With upgraded tire size -- what to do about the spare? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > With upgraded tire size -- what to do about the spare?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 09-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
BumpShaman
2014 MK Compass 

With upgraded tire size -- what to do about the spare?

Hey all!

I'm within a week or two of upgrading my tires from the smallest stock size to 225/65R17 (settled on the Firestone Destination LE 2!). But now my "non-full size" spare won't match the rest of my tires, so in the case of a flat or blowout I can't use it.

For those of you who went BIGGER on your tires -- what did you do about the spare? New spare wheel and tire? Pretty sure this larger size won't fit in the spare compartment in the trunk...

Any advice or tips here would be AWESOME. This concern is delaying my upgrade.

BumpShaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I have a FDII, and so my spare was a full sized tire on a steal rim, so going up in size, I figure I should just treat my spare as I would a doughnut, just don't drive over 55mph when using it. I could use it longer than the 55miles a real doughnut spare is made for.

what size are your current tires? what size is your spare? maybe get a metal rim for one of your current tires and put it in the spare wheel well.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Yeah if you're going to upsize tires you really need five, ouch! $$ I don't know enough about the Patty's 4wd system to know if driving on the smaller standard donut for a short distance would hurt it or not.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
BumpShaman
2014 MK Compass 

THANKS GUYS!

Current tire size is P215/60R-17. I want to go past the next OEM size (P215/65R-17) to 225/65R-17.

I think the option of buying a 17" steel rim for the new spare and mounting one of my current OEM size tires might work out the best. This way, the size of the spare isn't TOO FAR off compared to the new larger tires (shouldn't hurt driving 50 miles or less with a slightly smaller tire, right?). I'll save some money there. And most importantly, if I can indeed go this route -- I can keep the spare in the spare compartment.

My biggest concern is that it's unsafe for the 4WD system to have one tire slightly smaller than the rest (if I had to use the spare). I'd have 3 tires at 225/65R-17 and one (the new spare) at P215/60R-17..... Unless the Compass has a way of disengaging 4WD for use with a smaller spare (I think that some AWD vehicles have this, by means of removing or adding a fuse I believe -- but not sure about the Compass).

Thoughts?
Unread 10-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #5
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Look at your current spare, I bet it is much smaller than your current tires... As long as it is temporary, it should be a non issue. You might get some idiot lights come up, but you are not breaking anything, they are just telling you something is wrong. And the size difference between the two is minimal... Like half an inch.
Unread 10-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
BumpShaman
2014 MK Compass 

Thanks aroundincircles. Appreciate the info.
Unread 10-03-2013, 05:36 AM   #7
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

if it ever happens, just turn off your TCS, that will keep the computer brains out of a lot of the equation.
Unread 10-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
BumpShaman
2014 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
if it ever happens, just turn off your TCS, that will keep the computer brains out of a lot of the equation.
How might one turn off TCS... if that person didn't know...
Unread 10-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

There is a button under the ac controls. If you have a 2wd, you have two modes, on and partial off, which is a quick press. 4x4 models have full off (long press) as a third option. It's in the owners manual as well.
Unread 10-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
BumpShaman
2014 MK Compass 

I'm planning on getting my new larger tires installed this week, and I have a maintenance visit with Jeep next week (that's when I'll do the software flash).

Is it okay to drive the vehicle with the larger tires for a week or two before I get the software flashed to be closer to my new tire size? I guess the only issue is the speedometer, and I'll just have to be careful about my speed for now...
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #11
BumpShaman
2014 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpShaman View Post
I'm planning on getting my new larger tires installed this week, and I have a maintenance visit with Jeep next week (that's when I'll do the software flash).

Is it okay to drive the vehicle with the larger tires for a week or two before I get the software flashed to be closer to my new tire size? I guess the only issue is the speedometer, and I'll just have to be careful about my speed for now...
Seemed obvious enough, but I checked with Jeep anyway. As expected, no issue driving on the new tires other than speedometer being off and potential rubbing; the latter won't be an issue as I'm going with the 225/65R17 Destination LE2's, and regarding the speedo I'll just drive a little "slower".

Getting them installed now. Psyched!
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
DLTC86
2008 MK Compass 

You should enjoy the extra size. Put them on too and it's more comfortable with not as much rough road feel. And they are right, the speedo is off a hair by 2-3 mph, but you won't even notice it.
DLTC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpShaman View Post
Seemed obvious enough, but I checked with Jeep anyway. As expected, no issue driving on the new tires other than speedometer being off and potential rubbing; the latter won't be an issue as I'm going with the 225/65R17 Destination LE2's, and regarding the speedo I'll just drive a little "slower".

Getting them installed now. Psyched!
Post pics when you are done!
Unread 10-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #14
BumpShaman
2014 MK Compass 

Well, looks like this guy right here will still be driving stock tire sizes for the next year or two until my warranty is up. An advisor in the service department at my dealership warned that using a non-stock tire size could cause warranty problems for me if I ever have transmission issues. Even if the tires have no actual negative effect, transmission problems could be blamed on that. NICE.

I'm still upgrading my tires -- because I'm not confident in these Affinity stock tires for snow and light off-road use. Have driven several times on the beach already, and while I made it through every situation, I could feel the tires struggling. Also, when snow starts to hit the Northeast I plan to drive up into the mountains to snowboard, so I need the best possible tires I can get.

I'll take any little boost from these P215/60R17's that I can get. SO... P215/65R17 it is........
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #15
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Look at Yokohama geolanders ats, very popular tire on the other jeep patriot forum. And available on stock sizes.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.