"Upgrade" from Liberty to 2011 Patriot? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > "Upgrade" from Liberty to 2011 Patriot?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
paulmm

"Upgrade" from Liberty to 2011 Patriot?

Hi there! I live in the UK and drive a 2005 Jeep Liberty V6 Limited. I'm thinking about "upgrading" to the new 2011 Jeep Patriot, mainly because fuel prices in the UK are crazy and the V6 is killing me.

In the UK the Patriot comes with a Mercedes 2.2L CRD Diesel engine with manual transmission. ~35-45mpg compared to the Liberty's ~15-18mpg, so I've worked out that the trade-up to the Patriot would pay for itself on fuel savings alone.

My question is, has anyone owned/driven both Jeeps? And what's it like to live with? I test drove a Patriot today. I like the styling. Luggage space not too much smaller than the Liberty, but it was a bit lacklustre to drive and a bit plasticky and claustrophobic compared to the Liberty. The diesel engine was also a bit rough.

I don't do any serious offroading. I'd use it for the commute, but also I'm into mountain biking, hiking and photography, so I often end up on bad roads, forest trails, snowy conditions, etc. I imagine the Patriot will manage just fine but is the ride okay on bad roads? And what's it like to live with compared to the Liberty? Any pro's and cons to everyday use? In a nutshell: are you glad you switched or do you wishe you'd kept the Liberty?!

(P.s. In the UK we call the Liberty a Cherokee, as the original Cherokee was phased out here when the Liberty was introduced. )

paulmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
srtdodge05
2011 MK Patriot 

I had a 2008 liberty limited when they first cameout and never liked it. I just went from a Chrysler Aspen to the patriot and i love it. Im sure the diesel with a manual trans would be a lot faster then the V6. The patriot is a full all around suv to drive.
srtdodge05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
paulmm

Thanks srtdodge05. What didn't you like about the Liberty but like about the Patriot. I'm struggling to make a decision because I like my Liberty a lot but am tempted by a shiny new Jeep. I just don't want to live to regret it. I wont find another 6 year old Jeep with zero previous owners!
paulmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
srtdodge05
2011 MK Patriot 

Liberty Cons: Poor gas mileage, 4 Speed auto, under power, Very small dash that made you feel like your face was in the windshield. fit and finish, loud inside. small back seat and leg room.

Patriot Cons: Sits a little low for a suv (4X4 1in taller). leather seats dont have much grip so u seem to slide around a lot. Little under power for the 2.4L. Only one 12v power outlet and some odd storage areas.

My dad worked for Chrysler so i got to drive every vehicle they made from 2004 until 2009 when he retired. The patriot is a great suv and was scared about buying it but i am very happy i did. With you being in the UK they mite have different options then the U.S model. I have over 4,100 miles now and everyone of those miles have been a blast.
srtdodge05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comparison , jeep , liberty , patriot , uk

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.