Using Tire Chains - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Using Tire Chains

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

Using Tire Chains

The Owners manual tells you to NOT use chains because of limited clearance. The manual also says to turn ESP to Partial Off when using chains.

I posted: "Okay, consider the following hypothetical situation: You are stuck in a blizzard in the middle of nowhere. You have 215/65/17 tires and FDI. You put your one set of cable chains on the rear wheels because of limited clearance in the front with the struts. You put the Patriot into 4WD lock and turn ESP to Partial/Off. What is wrong with my logic ??"

Today I tested out my hypothetical situation so that I know how to use cable chains if I ever need them. First thing I found out is that the cable chains will barely fit on the front wheels because the struts are too close to the side of my 215/65/17 tires. The clamps for the chains take about an inch of space. The cable chains fit just fine on the rear wheels and it didn't take long to put them on. I then tried them with 4WD Lock and they worked just great climbing a snow covered bank next to our back alley. First I tried ESP Partial Off like the owners manual recommends and the front tires would spin a little bit but no problem climbing the hill. Then I tried ESP On as normal driving and it also worked fine No spin on the front tires and climbed the hill easily. I wasn't stuck to begin with so there was no need to turn ESP Partial Off. I didn't have any trouble climbing the hill yesterday without the cable chains in the Patriot but I did have trouble with our 4X4 Cherokee in 4Lo. I had to make 2 runs at the hill with Michelin LTX M+S tires on the Cherokee. Did I mention that the Cherokee is scary on an icy road with those All Season tires and no ESP.

Last edited by miketmx; 02-16-2010 at 08:39 AM..
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Thanks for the updated info Mike. The wife's previous '98 ZJ and '03 WJ felt scary to me too. Her new '06 WK feels a whole lot better with the ESP and Quadra-Drive II on it. That electronic stuff works VERY well!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
Sk8ter
2009 MK Compass 

I do think the FD1 with 4 wheels will be enough for most of the road conditions.
Sk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

Another snowy Saturday so I decided to test out my cable chains again but this time I put them on the front wheels. There is just enough clearance to the struts and they didn't rub the wheel wells but I was very careful to Not try lock to lock. I'm pretty sure that bigger tires than my 215/65/17 would rub the wheel wells. The cable chains are evidently for SAE Class "S" but our Patriot owner's manual makes No mention of that, it states to not use chains because of limited clearance and then it says when using chains to turn ESP to Partial/Off. I still think that I'm less likely to damage something by putting the cable chains on the rear wheels and use 4X4 Lock. I found the following link to be a little bit helpful.

http://www.rubicon-trail.com/jeep101/chains.html
Unread 02-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
deepnite10

i test fited the cables on the rear tires today..215/70/16 s..and had not problems..yet im afraid id hit something if i got another set for the front..
deepnite10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

I think you are OK with 215/70/16 as it has a diameter of 27.85" or just a tad less than my 28" OEM size 215/65/17. The strut is about 2 fingers away from the sidewall of my tire and the only other concern is that base plate thingee on the strut that supports the coil spring. The SAE Class S clearance from the tread surface is supposed to be minimum 1.46" to the wheel well but I think the cable chains will work OK on the front wheels. I don't really do off/road with chains but other Patriot owners have used cable chains on all 4 wheels. My main concern is traveling over mountain passes in Colorado or other states where chains might be required.
Unread 02-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
deepnite10

normally i would nt even consider driving if chain s were required..but, the daughter got a job up in Modoc Cty..every other week she gets 8 straight days off..

the first week she called and asked me to go up and dig her out..though chain s were required it was still a scary drive on the yokohama s..i followed her down as it started to snow..an hr later we were in the middle of a bad snow storm.. a hr later the chain requirments went up, R2..

if it had gone to R3 i would have started looking for a hotel..

BTW..the highway go s up right between Mt. Shasta and Mt. Lassen..real nasty..
deepnite10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
firstegg
2013 MK Patriot 

I have a 2013 patriot base model (FWD, 2.0ltr engine, etc.). I, too, read the "not recommended due to clearance issues" statement. Anyone have any experience with the Michelin EasyGrip Composte Snow chains? Amazon has them in the right size, but there's a disclaimer that California DOT hasn't approved them.
firstegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

I checked out the Easygrip Composite Snow Chains at the link shown below. It looks like they will work OK for our Patriots however several users complained that they were not all that easy to install. My cable chains install with no problem and I have seen other conventional X chains fit the OEM size tires on the Patriot. I'm carrying my cable chains in the trunk just in case I get to a mountain pass in Idaho where they are required but I doubt that I will ever need them. I got 5 winters on the Michelin Xice-Xi2 tires and this year I'm gonna get something new. The Michelins have been pretty good on ice but I don't think they are aggressive enough for deep snow. I just found out that Les Schwab is now selling Hankook IPike W409 winter tires that can be studded and this will be my next purchase. The tread design seems very similar to the highly rated General Altimax Arctic.

http://www.amazon.com/Michelin-98010.../dp/B0053UE2PG
Unread 10-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
firstegg
2013 MK Patriot 

Thanks for the answer. We go camping in Yosemite in the winter most years and wanted to find a proper solution. I have read alot of posts were they complained about clearance on the inner wall of the tire with chains. Can you share your brand of cables?
firstegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

Hi, I can't find the name of the cable chains, all I have left is a sheet for mounting instructions and these also fit our Cherokee. Cable chains are not as sturdy as older link chains but they are designed to fit low clearance vehicles and I believe that SAE Class S is some kind of a standard maybe for GM cars.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.