what oil filter and oil change frequency - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > what oil filter and oil change frequency

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Reply
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #16
IRSmart
Registered User
2011 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
My 2011 manual says 8,000 or 6 months. I do it every 3,000 at the dealer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
Why would you not use what the manual said?
kind of an ironic statement, no?

OP, just wait until the oil change reminder comes up. sometimes you won't see it until 8,000 miles. the car monitors your driving habits and bases the oil change intervals based on that and other factors. sometimes you'll see it come on at 3,000 miles, sometimes at 7,000 or 8,000. those of you that are ignoring the reminder and just doing it every 3,000 miles aren't hurting your engine, but you are throwing money away. it doesn't need to be done that often.

IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #17
FujativeOCR
Registered User
2011 MK Patriot 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Newfoundland, Center of the Universe
Posts: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart

kind of an ironic statement, no?

OP, just wait until the oil change reminder comes up. sometimes you won't see it until 8,000 miles. the car monitors your driving habits and bases the oil change intervals based on that and other factors. sometimes you'll see it come on at 3,000 miles, sometimes at 7,000 or 8,000. those of you that are ignoring the reminder and just doing it every 3,000 miles aren't hurting your engine, but you are throwing money away. it doesn't need to be done that often.
Yes i suppose it is. Good point. I was thinking along the lines of parts or fluids being used. But isnt that a maximum interval? 3,000 was the dealers recommendation. And its kind of a carryover from years of that being the standard for oil change intervals.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #18
KayCeeJeep
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 1,085
Here we go, the internet Fram hate hysteria begins. Yes I have used, and cut open, plenty of them. They work fine.

We can agree the same money will usually get you a better filter, I did mention that the first time. Purolators and Motorcrafts usually cost about the same as the orange can and you get more for your money.

For a Jeep/Chrysler product though, you are not going to find more bang for your buck than a Motorcraft, my favorite entry level filter by far. They are made by Purolator just like Mopar's, but have the addition of a silicone anti-drain back valve (if you get an "S" series) instead of nitrile rubber and they cost a couple dollars less than the otherwise identical Mopar's as well. What's not to like?
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #19
NHPATRIOT
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Exeter, NH
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayCeeJeep View Post
Here we go, the internet Fram hate hysteria begins. Yes I have used, and cut open, plenty of them. They work fine.

We can agree the same money will usually get you a better filter, I did mention that the first time. Purolators and Motorcrafts usually cost about the same as the orange can and you get more for your money.

For a Jeep/Chrysler product though, you are not going to find more bang for your buck than a Motorcraft, my favorite entry level filter by far. They are made by Purolator just like Mopar's, but have the addition of a silicone anti-drain back valve (if you get an "S" series) instead of nitrile rubber and they cost a couple dollars less than the otherwise identical Mopar's as well. What's not to like?


So because I disagree with you I am posting "internet hate hysteria"? Just FYI I used to use them, back before I learned not to, and lost an engine due to the Fram oil filter failing. Also, I used to sell them and saw quite a few failures of their filters. I don't post based on rumors and myths. I have personal experience, as I stated, with that crappy filter company.

In fairness this was quite a few years ago but I don't feel anything has changed with the company. I have not seen/read anything that has convinced me they are worth trying again.

Fool me once = shame on you
Fool me twice = shame on me
__________________
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Latitude
3.2L Pentastar V6
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #20
NHPATRIOT
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Exeter, NH
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj View Post
iirc , using a non stock filter can void engine warrentys when something bad happens

get one from the dealer or the same part number they use
This is totally incorrect. At least in the USA. Warranty of a failed engine can NOT be denied because you used a non OEM oil filter. By law( Magnuson Moss Act )you can use aftermarket parts and your warranty is fine.

There are just a couple points worth mentioning about the MMA however that people need to know when using aftermarket parts...

1 - You have to use the correct part by application for your vehicle.

2 - The car mfg actually can refuse coverage if it shown that the aftermarket part itself failed which directly lead to the failure. In that case they can( and will )refuse to cover the repair. In the case of an oil filter you would have to go after the oil filter mfg to get your engine fixed.

3 - If the car mfg requires that ONLY OEM parts and fluids can be used they must provide them free of charge.

You are absolutely fine using an aftermarket oil filter. Your warranty is 100% safe as long as the filter itself doesn't fail and cause engine damage. If that happened the car mfg can deny coverage as said above. Just because an aftermarket oil filter is being used however does not mean the car mfg can automatically refuse all engine warranty repairs. They must, by law, be able to prove that the filter directly lead to the failure.
__________________
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Latitude
3.2L Pentastar V6
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #21
970001zj
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,016
ok well theres a thread floating about where a guy had this issue and got screwed

but whatever

read the small print on your paper work for the real deal
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/its-jeep-grand-cherokee-you-1443132/#post14516738
970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #22
cuemark8
Registered User
2007 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Imler, PA
Posts: 103
I change my oil every 6,000 mi. Manual says 3,000 mi for severe driving. 6,000 mi for normal driving. I do almost all highway miles. I usually use a sythetic oil, not always, sometimes I use a high mileage oil, like Pennzoil highmileage. Mostly I use Pennzoil Platinium or Pennzoil Ultra or Mobil 1.

