what oil filter and oil change frequency - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > what oil filter and oil change frequency

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
dirtdad
1996 ZJ 

what oil filter and oil change frequency

so our new Patriot is at 5200 miles, and the manual says to change the oil within 500 miles of the change oil message, which has not come up yet. I am thinking that I will just change the oil at 6000, and probably use mobil 1, and then go with the oil change message from then on, but never let it exceed 10,000 miles (as per the manual). What brand of oil filter do you guys like?

Unread 05-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

My 2011 manual says 8,000 or 6 months. I do it every 3,000 at the dealer.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

I did 1000 miles for first oil change..every 3k after at dealer
Lehman26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

I like your oil change schedule plans, for filters Motorcrafts "S" series filters are the bargain bomb for Chrysler products. Silicone Anti-Drainback valves, thread end bypass and TONS of filtering media, all for 4 bucks just about anywhere. That would be my recommendation, but since your Jeep is new and the engine clean, virtually any name brand filter, even the entry level ones, will last as long as you care to run it.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

I change my oil every 6k mi. in my 2007 Compass. Manual says no more than 6k mi. I usually use a synthetic oil, not always, some times I use high mileage oil. I just use a cheap FRAM filter. Never had any issues with any filters.
While on the subject, what viscosity of oil? Manualnsays 5w-20. I use that or 0w-20. Anybody else use 0w-20?
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:43 AM   #6
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Why would you not use what the manual said?
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #7
bigkat91
2011 MK Compass 

0w-20 or 5w-20 works. The 0w is better cold flow protection than a 5w. It's marginal but still better to have 0w-20 in a colder environment than 5w-20. I recall my dad saying in the winter his tractor manual called for a straight 10w and if it got really cold a little kerosene wouldn't hurt.
bigkat91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #8
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdad View Post
so our new Patriot is at 5200 miles, and the manual says to change the oil within 500 miles of the change oil message, which has not come up yet. I am thinking that I will just change the oil at 6000, and probably use mobil 1, and then go with the oil change message from then on, but never let it exceed 10,000 miles (as per the manual). What brand of oil filter do you guys like?
Seeing as you have a 2013 you can go up to 1 year or 10,000 as you have clearly read or follow the OLM if you choose. IMO seeing as Chrysler allows for 1 year and 10,000 OCI's it is a no brainer to run a quality synthetic oil and extended drain capable filter and take advantage of that long OCI that is allowed for. Less money and hassle for you. If you want to go by the OLM a good quality conventional oil and filter will be enough.

Mobil 1 oil with a Mobil 1 filter would be good for a year and 10,000 most likely. With "any oil" you plan to run for a year and 10,000 having a UOA done a couple times just to make sure the oil is up to it is a good idea. Once you see that the oil holds up to that long service life you are usually good to go. I am not a big fan of Mobil 1 fluids but their filters are very good.

I run Royal Purple oil with a Royal Purple filter in my 2011 and it is a very good combo( I can only go 6/8000 though while under warranty ). Here are some other oils( that meet all your warranty requirements and are available in 5W20 )and fiilters( available for Patriot )to consider that are 12/10,000 capable if they are easier to find near you.

SYNTHETIC OILS:
  • Royal Purple( API Licensed Oil )
  • Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic w/ Liquid Titanium( Kendall is my 2nd choice behind RP for fluids - GREAT stuff )
  • Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum
  • Valvoline Synpower
  • Amsoil XL

EXTENDED DRAIN CAPABLE FILTERS:
  • Royal Purple 10-48
  • Mobil 1 M1-113
  • K&N Gold HP-1017
  • Purolator Synthetic PSL12222
  • Bosch Distance Plus D3334
  • Napa Platinum 47060
  • Amsoil EA15K50

If you decide to stick with 5-6K OCI's you really don't need one of the oil's or oil fiilters above. Certainly you can use them but you don't "need" to. One of the oils or oil filters listed below will do the job for the shorter OCI for less $$$...

