what tires are you daily driver guys running? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > what tires are you daily driver guys running?

Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 05-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

what tires are you daily driver guys running?

so the factory tires are starting to hum and drive me nuts at 45k miles, so i'm thinking of replacing them before one of my other two cars needs repairs and i can't afford it. this is the closest thing i've ever had to a truck or SUV, i've always had cars that i've put summer or high performance tires on, never a truck/suv tire. what are you guys running? it gets driven 80 miles a day and is NOT an off-road machine, so something tame but capable in the snow is what i want. what size won't mess with the speedometer? i have 215/60/17 on it now.

IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

When it comes to tires I feel you get what you pay for. I just purchased a ser of Goodyear Comfort tread touring tires a little over a month ago. Expensive, shop around but their pretty much around $200ea. Goodyear had a $80 rebate on a set of 4. I used their credit card and doubled rebate to $160.
Other tires I have used is Michelin Primacy, another set of Goodyear Comfort tires, and mutiple set of snow tires.

I drive upwards of 40,000mi. I run a nice and smooth quiet tire in summer. It still all season. I have a set of 17" wheels I use a dedicated winter tire with.

My biggest complaint about my Jeep Compass is road noise and sound insulation, or lack there of, lol. A smooth quiet tire helps.

Also I havn't had any tire issues in a long time, but once on a Mustang belts broke im a tire and they where really good tires and replaced it for me without cost to me and I really wasn't even asking or expecting them too, they were Goodyear tires.

Those Goodyear Comfort tread tourning tires are Goodyear's best of the best for passenger tires.
BTW, the tire I got does not come in a 215/55/18, I am running a 225/55/18.
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
so the factory tires are starting to hum and drive me nuts at 45k miles, so i'm thinking of replacing them before one of my other two cars needs repairs and i can't afford it. this is the closest thing i've ever had to a truck or SUV, i've always had cars that i've put summer or high performance tires on, never a truck/suv tire. what are you guys running? it gets driven 80 miles a day and is NOT an off-road machine, so something tame but capable in the snow is what i want. what size won't mess with the speedometer? i have 215/60/17 on it now.
Unfortunately, the stock tire sizes, be they the 16's or 17's( if you have a Compass 18's too ), do not have a lot of decent options out there. There are a few though. Also, while you can adjust the speedo for non stock tire sizes on many Chrysler vehicles you can not do so on Patriot & Compass models. All you can do is have the dealer do a flash to another stock size. That makes it impossible to have an accurate speedo if you upsize tires to get a good one. Tire options for the Patriot and Compass, if you want a quality tire, are limited at best.

So with that said here are some options for you that are available in your stock tire size and that are good tires overall as well as in the snow...

P215/60R-17:
Hankook Optimo H727
Michelin Defender
Continental ProContact w/ EcoPlus
Cooper CS4 Touring
Yokohama Geolander AT/S( NOTE - this is an All Terrain and not really what you are after but figured I would list it as it is a good tire and is offered in your stock size - you will take a hit in MPG with these and they won't last as long as an All Season though )

You could also go up to the larger stock 17" size( would require speedo flash through dealer to keep speedo accurate )which would give you a little more sidewall height and thus a better ride. These tires are offered in this size and are good tires overall as well as in the snow...

P215/65R-17:
Hankook Optimo H727
Michelin Defender
Cooper CS4 Touring
Firestone Precision Touring

If you upsize 1 size past the largest stock 17 you get into a whole bunch of quality tire options. You will also experience a much improved ride as these tires will have more sidewall height and thus absorb more of the bumps you go over. Your speedo will be innacurate though. However, if you have the dealer flash your speedo to the largest stock 17" size it is only off a little bit. I did this on my 2011 Patriot. I really didn't want my speedo to be off but I just couldn't find a tire I really wanted so I upsized one and had the dealer flash my speedo to the 215/65R17 size and my speedo is only off a small amount. Less than 1 MPH up to around 45 and only off 2 MPH @ 60. When my speedo says I am going 60 I am really going 62. So I adjust accordingly.

You can upsize to 225/65R17's and not have any rubbing issues( largest you can run before it becomes an issue )and you have some really good tires to choose from...

225/65R-17:
Firestone Destination LE 2( I have these and HIGHLY recommend them! see below )
General Grabber HTS( excellent tire )
Firestone Precision Touring
BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tour
Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza
Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia
Michelin Defender
Yokohama Geolander AT/S

Firestone Destination LE2 in 225/65R-17 is what I am running on my 2011 Patriot. Like you I don't off road but need my tires to perform very well in the snow. I don't want to mess around with snow tires and having to swap rims/tires 2X's a year, nor do I want to run AT's which cost more and impact ride/MPG either, so I just get a quality AS tire that is good year round( hard for the Patriot & Compass due to tire size issues ). I also fish and waterfowl hunt so it means towing my boat from April - Feb. Ramps can be muddy or snow/ice covered depending on time of year which makes it "interesting" launching and pulling my boat. I have a pretty demanding set of needs for an All Season tire.