I use whatever is best deal or sale at Walmart when I buy it.
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #23
KayCeeJeep
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
So because I disagree with you I am posting "internet hate hysteria"? [/I]
No I mostly posted that because as soon as you posted the piling on started (see posts after yours) nothing personal intended. You have your reasons not to use them but this is generally the way all filter threads go the minute somebody mentions FRAM.

It's still a free country (barely ) everyone is free to use what they want. I still believe the best deal for a Jeep owner is a Motorcraft and I posted as much, although I still will use an orange can once in a while.

Here's one of my orange can Frams I ran a full 5k as you can see it did what I asked of it just fine and I only paid 2 bucks and change for it on special.

KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #24
NHPATRIOT
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Exeter, NH
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj View Post
ok well theres a thread floating about where a guy had this issue and got screwed

but whatever

read the small print on your paper work for the real deal
Read the Magnuson Moss Act for the real deal. It is the law in this country.

I haven't seen this thread you talk of on here so I don't know the whole story to accurately comment on it but in a general way, assuming there was engine damage and an aftermarket oil filter was used, the following applies...

I assume when you say "the guy got screwed" you mean warranty coverage was denied on an engine failure of some type. If so...

The car mfg could legally deny the repair if the filter itself failed and caused the damage. In that case the car mfg is not required to repair the damage. If that was the case the guy should have gone after the oil filter mfg as they would be liable for the repair.

If the filter itself didn't fail however then the car mfg was legally bound to honor the warranty as long as the guy was using the correct filter and did his OC's on time. If that was the case the guy didn't stand up for himself or was not educated on the law and let the dealer/car mfg get away with something. In this instance the guy screwed himself.

Aftermarket filters( or other parts/fluids )do not void warranty just by their use. The filter itself has to fail and directly cause the failure. That is the law all car mfg's in this country are required to follow. Unless the car mfg provides the oil filters( or whatever part/fluid )free they can not require you use OEM brand to preserve warranty.

To deny a repair because of aftermarket parts the car mfg must be able to show/prove the damage was a direct result of said aftermarket part/fluid. THAT is the real deal.

NOTE - this applies to the factory warranty the car mfg provides with your vehicle. The same rules do not apply to aftermarket warranties that can require more of you.
__________________
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Latitude
3.2L Pentastar V6
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #25
IRSmart
Registered User
2011 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
Yes i suppose it is. Good point. I was thinking along the lines of parts or fluids being used. But isnt that a maximum interval? 3,000 was the dealers recommendation. And its kind of a carryover from years of that being the standard for oil change intervals.
trust me, that's the dealership's recommendation because if you come back every 3,000 miles instead of every 7,000 miles, they have more opportunities to sell you in the service department. follow your oil change reminder and you'll be fine.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #26
FujativeOCR
Registered User
2011 MK Patriot 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Newfoundland, Center of the Universe
Posts: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart

trust me, that's the dealership's recommendation because if you come back every 3,000 miles instead of every 7,000 miles, they have more opportunities to sell you in the service department. follow your oil change reminder and you'll be fine.
Maybe I'll stretch it out and see what I'm comfortable with. What have manufacturers changed in recent years that allow motors to run so long without changing the oil as opposed to 3k from yesteryear?
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #27
KayCeeJeep
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
Maybe I'll stretch it out and see what I'm comfortable with. What have manufacturers changed in recent years that allow motors to run so long without changing the oil as opposed to 3k from yesteryear?
Today's engines run much cleaner, (for example, no more carb's) and today's oils are much, much better as well. Both result in longer oil change intervals being possible.

The 3k oil change is dead today except under true "severe schedule" use.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #28
IRSmart
Registered User
2011 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
Maybe I'll stretch it out and see what I'm comfortable with. What have manufacturers changed in recent years that allow motors to run so long without changing the oil as opposed to 3k from yesteryear?
nothing "recently", but several decades ago. the 3k mile oil change interval is an antiquated policy set in place in a time when the quality of the engines and materials used in them was not as high as it is today.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #29
bigkat91
Registered User
2011 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Moravia
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post

nothing "recently", but several decades ago. the 3k mile oil change interval is an antiquated policy set in place in a time when the quality of the engines and materials used in them was not as high as it is today.
We no longer have cast iron blocks that take forever to warm up. Hot oil losses water and that helps fight sludge.
__________________
2011 Compass 59K miles
RRO Lift
Tires:225 65 17
bigkat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #30
FujativeOCR
Registered User
2011 MK Patriot 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Newfoundland, Center of the Universe
Posts: 878
Sounds legit
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.