What's wrong with my brakes? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > What's wrong with my brakes?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #1
cj3bandtj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What's wrong with my brakes?

I don't think my rotors aren't wearing right in the rear of my jeep. It's almost like the groove is rounded out where the brake pads ride. They're doing this on both sides.

The brake pads are akebono ceramic and are only about 10,000 miles old. The rotors were put on at the same time. Everything was lubed up right and I even used the right grease for the calipers that was made for ceramic brake pads.

Anyone have any ideas?

image.jpg

cj3bandtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Cheap pads and rotors but the main cause is not washing the vehicle(more then the shiny painted parts,gotta get underneath and everything else) since they are severely corroded.

Only fix is to put new rotors and pads on and wash your vehicle more often,more so in the winter.
Unread 06-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
cj3bandtj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If that was the case, I would think that the front would be in the same condition. It's not, the front looks fine. Same brand pads and rotors. I didn't think akebono was a cheap brand of pads.

Thanks though, I appreciate your input. It's true though, NY winters are not easy on vehicles. Tons of salt.

I'm starting to think that part of it may be the rear struts are worn out and transferring a lot of the weight to the front when braking. I'm going to replace those since they're overdue. I'm also going to bleed the brake lines just to be safe. The peddle feels a little squishy. Then just to be safe I'll relive the caliper slide bolts.

Again, I do appreciate the input, thanks.
Unread 06-15-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj3bandtj View Post
If that was the case, I would think that the front would be in the same condition. It's not, the front looks fine. Same brand pads and rotors. I didn't think akebono was a cheap brand of pads.

Thanks though, I appreciate your input. It's true though, NY winters are not easy on vehicles. Tons of salt.

I'm starting to think that part of it may be the rear struts are worn out and transferring a lot of the weight to the front when braking. I'm going to replace those since they're overdue. I'm also going to bleed the brake lines just to be safe. The peddle feels a little squishy. Then just to be safe I'll relive the caliper slide bolts.

Again, I do appreciate the input, thanks.
Yes bad rear struts will cause the front to do more braking and why the fronts don't look like the rears as they are doing the braking.The salt there just took over as the rear brakes were not needed as much as the fronts.
Unread 06-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
katekebo

Based on the picture it appears that the outer pad is barely touching the rotor.
This could be caused by stuck calipers or seized pistons. You need to look at the other side of the rotor. If it is "shiny" as it should be, than you have stuck calipers. This can be cause by corrosion or using wrong lubricant during assembly. If the other side is also rough and barely worn, then you have seized pistons.
Bad / worn struts would not cause this effect, because rear brakes would still do some work. It only takes a little friction to keep the rotors "shiny".
Another possibility could be failure of your EBD controller, basically making the rear brakes useless. You can check simply by lifting the car, turning the wheel by hand and asking somebody to actuate the brakes. If there is no braking action on the rear brakes whatsoever, than its a failed EBD controller or seized piston(s).
katekebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by katekebo View Post
Based on the picture it appears that the outer pad is barely touching the rotor.
This could be caused by stuck calipers or seized pistons. You need to look at the other side of the rotor. If it is "shiny" as it should be, than you have stuck calipers. This can be cause by corrosion or using wrong lubricant during assembly. If the other side is also rough and barely worn, then you have seized pistons.
Bad / worn struts would not cause this effect, because rear brakes would still do some work. It only takes a little friction to keep the rotors "shiny".
Another possibility could be failure of your EBD controller, basically making the rear brakes useless. You can check simply by lifting the car, turning the wheel by hand and asking somebody to actuate the brakes. If there is no braking action on the rear brakes whatsoever, than its a failed EBD controller or seized piston(s).
That's the design of the pads,sloped ends for reduced noise.And worn struts(and shocks) can certainly cause this issue,see it on a daily basis.Good struts/shocks are key to having good braking action.You can have the best brakes in the world but worn struts/shocks will totally defeat them.

Also a failed ABS module will cause other issues and many lights on the dash.Stuck caliper pistons mainly result in overheated brakes that generally will be smoking after a short drive.
Unread 06-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
cj3bandtj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Tjkj2002, looks like you were more right then I originally thought. After replacing the struts I took off the pads and rotors and had em checked out at a local auto parts store where they actually know their stuff. He blamed it on corrosion as well. It makes sense to me now. Where the rotors had rust on them, they wore the brake pads quicker causing the deep grooves on the rotor. I re inspected the front rotors and pads and the outboard sides look fine, but the inboard sides are grooved as well. They're braking alright now but it's on the short list to be replaced with my next paycheck.

I'm going to start trying to drive it more in winter. Ever since I bought a second vehicle, my wife only drives the Patriot once a week. Looks like this has given he the rotors too much time to sit and rust in between trips. I've replaced the rear with ceramic pads again, but I didn't use akebono this time. I went with wearever's since I'm sure I'll end up replacing them again before their time anyway.

As a side note the stuts weren't awful, but they were worn out for sure.

Thanks for your help.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.