Turbo Compass Rallye car? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Turbo Compass Rallye car?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Turbo Compass Rallye car?

So what do you do with the only Jeep that you cant get trail rated (Compass)? Think about it, the Compass and Patriot both share platforms with the Dodge Caliber. The SRT4 Caliber has a 285hp turbocharged DOHC 2.4L 4cyl, based off of the same 2.4L World Engine thats in the Compass and Patriot, and Caliber. Beef up the 4X4/AWD drive train, the very reason the SRT4 isn't AWD, and drop the 2.4 turbo in it.
But wait there's more. . . what is the new Caliber/Compass/Patriot developed from? The new Mitsubishi Lancer, and what is based off of that? The new Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X. A VERY capable rallye car. So ya it may step on the EVO's toes, DCX makes a deal w/ Mitsu to not compeat in rallye with the lil ****er(it exeads engine displacement regulation anyway(2.0L)) In return Mitsubishi helps develope the Compass into a simi-competent Rallye car. It's allready got a wierd Urban-Jeep styling and they are offering a Rallye Package. Hell, look at how they are marketing it:"Home-grown freedom and capabillity plus an independent, performance-oriented character all it's own."

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2007, 05:50 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Dodge can hardly get the Caliber SR/T off the ground and what they have done has taken YEARS and $$$$$$$$$$$$$. This is YOUR big chance to go for it. I can affort to wait and watch. All in due time grasshopper.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 10:42 PM   #3
ILMBryan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

if this were to work (turbo cars are my fortee) you would need to make sure with the jeep being awd that it will work with the srt4 being fwd. also does the awd turn off on the patriot @ a certain speed and become rwd or fwd? also with the awd is 50/50 like the subarus or is it like 80 fwd 20 rwd like most other awd cars (mitsu and mazda) keep me posted I can help a bit.
ILMBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 10:44 PM   #4
ILMBryan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

the srt-4'a tend to be over tuned with small turbos tho. they tend to hold little over 22 psi safely. i did however read of neon blocks in the srt-4 era holding 500 whp in their stock form.
ILMBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2007, 07:37 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILMBryan
if this were to work (turbo cars are my fortee) you would need to make sure with the jeep being awd that it will work with the srt4 being fwd. also does the awd turn off on the patriot @ a certain speed and become rwd or fwd? also with the awd is 50/50 like the subarus or is it like 80 fwd 20 rwd like most other awd cars (mitsu and mazda) keep me posted I can help a bit.
The MK’s are an ON Demand AWD system more along the lines of the Mitsu and Mazda. You can’t manually turn it off and it doesn’t turn off by speed. The 4WD lock mode, I have heard but not been able to verify, turns off at about 10 mpg all though I still “sense” it being active up around 25 or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILMBryan
the srt-4'a tend to be over tuned with small turbos tho. they tend to hold little over 22 psi safely. i did however read of neon blocks in the srt-4 era holding 500 whp in their stock form.
I’ve only done some superficial research on this issue and after an in depth chat with one of my dealer service guys who has also run turbo cars came to the conclusion that for a good turbo system it’s going to take about $3K. We discussed the possibility of putting a smaller waste gate on the SR/T Caliber turbo to get the HP down to somewhere around 225 – 240 HP so that my CVT wouldn’t self destruct. The 5 speed people could run a larger waste gate but the Caliber is going to a 6 speed. Like I said, just some superficial preliminary thoughts, we didn’t get into how the AWD/4WD would react with the turbo system. I do wonder why the Caliber SR/T is only available on the FWD version but haven’t found out why, yet. Also, just the fact that the headers only fit the FWD and not the AWD’s causes me to wonder what else is physically preventing running a better exhaust.

The good news is that the new would engines, 1600, 2000 and 2.4 were designed to hold up to turbos. They aren’t the same as the Neon engines at all.

Thanks for offering to help! It’s good to know that we’ll have a resident Guru when/if we get that far!

