Turbo Compass Rallye car? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Turbo Compass Rallye car?

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 05-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #16
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedive View Post
Are These 2.4L not the same as the 2.4L that went into the TJ SE's? If so there are TJ guys who have put PT Cruiser turbos on and ran with no problems other than figuring out how to install them to be useful for crawling. I was searching the compass forums to see if anyone has done it yet and am a little surprised I haven't found anyone who has done it yet.
Different animal. These are 2.4 VVT engines, new design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick3319 View Post
I would love to even just put a stock turbo from the caliber since we run the same engines and what not, like someone said, they may be built a little more, but its just not to push too much psi! I think it'd be sweet just to have a turbo jeep and make everyone be like "WTF" i've already suprised many people running 16.6 stock...so imagine a nice small turbo on there
Still thinking on it. Use the turbo from the Caliber SRT and do about a 4lb waste gate so that my CVT doesn't self destruct. I've talked with a few guys at the dealer about it.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #17
patrick3319
2008 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Different animal. These are 2.4 VVT engines, new design.

Still thinking on it. Use the turbo from the Caliber SRT and do about a 4lb waste gate so that my CVT doesn't self destruct. I've talked with a few guys at the dealer about it.

is that all that would be needed really? is to use the srt turbo and a 4lb wastegate?
patrick3319 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2008, 06:15 PM   #18
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Custom plumbing and maybe programing. That's as far as I've gotten with it so far. Still in the "dream" state.

This thread was started back on 12/06. Never heard anymore about it. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/compass-w-premium-gas-347564/

Unread 05-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #19
patrick3319
2008 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Custom plumbing and maybe programing. That's as far as I've gotten with it so far. Still in the "dream" state.

This thread was started back on 12/06. Never heard anymore about it. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347564
I got a few friends who are into turbos and what not, just I don't know how we can treat these new engines and what not...thats the only thing I need is to blow it up! lol...
i'd like to just wait for a srt4 to be found with engine in tact! so I can take all the stuff off it since its the same engine! and it should all be good then..do some custom piping...and bam
Unread 05-22-2008, 05:16 AM   #20
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

More info on the 2.4 VVT The engines were designed to be turbocharged and supercharged, partly through use of large water jackets and metal areas around each siamesed cylinder.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/world-engine.html

Go for it. Being the first can be quite challenging and personally rewarding but sometimes not very cheap. Like Lee Iaccoca said "lead, follow or get out of the way".

Unread 05-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #21
schoat333
2008 MK Patriot 

you can build a turbo kit that will run 5-10lbs of boost for a rather reasonable price. at this point the only problem i see is the manifold. It would have to be custom made since no one makes one yet. Unless the SRT's manifold uses the same bolt pattern?

parts list.

Please feel free to add to it if i missed something.

Turbo
Manifold (with matching turbo flange)
Wastegate (if not internal)
BOV (blow off valve)
Custom downpipe and exhaust
Custom pipes and intecooler (or just pipes to rout the intake if running less than 5 lbs of boost)
Fuel and spark controller (safc, e-manage, etc)
Larger injectors (not sure what size the factory uses but you may not need to replace them if only running 5lbs of boost)
wideband o2 sensor and gauge (for proper tuning)
Boost gauge
EGT (exhaust gas temp.) gauge - from my experience with supercharging a car i learned that these are handy for tuning to ignition timing. If you run too much timing youll get detonation, not enough and your EGT's will go up and burn out the turbo's bearings and the CAT-converters.

For those of us with the CVT we would probably want to run an aftermarket Transmission cooler as well.

I would say a good kit would cost around 2500-3000 with the custom fab parts. If you have a shop do the tuning you could eliminate the cost of the widenband and EGT gauges but i would still recomend having them eventually. For those of us that are crafty you could probably fab a kit for around 1500.
schoat333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2008, 03:13 PM   #22
patrick3319
2008 MK Compass 

lol my friends have fabbed up a lot of their own stuff..so maybe its something to look into, it'd be nice to see one done and get info from it...but who knows, its always cool to be the first! lol

you wouldn't really need a custom exhaust as 5lbs of boost would be fine under the stock piping! it'd just probably sound cooler lol!

the only real thing stopping me right now tho, is i'd have to say bye bye to my warranty! lol
Unread 05-22-2008, 08:22 PM   #23
OnRoad
2008 MK Compass 

I really should not be paying attention to this thread. This is my commuter buggy, not a racer. I need the fuel economy. I don't need another sports car......Turbo.... ARGH!!!
Unread 05-22-2008, 08:26 PM   #24
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnRoad View Post
I really should not be paying attention to this thread. This is my commuter buggy, not a racer. I need the fuel economy. I don't need another sports car......Turbo.... ARGH!!!
Me either, but bench racing is cheap!

Unread 05-22-2008, 09:23 PM   #25
FooK
2002 WJ 

Being extremely involved in Rally Racing, I would love to see a Jeep out there actually competing in stage rally!
Driver #1724 Team WP Jeepspeed
Co-Driver #36 ERS Rally Team
FooK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #26
OnRoad
2008 MK Compass 

Rally racing looks like it would be a blast. I did several TDS type rallies (Tulip/Trap/Gimmick etc.) in the 80s and always had a blast. The midnight mountain one was one of my favorite! (9PM to 9AM)

I think Chrysler would do well to produce a serious rally car. Just wrapping plastic skins on the same car is simply not enough. (Of course I am looking at buying those skins for my limited...)
Unread 08-14-2008, 01:50 AM   #27
dickie066

Turbocharging Jeep Compass

I was wondering if anyone had ideas or have turboed the compass. If so please right back for ideas and instructions
dickie066 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2008, 06:18 AM   #28
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think its been discussed here (cant remember the thread offhand) and (I think) the general consensus was that the CVT tranny will explode. just doesnt have the HP/torque rating for a turbo.
Unread 08-14-2008, 06:46 AM   #29
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

My understanding is the reason why there isn't an AWD SRT Caliber is because the AWD system can't handle the 300hp

I don't see why you can't turbocharge a 4x2 Compass though (would be like the Caliber)

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2008, 10:54 AM   #30
exxon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent33 View Post
My understanding is the reason why there isn't an AWD SRT Caliber is because the AWD system can't handle the 300hp
It possibly can if you can swap it out with some Lancer guts, I'm not sure how similar the components are. The SRT 4 Caliber has the 6 speed Getrag transmission. Maybe a manual compass can handle the same. I think the Rallye edition should be Jeep's version of SRT to begine with
exxon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.