what oil filter and oil change frequency - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > what oil filter and oil change frequency

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Reply
Unread 05-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #31
JGCGEORGE
Registered User
2013 MK Patriot 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Herminie Pa, PA
Posts: 93
Just got this patriot, the wife likes it and that's all that really matters to me. It came with 6 free oil changes from the dealer. It will get those 6 from there when ever the OLM says, and the oil will be whatever synthetic they have. After that it will be Amsoil signature series oil and their filter when ever it dings. I also have a 12 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, I installed a bypass system on it. I run a Fleetguard full flow filter, Amsoil 2 micron bypass filter and Amsoil 5w40, It gets sampled every time it says change the oil. I send it off $25 and see if it actually needs changed. This is beneficial on my truck since it holds 3.5 gallons of oil. All filters and all oil are not created equal.

__________________
Jeep Jeep
JGCGEORGE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #32
darrent15
Registered User
2013 MK Patriot 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: APO, AP
Posts: 15
I was wondering what oil to use and after searching the web and looking at peoples post, I went with Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5w20. I did my first oil change at 2000 and then at 10000 miles. I only had the Pat for about 7 months and Im at 17000 mile, all highway of course. Havent had any engine troubles so far, but going to get my first official servicing soon.
darrent15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #33
NHPATRIOT
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Exeter, NH
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrent15 View Post
I was wondering what oil to use and after searching the web and looking at peoples post, I went with Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5w20. I did my first oil change at 2000 and then at 10000 miles. I only had the Pat for about 7 months and Im at 17000 mile, all highway of course. Havent had any engine troubles so far, but going to get my first official servicing soon.
PP is good oil and meets all of your warranty requirements.

For 2013 Patriot's the maximum allowed for OCI is 1 year or 10,000 miles( whichever occurs 1st - page 446 of owner's manual ). PP should be able to handle that although it might not be a bad idea to do a UOA( used oil analysis )around 7500 just to see how it is holding up under your use and get an idea if 10K is too much. Most of your driving appears to be higwhay which is easy on oil so it shouldn't be an issue. Always a good idea to make sure though IMO.

When running OCI's up to and over 10K I personally believe in running a premium oil filter. Just too many miles(IMO) for standard filters. I would look at running one of the following( part #'s through a part's website )...
  • Royal Purple # 10-48
  • Bosch Distance Plus D3334
  • Purolator Synthetic # PSL12222
  • Mobil 1 # M1-113
  • K&N # HP-1017
  • Napa Platinum # 47060( online uses PFL in front of the # )
__________________
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Latitude
3.2L Pentastar V6
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #34
bigkat91
Registered User
2011 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Moravia
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post

PP is good oil and meets all of your warranty requirements.

For 2013 Patriot's the maximum allowed for OCI is 1 year or 10,000 miles( whichever occurs 1st - page 446 of owner's manual ). PP should be able to handle that although it might not be a bad idea to do a UOA( used oil analysis )around 7500 just to see how it is holding up under your use and get an idea if 10K is too much. Most of your driving appears to be higwhay which is easy on oil so it shouldn't be an issue. Always a good idea to make sure though IMO.

When running OCI's up to and over 10K I personally believe in running a premium oil filter. Just too many miles(IMO) for standard filters. I would look at running one of the following( part #'s through a part's website )...

[*]Royal Purple # 10-48[*]Bosch Distance Plus D3334[*]Purolator Synthetic # PSL12222[*]Mobil 1 # M1-113[*]K&N # HP-1017[*]Napa Platinum # 47060( online uses PFL in front of the # )
I second your advice. I have ran a PF 63 equivalent a couple times with no issues yet. It's a longer version of the PF 48. A little more oil = a little more protection. I.E. more additives and just plain oil. Gives you a little buffer in case you missed an OCI by 500-1000 miles.
__________________
2011 Compass 59K miles
RRO Lift
Tires:225 65 17
bigkat91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #35
FujativeOCR
Registered User
2011 MK Patriot 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Newfoundland, Center of the Universe
Posts: 878
This reminds me I need one before July 8th. 6 months, only 4,000 miles
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #36
KayCeeJeep
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 1,146
Excellent posts guys! You don't often see that kind of "oil sense" on JF what a breath of fresh air.

If longer OCI's interest you I agree that is the exact reason "premium" filters exist. The Fram Ultra is a tremendous filter and commonly available for about 9 bucks another good option. Don't confuse the Ultra with the rest of their line, the only similarity is the brand name.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #37
vinniej
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 20
I know they are making money by doing it, but since I don't get an oil analysis done, we've been doing every 5k on the wife's jeep.

