Used 09 Compass came with 1 key. What are my options? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Used 09 Compass came with 1 key. What are my options?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
kortsen
2009 MK Compass 

Used 09 Compass came with 1 key. What are my options?

I just traded my '02 PT Loser in on an '09 Compass Limited. The dealer only had 1 key, the one with the remote entry on the key head. They talked to a mobile locksmith for me who could do a basic ignition key for $100 or the one with remote entry for $200. I picked the cheaper option. So I now have 2 ignition keys and one keyless entry 'clicker.' I would like to get a third key so that if I lose one I have 2 SKIM keys and can program my own blank. I would also like to have a second keyless entry fob for the missus.

I have plowed through the forums looking for information on programming an ignition key and a keyless entry fob. I found lots of answers; most of them conflicting and some just plain wrong. There are 2 points I am trying to clear up; programming a new key to work with the SKIM module and programming a pendant to work with the keyless entry system.

On my PT I can enable a third SKIM key by doing some mad juju with the 2 factory keys. I found a reference here saying the '09 Compass is the same but all the references to 'factory' keys makes me worry. Can I do it with one factory key and the one from Mobile Murray?

My experience with keyless entry on the PT is limited to finding that it can be done and not looking into the details. I found a thread here that described some mad juju with the ignition key, the lock buttons in the car, and buttons on the fob. But the poster was contradicted with cries of "take it to the dealer" so I'm looking for a definitive answer and hope somebody can post a link.

Lastly, price. I slogged through eBay and found lots of listings for shells and keypads but no real bargains on keys or fobs or keys with built-in fobs. Do any of you have any good sources you link me to? Also, the PT came with 2 remote entry keyfobs not built into the key head. Can I reprogram one of those for the Compass?

kortsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
kortsen
2009 MK Compass 

Rtfm

I should have mentioned that I sealed the deal yesterday and pick up the Compass next week. That said, I didn't even have an owners manual until I downloaded it 10 minutes ago. I have been able to answer my 1st question about programming SKIM keys by READING THE F#@KING MANUAL. The wording Chrysler uses is "valid key" so It looks like I'll be fine. I'm posting this for anyone else searching the forums for the same answer.

kortsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
JoeTDI
2012 KK Liberty 

You could have bought an after market key off ebay for $70, which is nearly identical to your factory key, then go to your local Jeep dealer and have them cut and program it for $40..... $110 total for a remote clicker key

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.