In the past I always had 4WD full sized truck. I downsized to the Patriot for a variety of reasons but bad weather ability was definitely high on the list of must have abilities. The stock tire offerings made that tough though. In the past I ran Firestone Destination LE's( the LE2's are a new tire replacing the LE's )on my trucks and they did great in the snow. My plan was to go from the dealer to the tire store and replace the OE tires with the Destination LE's but I didn't realize the issue with the stock sizes used on these vehicles making it so hard to get a good tire.

I tried waiting a while to see if they would be offered but finally it got to the point I needed to do something as towing my boat in the snow was a real adventure with the stock tires( they were ok when not towing ). The new LE2's were not offered in a stock size either though so I had no choice but to upsize. I have been very happy with the move however as the ride is vastly improved, it is actually quieter, and the bad weather performance is outstanding as I have come to expect from Firestone Destination series tires.

Seeing as you are only concerned with on road stuff and bad weather performance( I assume no duck boats to tow in the snow like me )you could pick one of the stock size tires above and do fine. Probably the best bang for the buck( tread life, bad weather performance, and cost )would be the Hankook Optimo H727's. A very good, long life, affordable tire that does very well in the snow. They are a popular tire for Patriot & Compass owners who stay on road but have bad weather needs.

I would suggest you at least consider upgrading to 225/65R-17's for a greatly improved ride. The LE2's in this size are not much more $$$ than the tires avaible in the stock sizes and they are leaps and bounds superior to them.

Hope this helps you out.

The LE2's and some shots of them on my Patriot...

Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Redpine
2014 MK Patriot 

Thank you NHPATRIOT.

The Destination LE 2 is considered to be a light truck tire vs. the H727 being a passenger car tire. Do you think there are any disadvantages of a light truck tire regarding road noise, ride comfort, and mpg??

Thanks.
Redpine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redpine View Post
Thank you NHPATRIOT.

The Destination LE 2 is considered to be a light truck tire vs. the H727 being a passenger car tire. Do you think there are any disadvantages of a light truck tire regarding road noise, ride comfort, and mpg??

Thanks.
Yes, I know the Destination's are light truck tires. I wanted that. The Patriot should come with them not passenger car tires.

No, I do not feel there is any disadvantage in running a true light truck/suv class tire vs a passenger car class tire. At least not when you are talking all seasons. All terrains is a different situation. Also, IMO, you will get better snow performance out of the tread patterns you see on light truck all seasons vs passenger car all seasons.

The LE2's actually give a better ride( some of that is due to the taller sidewall ), are quieter, and my MPG is unchanged compared to the OEM Affinity's which were a passenger car class tire.
Active Drive I
Unread 05-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

A light truck tire is built to carry heavier loads and provide better traction than a passenger tire, I would go with a truck tire on a jeep.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Boggers and super swampers.

In all seriousness I had good luck with wrangler radials in the 235/75r15 size

Sent from go home iPhone your drunk.
Unread 05-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I've had a set of these on my passenger car tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Loved them, great traction, even in snow. on my dd, I have continental dws' and they are pretty awesome, but i don't see them in your current size, but I do see them in a 225/50-18.
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

looking at light truck tires, how do you guys feel about pirelli scorpions?

for some reason, there is a HUGE price difference between tirerack and discounttiredirect, which is unusual. tirerack is at $112 a tire, discounttiredirect is at $189
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:29 AM   #10
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I have not had the scorpions, but I have had other Pirelli tires before and have never liked them...
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #11
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
looking at light truck tires, how do you guys feel about pirelli scorpions?

for some reason, there is a HUGE price difference between tirerack and discounttiredirect, which is unusual. tirerack is at $112 a tire, discounttiredirect is at $189
AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!! Horrible tires overall plus they flat out stink in the snow.
Active Drive I
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

that's the consensus i got on another forum as well. they're telling me to get something like michelin defenders, but you guys are saying to get light duty truck tires?
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #13
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

depends on the kind of driving you're doing I guess, more than anything? do you carry a lot of heavy loads, or just commuting driving? does your compass ever see any kind of dirt road or always pavement?
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #14
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
that's the consensus i got on another forum as well. they're telling me to get something like michelin defenders, but you guys are saying to get light duty truck tires?
No, I am saying I prefer light truck tires( in general for suv's )and feel that is what should have come on the Patriot as it is 4WD and also off road capable. Car tires on a 4WD is a waste. Ok to put them on the FWD ones but the 4WD's should have had light truck class tires. Also pointed out they will be better in the snow due to tread pattern as a rule.

You never leave the pavement you said so passenger car class tires are ok for you. Also, unless you upsize to 225's it is a moot point as the only non winter light truck tire available in the stock 17" sizes is the Yokohama Geolander AT-S and you don't want/need an AT. Well, there is the Gooodyear Wrangler SR-A that comes stock on the FDII's. It is a light truck tire but it is a POS so don't do it.

Michelin Defender is a good tire but pretty $$$. I would get the Hankook Optimo H727's before I would get the Michelins unless I had one helluva a rebate/deal.
Active Drive I
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #15
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
depends on the kind of driving you're doing I guess, more than anything? do you carry a lot of heavy loads, or just commuting driving? does your compass ever see any kind of dirt road or always pavement?
it's a daily driver, mainly for my wife, but it's also our family runner. living in the northeast it does see snow, and needs to get through it. but it doesn't leave the pavement, other than to go into the grass at the park.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.