Warranty worth it for 2007 Compass 80K miles? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Warranty worth it for 2007 Compass 80K miles?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #1
2007compass
2007 MK Compass 

Warranty worth it for 2007 Compass 80K miles?

Hi there,
Just bought my first Compass (2007, with 80,000 miles) due to affordability and reputation for good handling in snow (just moved to Alaska).

My question is whether or not I should keep or cancel the 3 year/30,000 powertrain warranty I purchased for about $2,500. My husband and I are second guessing ourselves as to whether we really will face more than $2,500 in costs that would actually be covered. We have 60 days to cancel it for a full refund.

Any words of wisdom/advice/ ideas of issues that we'll face at the 90k/100k/110k mile marks would be greatly appreciated!

I keep reading horror stories about the 2007 Compass, and shoddy work by dealerships so am feeling like maybe the warranty is a good idea, but then again, if they won't cover any of the repairs under the warranty then it's such a waste of money (which we have many other uses for at the moment!)

Thanks,
Laura

2007compass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:04 AM   #2
ddavidv
2008 MK Patriot 

Extended warranties are generally a massively overpriced profit center for dealerships. $2500 for only 3 years? I'd definitely get my money back. Sock that money away in your own private account (think of it as a health savings account for your Jeep). If you need it, it's there. If you don't, you keep the money. Most extended warranties have clever ways of denying many things or only paying a pro-rated portion of the cost as well.

What's the WORST thing that could go wrong on one of these? Maybe the CVT takes a dump. That's about the only thing that would make this worthwhile.

Either I sock the money away as insurance or I roll the dice on some massive expense and just get a small personal loan to cover it if the need arises.
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Is there an option for a bumper to bumper warranty maybe from a third party vendor? Usually there is for used cars for like $2000. I would get that instead. Suspension components wear out quickly. I guess its $1200 repair for tie rod ends and control arm bushings. Power train warranty wont cover that. Also getting to a point where catalytic converter could start to wear out.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 03:02 AM   #4
Sarkus

That is a pretty poor warranty. I bought an '09 Patriot with 57k miles on it a few weeks ago and got a 3/50 comprehensive for $1200.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
jacko15
2014 WK 

I'd also suggest the comprehensive service contract. I'd bet you'd have problems other than drivetrain, that was my experience. Of course the flipside is save the money, and pay for your own repairs. Either way, you buy your ticket, and take your chances.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
dragon672
2014 MK Compass 

I had an extended warranty on my Equinox and it paid off for me. But then again I had a lot of problems; which is why I am looking at either a Compass or Patriot to replace my equinox. I think you can get a better deal on a warranty than what you quoted that's for sure.
dragon672 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.