My truck I'm doing every 3k because the dealer is doing it free for life.
vinniej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #38
goobie1
Registered User
2011 MK Patriot 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rky Mtns, US
Posts: 17
Advancements in engine materials mean you don't have to change your oil every 3000 miles nowadays. I am currently using Amsoil due to the high mileage I drive. The oil change indicator light is not based on usage . It is nothing but a tripometer.
goobie1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #39
NHPATRIOT
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Exeter, NH
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by goobie1 View Post
Advancements in engine materials mean you don't have to change your oil every 3000 miles nowadays. I am currently using Amsoil due to the high mileage I drive. The oil change indicator light is not based on usage . It is nothing but a tripometer.
Most OLM's are not mileage based and definitely not the one's used in the Patriot/Compass. Not sure where you got that info but it is not correct.

Most OLM's work off a formula programmed into the vehicles computer that takes into account various factors( varies from mfg to mfg )from RPM to idle time to ambient temperatures and so on. Then, based on how the OLM is programmed to reduce oil life based on those factors as you drive your driving style reduces the oil's service life( according to OLM ).

OLM's do not actually monitor the oil however. The mfg bases their OLM's formula on the oil spec'd for the vehicle( 5W20 conventional for Patriot/Compass ). It won't know if you have top of the line Royal Purple synthetic in there, a quality conventional oil like Valvoline or Pennzoil in there, a bargain basement Accel non detergent oil in there, or even vegetable oil in there. It will reduce the oil service life the same based on how you drive regardless of oil type.

It is not however mileage based. That is why you will see a notation in the owner's manual telling the owner's if the OLM hasn't tripped by a certain maximum allowed time or mileage figure to have the oil changed. For my 2011 it is 6 months or 8,000 miles. Newer models it has been bumped to a year or 10,000 miles.

Also, the increase away from the traditional 3 month or 3000 mile oil change standard is also due in part to better oils. Back when 3/3000 was the norm that was about all the oils could handle. Not so these days. Oils are vastly improved.
__________________
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Latitude
3.2L Pentastar V6
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #40
IRSmart
Registered User
2011 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
Most OLM's are not mileage based and definitely not the one's used in the Patriot/Compass. Not sure where you got that info but it is not correct.

Most OLM's work off a formula programmed into the vehicles computer that takes into account various factors( varies from mfg to mfg )from RPM to idle time to ambient temperatures and so on. Then, based on how the OLM is programmed to reduce oil life based on those factors as you drive your driving style reduces the oil's service life( according to OLM ).

OLM's do not actually monitor the oil however. The mfg bases their OLM's formula on the oil spec'd for the vehicle( 5W20 conventional for Patriot/Compass ). It won't know if you have top of the line Royal Purple synthetic in there, a quality conventional oil like Valvoline or Pennzoil in there, a bargain basement Accel non detergent oil in there, or even vegetable oil in there. It will reduce the oil service life the same based on how you drive regardless of oil type.

It is not however mileage based. That is why you will see a notation in the owner's manual telling the owner's if the OLM hasn't tripped by a certain maximum allowed time or mileage figure to have the oil changed. For my 2011 it is 6 months or 8,000 miles. Newer models it has been bumped to a year or 10,000 miles.

Also, the increase away from the traditional 3 month or 3000 mile oil change standard is also due in part to better oils. Back when 3/3000 was the norm that was about all the oils could handle. Not so these days. Oils are vastly improved.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #41
NHPATRIOT
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Exeter, NH
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
__________________
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Latitude
3.2L Pentastar V6
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #42
goobie1
Registered User
2011 MK Patriot 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rky Mtns, US
Posts: 17
Honda gave me same BS when I bought a 2010 CRV, to just follow their "maintenance minder" system that monitered everything & it would let you know when & what service was needed. Turns out it comes on at exactly 7500 mile intervals all the time. It is not usage based either. Traded in a BMW for the Honda. It had their system of little lights on the instrument panel that were supposed to tell you when to get service. It was not usage based either. Just use good quality oil & filters, change it more frequently the the mfg says, but you can go longer then 3000 miles now.
goobie1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #43
NHPATRIOT
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Exeter, NH
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by goobie1 View Post
Honda gave me same BS when I bought a 2010 CRV, to just follow their "maintenance minder" system that monitered everything & it would let you know when & what service was needed. Turns out it comes on at exactly 7500 mile intervals all the time. It is not usage based either. Traded in a BMW for the Honda. It had their system of little lights on the instrument panel that were supposed to tell you when to get service. It was not usage based either. Just use good quality oil & filters, change it more frequently the the mfg says, but you can go longer then 3000 miles now.
It is not BS. It is possible those mfg's use a mileage based trip. Chrysler does not in the Patriot/Compass. Simple fact whether you choose to believe it or not. If you trip the OLM light at a consistent mileage in a Patriot/Compass then that means you drive the same all the time.
__________________
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Latitude
3.2L Pentastar V6
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.