CONVENTIONAL/BLEND OILS:
  • Kendall GT-1 Blend w/ Liquid Titanium
  • Kendall GT-1 w/ Liquid Titanium
  • Valvoline DuraBlend
  • Valvoline
  • Pennzoil
  • Castrol GTX

STANDARD DRAIN FILTERS:
  • MOPAR 4892339AA
  • Wix 57060
  • Napa Gold( same as Wix ) 7060
  • Purolator PureOne PL12222
  • Purolator Classic L12222
  • Bosch Premium 3334
  • K&N Pro Series PS-1017
  • Baldwin B7443
  • Hastings LF636
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

What is wrong with just a cheap FRAM filter? No one here seems to reccommend them. I drive crazy miles. I don't think the filter is that big of deal. Cheaps ones work fine. In reality the engine wouldn't even need to have a filter. It's just insurance. Think about it, most of the small engines like lawn mowers don't have oil filters.
Extended life filterd or so called really good filters, meaning those that filter smaller micron size particles, may not be that good. The finer the particles the filter separates, the more restrictive the filter becomes on oil flow. It is hard for the oil pump to push oil through a really fine filter and therefore oil flow is resticted. So buying an extremely good filter may eliminate super fine particles but it can rob the engine of vital oil flow.
This is why some better filters, like in race cars, can have a bypass valve built into them once oil flow is resticted to much.

I got 225k mi. on my 2007 Compass right now my oil and filters seemed to work for me.

To answer another comment earlier. I'm not positive on this. When my Compass was new in 2007, OW-20 motor oil wasn't on the market yet. I pretty sure I read somewhere in a manual or bulletin that Chrysler stated that 0W-20 oil was acceptable where 5W-20 oil was recommended.
As I understand it, any and all 0W-20 oil is fully synthetic. To get the base stock to make that visocity of oil it is synthetic. There is no conventional oil that will give a 0 weight oil.
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuemark8 View Post
What is wrong with just a cheap FRAM filter? No one here seems to reccommend them. I drive crazy miles. I don't think the filter is that big of deal. Cheaps ones work fine.
Nothing at all, cheap Frams work just fine despite the "internet hysteria" that surrounds them. I still use them occassionally and did for decades before that with no known issues. The kicker with Frams is the same 4 bucks will get you a lot more filter elsewhere, like a Puro Classic or even better a Motorcraft.

The oil is way more important than the filter, as long as the filter is at least adequate, pretty much all name brand entry level filters are easily up to the task at hand.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayCeeJeep View Post
Nothing at all, cheap Frams work just fine despite the "internet hysteria" that surrounds them. I still use them occassionally and did for decades before that with no known issues. The kicker with Frams is the same 4 bucks will get you a lot more filter elsewhere, like a Puro Classic or even better a Motorcraft.

The oil is way more important than the filter, as long as the filter is at least adequate, pretty much all name brand entry level filters are easily up to the task at hand.
I will agree and disagree with the above.

Disagree that the cheap Frams work just fine. They SUCK! Just terrible. Cheap components and cheap construction. A time bomb waiting to happen and I speak from personal experience. I will never again run a Fram oil filter. Their other stuff is ok but you couldn't pay me to run an oil filter they make.

Also completely disagree that the filter is not as important as the oil. IMO it is a 50/50 split. Filter choice is as big a deal as the oil choice is to me.

I agree however that for the same cost as a cheap Fram you can get a good quality filter( many times OEM like MOPAR, AC, MTC, etc... ).

Even if you think Fram is a good filter and not a risk to use it makes no sense to use them as you can buy a better filter for the same or even less $$$.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
hmantractors
1979 CJ7 

Filters

Boy you guys really need to cut your filters into. Fram has a great marketing scheme. GM, Ford, Chrysler their filters are CRAP! WIX, STP, HASTINGS make great filters and are not that much. You just can't get them at Walmart. If it were me, I would change oil w/filter every 5000 miles. 3000 is just to often. If you were using a good filter you would not be concerned about how much it cost. Oil is a hell of a lot more higher. I change mine every 5000 miles, my cummins 5.9 gets changed every 10,000 miles. Nearly 200,000 miles later, still looks like new inside. Every modern day engine has a built in oil bypass, it is not just a race car thing. And I do agree the filter is just as important as the oil choice. A quality filter will have 50 percent more filtering element, therefore it will not clog as quick as a cheap filter.
hmantractors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #13
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I think ive used Frams on every car ive ever owned and never seen a downside to using one. Right now im using whatever filter the dealer puts on, probably a Mopar, whatever that is. But never seen a bad side effect of using a fram.
Unread 05-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #14
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

iirc , using a non stock filter can void engine warrentys when something bad happens

get one from the dealer or the same part number they use
970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:30 AM   #15
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj
iirc , using a non stock filter can void engine warrentys when something bad happens

get one from the dealer or the same part number they use
Tis why i do my changes at the dealer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.