Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Wait for 2014, or buy now

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  aroundincircles 
#1 ·
I understand the 2014 models are not too far away, and the automatic will be replaced by a normal 6 speed trans, instead of the CVT. I am interested in an FD1 4 wheel drive. I drove a CVT, and can see it will take some getting used to, I think I would prefer a regular trans with defined gears. There are some decent deals right now, on the 2013. Is it worth waiting for the new 6 speed automatic? Given that in the past, new transmissions are not always reliable the first year or so, what would you do? Is this transmission new, or is it used on some other cars, and if so, how is it?

#2 ·
Its a Hyundai trans. Its decent. I would say get a 13 on a smoking deal, the CVT does take a small amount of getting used to, but you could save as much as 5k over a 2014... One of the guys on another forum saved 7k by going with a 2013... I saved 4 over a 2013 when I got my 2012. I'm sure keeping that cash in your pocket will help you get used to the CVT pretty quick! ;)

#9 ·
Same here but I went from a 2.0L 4Cyl Nissan Frontier that was a POS and shifted like crap (probably a 5 speed auto idk what the trans was) so the CVT was a huge step up for me. I have a FDII for y'all who don't know me....

#8 ·
They are pretty reliable, I have heard of them over heating, and a few failures, but they are far from the norm. if you buy new it has a 5 year 100k power train, that includes the cvt, I don't know if an after market warranty would be worth it. Depends on how much you pay for it. and if you plan on buying new and keeping the car longer than 100k mile warrenty.

#7 ·
Nissan voluntarily extended their drivetrain warranty after theirs had been on the market a couple years. A few forum posters have had issues with them overheating a cvt fluid boiling/burning even before the first recomended change....60,000? I got the extended warranty from chrysler.

#12 ·
I think the 2014 FDI models are going to be night and day from the 2013. Not only do you get the real 6-speed transmission with AutoStick...but you also get the DynaMax transfer case. It's going to basically make the Patriot a whole new vehicle in terms of driveability and capability.

If I knew 100% certain that FDII was a must have for me...I'd start looking around for a killer deal on a 2013 right now. But if I thought that I might buy a FDI model there is no question I'd wait and get the 2014. They are coming off the assy. lines right now.

#13 ·
Yea if you arent completely decided I'd at least wait til the FDI's are on the floor. If it isn't what you want, I bet you could get a 2013 FDII brought in for CHEAP!

#14 ·
Isn't the 2014 FD2 supposed to get some kind of updated CVT? If so what's gonna be different about it?

I do kind of worry about gas mileage, but I also want the best 4WD I can get. I'm not gonna be rock crawling but I might have the occasional dirt or muddy road if I go camping or fishing.. and once in a while we get slammed with nasty snow here too. But I'm thinking the regular FD1 would be fine for that. Still, I also want the extra height and stuff.

#15 ·
I've heard two different things...the FDII will have the same CVT and then I've also heard that it was getting the 6 speed but apparently it's getting the same CVT. maybe aroundincircles will see this and comment cause he knows which will be in it.

Ah now you ask the difficult question...would you be happy with the FDI as opposed to the FDII? Thats what I had to ask myself when shopping for my Patriot. There were plenty of FDI's around me in texas that couldve been shipped in to me in a day or so but I knew deep down that every time I went off road I'd be wanting the engine/trans skids and the gas pan skids along with the tow hooks, slightly taller suspension components, "L" range gearing, and trans fluid cooler or whatever the hell it was called. All in all I knew I wouldnt be truly satisfied with the FDI no matter how loaded it was so I found a FDII that could be brought in from out of state.

So thats what you'll have to ask yourself...will you be happy with a FDI or really wish that you would have got the FDII for it's amenities off roading wise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.