What did you trade-in for your Patriot or Compass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > What did you trade-in for your Patriot or Compass

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 01-15-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What did you trade-in for your Patriot or Compass

Okay, this is your chance to vent about the awful car/truck that you gladly traded to get your Patriot or Compass. Tell us about all of the things that frustrated you about your old vehicle, and why you like your new Jeep better. I'd love to hear it!

I traded a 2005 Nissan X-terra. I really loved the truck, but the build quality was horrible. The ABS computer died at 400 miles, and left the dashboard dead-none of the guages worked and every idiot light was on. The dealer fixed it saying it was a fluke. The driver's side window always chattered when I raised it from a fully opened position. I could never get all the snow off the roof (I'm 5 feet tall). When the snow would melt and refreeze, it made a solid chunk of ice that would rattle the roof and threaten to take out someone's windshield. I had to stand on the siderails and try to shove off collosal chunks of ice. The coup de gras was when the cam seal started leaking (it had 23,000 miles on it then). It made an unsettling burning oil smell when I would be coming off the highway-great! It was 6 months from the end of the manufacturer's warrentee. The dealership said that they would need my car for 2 days while they ripped apart the engine to get to the seals to fix them. The problem was they could never get the parts. It took them a month to get them in.

Sadly, the mighty Nissan caused us so much trouble that I will never think of purchasing a Nissan again. I'm the happy owner of a Jeep green 2008 Patriot, with an awesome moonroof, tinted windows, 5 speed (which I love), and the power package I wanted. I was really happy with what I got for the price.

How about it-care to share your story?

JeepinGirlCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

I traded a 1991 Mazda 626. The thing constantly ticked (tappets), and was constantly taking money out of my wallet for repairs. I spent more on repairs than what I paid for the car!! That's to be expected with 2nd hand cars though...
mdls4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2008, 04:18 AM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

My trade was an '88 Dakota, 2WD, Auto, rust bucket with 3.91 gears That every time it changed gears in snow or ice it would go sideways. The drivers side floor board really was a piece of plywood, the rear brake line had rusted out along with the fuel tank strap and the rear shocks. Replaced the trans around 65K and the drivers fresh air vent was broken and wouldn't close, duct tape worked for a while. Oh, ya, about 14/15 mpg or so.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
Doba

I actually regret this one. Traded my 02 Nissan Altima 3.5L V6. Got roughly the same mileage around town actually.

Doba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
Jeepster55

sorry, i apparently misunderstood the thread. i thought you wanted to know what i traded my Patriot or Compass for. actually i traded my Wrangler for my Compass. am i bass ackwards or what?
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2008, 03:50 AM   #6
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster55
sorry, i apparently misunderstood the thread. i thought you wanted to know what i traded my Patriot or Compass for. actually i traded my Wrangler for my Compass. am i bass ackwards or what?

Not really-I bet your Compass has a much more comfortable ride

It's funny that you mention it though, because I checked out a bunch of the rock crawler posts, and it made me start trying to get my husband to dump the project car in the garage (a 67 Camaro that's rusting comfortably, thank you very much) for a lifted Cherokee or Wrangler. It looks like fun!
Unread 01-17-2008, 04:09 AM   #7
goshawk99

The wife traded in her 2000 Alero... She felt it was time to find a vehicle that she did not have to squat to the ground to get into a vehicle and the Compass fit the bill.
goshawk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2008, 05:16 AM   #8
madrabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
My trade was an '88 Dakota, 2WD, Auto, rust bucket with 3.91 gears That every time it changed gears in snow or ice it would go sideways. The drivers side floor board really was a piece of plywood, the rear brake line had rusted out along with the fuel tank strap and the rear shocks. Replaced the trans around 65K and the drivers fresh air vent was broken and wouldn't close, duct tape worked for a while. Oh, ya, about 14/15 mpg or so.

do i even want to know what trade in value they gave you?

or did it add to the price of the compass

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2008, 05:37 AM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt
do i even want to know what trade in value they gave you?

or did it add to the price of the compass
It was their "Birthday Sale" and they gave me $1500 for the pos, site unseen, and then another $2000 off the sticker. I probably would have had to pay a junk yard to take it off my hands. Ahhh, no wonder that I have no real complaints about the Compass? WHAT EVER!

Unread 01-17-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
Spanky The Bear

2005 Silver Chevy Cavalier 2 door to a 2008 Black Jeep Patriot
Spanky The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #11
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Considered my Wrangler but then I decided against it. I traded nothing. :
Unread 01-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #12
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

wifes 2003 suzuki aerio sx had 4k in neg equity. dealer gave us 10k for a trade so only 2k transfered to the compass. now its all caught up!
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2008, 05:42 PM   #13
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It was their "Birthday Sale" and they gave me $1500 for the pos, site unseen, and then another $2000 off the sticker. I probably would have had to pay a junk yard to take it off my hands. Ahhh, no wonder that I have no real complaints about the Compass? WHAT EVER!
Wow, and I thought that my husban's 96 RAV was bad. He had to shut off the dome light, because every time he took a left, the light would turn on mysteriously! It burned a quart of oil a week, and got LOUSY gas milage-it was the 2 door, so there was absolutely NO trunk space whatsoever. It was really loud because it would cruise around 3000rpms. They gave us $1500, and we were glad to get it. After driving his Patriot for 2 weeks, he couldn't believe he used to drive that thing 120 miles a day!
Unread 01-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #14
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Oh, the windshied was cracked, the muffler was pretty much rusted out and there was only half of the drivers side mirror left due to a side swipe during a white-out. The wife actually wanted to keep it to haul home remodeling stuff around. I said "nope, it's cheaper to buy a trailer than to pay the insurance on it". I didn't keep track of the mpg that well. It held 24 gallons but I refused to put more than $30 at a time in it just in case gas prices went down . That would last me about 2 1/2 days. It did have shell on it but it leaked so you couldn't put much back there. During the winter I kept an old Hemi block in the back to help with traction but that was a waste of time . Ya, the Compass is sweet!

Unread 01-17-2008, 06:05 PM   #15
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh, the windshied was cracked, the muffler was pretty much rusted out and there was only half of the drivers side mirror left due to a side swipe during a white-out. The wife actually wanted to keep it to haul home remodeling stuff around. I said "nope, it's cheaper to buy a trailer than to pay the insurance on it". I didn't keep track of the mpg that well. It held 24 gallons but I refused to put more than $30 at a time in it just in case gas prices went down . That would last me about 2 1/2 days. It did have shell on it but it leaked so you couldn't put much back there. During the winter I kept an old Hemi block in the back to help with traction but that was a waste of time . Ya, the Compass is sweet!
Sounds like a BIG improvement!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.