Turn Signal Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Turn Signal Issue

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings Blast

Unread 07-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
K9Korpsman13
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Turn Signal Issue

I don't know if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything on it with the forum search.

My wife has an '09 Patriot Sport 4x4 "trail rated" with the freedom II off road package. It has around 39XXX miles and was serviced at suggested intervals at a local dealer until the warranty expired around 36xxx at which point I started taking it to the mechanic on base who I trust and doesn't charge a car payment just for visiting.

Over the past 2 weeks when engaging the right turn signal it will start blinking on the left hand side x2 or x3 and then back to the right. There is no distinguishable pattern and the problem itself is intermittent. The left hand turn signal is operating properly.

The base mechanic is somewhat limited service, had no idea what was going on, and suggested the dealership.

Is this a common problem anyone has dealt with before? Any ideas before I have to go give Green Gifford Chrysler Jeep Dodge half a paycheck?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Unread 07-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
ddavidv
2008 MK Patriot 

I was curious about this, so googled it a bit. My suspicion is the turn signal switch assembly is failing. Hopefully there is a test they can run at the stealership to be certain before doing a replacement, but reading posts on the Patriot and Caliber forums it seems likely (though nobody seemed to have the exact problem you have).
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
fortuneer

2007 MK Compass 

I agree with ddavidv. Mine went bad in the first year and now the replacement one is doing the blinking left once or twice before it settles into a right signal. Sometimes when I signal left I get both flashing once or twice like hazzard lights then left indicator. Only fix is to replace the unit. As mine is now out of warranty I have to wait because I'm saving up to get a rear drive shaft and hub replaced at 80,000.

Black '07 Compass Sport 5-speed 4X4 ("Fortuneer"), K&N filter, cat-back exhaust; RR lift, sunroof, trailer tow group, Boston Acoustic audio, sport bars, rear taillight guards, more to come... Finally got it back from the wife so I can let my Neon R/T rest for a rebuild.
fortuneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

How long have blinkers been around? How have they not been perfected yet?
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
K9Korpsman13
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks everyone for the replies. Have an appointment set up at the stealership this tues. Fortuneer, you don't happen to remember the approximate cost do you?
Unread 07-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The multi-position switches have been around since the late '80's early '90's about the time the dimmer switch was moved from the floor up to the headlight lever. There have been MANY changes since and the electronic are pretty compact. No I haven't had any problems with mine...yet.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
fortuneer

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Korpsman13 View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. Have an appointment set up at the stealership this tues. Fortuneer, you don't happen to remember the approximate cost do you?
As mine was less than a year old at the time, it was under warranty. To replace one at your cost I'm not even certain. As mine still works more or less as intended, I'm not touching it until it actually stops. With nearly everything that could go wrong with the Compass & Patriot having gone wrong with MINE, I feel safe in believing mine was an exceptional LEMON!!! The sad part is that I was too foolish to realize it until five years later! One more year to pay it off and we'll have to see how long it stays around

Black '07 Compass Sport 5-speed 4X4 ("Fortuneer"), K&N filter, cat-back exhaust; RR lift, sunroof, trailer tow group, Boston Acoustic audio, sport bars, rear taillight guards, more to come... Finally got it back from the wife so I can let my Neon R/T rest for a rebuild.
fortuneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
ddavidv
2008 MK Patriot 

Combo switch without fog lamps $69.10 list price.

Remember, this component is probably made by a sub-vendor and not by Chrysler themselves. Even though they've been making combination switches since the 1970s each car has it's own design and functions built into a particular switch. The previously bankrupt Daimler-Chrysler was probably buying from the lowest bidder and got what it paid for.
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
K9Korpsman13
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Update

Had the dealership appointment today, told them I suspected the turn signal switch was on the fritz, without mentioning the use of the forum (trying to avoid being that guy.) Was met with the standard "well it could also be bulls***, bulls***, or bulls***" dismissal. Was called three hours later and informed it was, in fact, the turn signal switch.

$293 and some odd cents for parts and labor. Labor probably being looking at all the other parts that it wasn't.

I ponied up, having to drive to a new duty station across the country in a week and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Moral of the story, buy an XJ so you and your American man sized hands can fix it yourself
Unread 07-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I'm surprised they actually looked at anything. My typical dealer response to a problem is, "well there's no codes, so clearly there's no problem".
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.