post #1 of Old 11-05-2015, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Sdsjeep2008
2008 MK Compass 

Wheel speed sensor

I have a 2008 Compass, 2.4L 4WD.

I have a code C1044 - Right rear tone, which lights up the abs, 4wd, traction control and BAS lights. I had the vehicle on a lift and I thought someone here said you could just unbolt the sensor from the rear but all I can see is the connector. Do I need to remove the axle?

Also, I'm going to check the rings to see if they are dirty but may need to just replace the sensor and/or the wheel bearing assembly.

Question: With the code and lights activated, I know I can't engage 4WD but does that mean that I don't have AWD either? I only have FWD?

post #2 of Old 11-18-2015, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Sdsjeep2008
2008 MK Compass 

Update

UPDATE: the problem turned out to be the metal ring on the back of the wheel bearing that holds the sensor in place rusted and the sensor was just flopping around in there.

Replaced the wheel bearing (Moog $69) and it's fine.

Bad news was that my caliper bolts would not budge even using a torch and they had to be cut off and my caliper replaced. Same thing with the axle ($200 from a dealership).

At the same time, I had my mechanic (not at dealership) replace a rusty oil pan and a right outer tie rod end.

The left rear looks just as bad and will most likely need same work done soon. I can't believe how a 2008 vehicle with only 80,000 miles on it can have this much rust. The body and floor pans are in excellent condition though.

On a positive note, the rear brake pads are still the original and have lots of life left on them.

I had my front crossmember replaced under warranty last spring and the rear subframe will also be replaced under warranty once it's been condemed, which I believe won't be long. I do thank Jeep for honoring that 2007 warranty for me (it was built in 2007).
post #3 of Old 11-24-2015, 03:08 PM
thorton0

I had this same problem. I could not figure out what was supposed to hold the wheel speed sensor in place. so I disconnected the other side and broke that clip too. i had to change both wheel bearings. its stupid that you have to change the whole hub for a little clip