UK Compass in the Easter snow - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > UK Compass in the Easter snow

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 03-23-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
Red_Compass

UK Compass in the Easter snow

We had between 3 and 5 inches of snow overnight, I managed to find plenty of snow on the Yorkshire Wolds while out taking photographs.

The UK version of the Compass has awful "Summer grade" Continental tyres, that look completely unsuited to giving much grip on anything but dry tarmac. The Compass was totally sure-footed and didn't slip, slide or spin even though there was ice under much of the snow. I didn't select the permanent 4 wheel drive, just letting the automatic switching send drive to the rear wheels if necessary. I only once detected it's kicking in (literally, you feel a slight jolt as the rear wheels give drive) and that was when setting off on a slight incline at a junction.

I don't have the same faith in the Compass as I did in my old Cherokee with mud terrain tyres, but equally it will get you from A to B and back again in the snow.

Unread 03-23-2008, 07:09 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The mechanicals in the MK's work great and I agree that tires are the weakest link in the chain. It's why I've tried to stress tread pattern over height or width.

How about some pics using the image insert at Photobucket or something similar?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
Red_Compass

Bob

I was busy photographing the landscape, there was a flat 3 - 5 inches of snow, so pictures of the Compass would have been a bit pointless. There were no snow drifts or anything too exciting.

Those Continental tyres on the UK Compass are a pain, the size is 215 55 R18 and not many tyres are made in that size. The Continental tyres are expensive too, around 50% more expensive than BFG Mud Terrains that have a lot more rubber in them!

Dave
Unread 03-23-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Compass View Post
Bob

I was busy photographing the landscape, there was a flat 3 - 5 inches of snow, so pictures of the Compass would have been a bit pointless. There were no snow drifts or anything too exciting.

Those Continental tyres on the UK Compass are a pain, the size is 215 55 R18 and not many tyres are made in that size. The Continental tyres are expensive too, around 50% more expensive than BFG Mud Terrains that have a lot more rubber in them!

Dave
Dave, I just like pics of the UK country side.

They didn't do us any favors by putting the 18's on the Compass. I do like my chrome rims and if I stay with them I'll be going with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza 235/55R18, very spendy but go on sale in the Fall. If I can get a set of 16" Patriot rims I'll be going with either Firestone Destination A/T's or Pirelli Scorpion ATR's in a 235/70R16's. Much better pricing. I just put the Firestone's on the wife's Grand and they're wonderful in the snow and ice!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2008, 08:58 AM   #5
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

we just got hit with about the same amount of snow Friday night here in Michigan

and while my Rallye's tires aren't the greatest for snow either - it sure made for a less stressful drive - I've thought about replacing the tires - but have noticed the lack of selection for my size - and I love my black 18" wheels too much to replace them with something else yet.

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.