Unread 01-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
Dr. Grinch

I'm selling my 460whp SRT4 Neon to purchase a new Patriot 4x4 5spd within the next 2 weeks. Let me weigh in on the discussion, and what I know.
Stock SRT4 blocks hold 500hp for a limited time.
They also only do it running a bigger turbo (typically a GT35R like mine, or an HP61) and usually only on race gas to avoid detonation.
That being said, the pistons give out eventually (I'm on my 3rd, and finally fully built motor, forged rods and pistons)

A good "turbo kit" starts at around $2000 depending on all what comes with the kit. As soon as you want to make serious power you need bigger injectors, more fueling (fuel rail, return line, upgraded pump), and fuel/boost management, plus timing if possible with your PCM.

The reality here is (based on my reading this forum lurker style for a few weeks) that nobody knows the capabilities of the transmissions in these vehicles.
The Neon SRT4 comes with a heavy duty Getrag tranny that can handle the abuse up to a point. The Caliber SRT4 is still a giant question mark as nobody has pushed one much past 300whp thus far.
I wouldn't hold my breath on the transmissions in these Jeeps lasting past 260whp, unless Mopar really put some money into them, which based on the purchase price of the vehicle is unlikely.
While I would love to see one of these vehicles turned into an Evo Killer I think the cost of making it last more than 10 launches would be astronomical. It always comes down to how strong is the weakest part?
Pistons, rods, crank, input shaft, axles, bellhousing, drive shafts, etc

As for the 2.4L motors being "turbo ready", how do you know?
What is the total compression on the NA 2.4L motor vs. the Turbo?
I haven't done the homework on that one, but I HIGHLY doubt they're running the same rods and pistons in the NA one as the SRT4. Otherwise everyone would just bolt up a manifold and turbo and be off to the races...
Dr. Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I agree. The only part that I have heard that's turbo ready is the block, that was in the media and on ALLPAR. The stock engines run 10.5:1 compression. Like you said, there's a lot more pieces to consider than just the block. It's gonna be spendy to make one of these race ready! The trans - it won't hold up much beyond what you've said, I believe that the Caliber SR/T is getting the Getrag. The CVT - I think any thing beyond about 240hp is self destruct mode.

It's nice to dream about but until we see more of what they do with the Caliber I'll just sit back and watch.

Unread 01-02-2008, 09:45 PM   #8
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not talking about swapping the turbo over, I'm talking about a $wd version of the Caliber in Compass form. A Hybrid of sorts, build a near bullet proof drive train, something that could compare to a Rubicon but on a Compass. This is where EVO parts would come into play.
This is nothing more than a concept idea right now, no where near a bolt in thing. I'd say it's the equivalent to dropping the entire SRT-4 Neon engine into a '03-06 Wrangler SE, and baking it up with an NV3550, Atlas II, and D60's.

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 10:02 PM   #9
blovingier
1999 WJ 

I will say this though, with what I've seen with this CVT, if they had one that was a little beefier it would be good for a turbocharged engine. Here's my reasoning. When you go to WOT right off the line, the RPMs stay up the entire time and that will keep your turbo spooled and get there quicker. I may be looney, but this makes sense to me. (keep in mind I've been pouring over a cylinder head soaked in carb cleaner for several hours the last 3 days - whooo!)

[B]99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo[/B] - [COLOR="Red"][SIZE="4"]Totalled[/SIZE][/COLOR]
-3" lift w/Bilsteins - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -30.5" Pirelli Scorpion ATRs
-[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494045"]Clear Lenses[/URL] - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5229329#post5229329"]Cobra 75 CB w/Wilson 4' Antenna[/URL]
-[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7008250#post7008250"]Home-Brew Discos[/URL]- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734768&highlight=diamond+plate+hitch+cover"]Diamond Plate Hitch Cover[/URL]

[B]07 Compass (wife's ride)[/B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="4"]Sold[/SIZE][/COLOR]
-Stock
blovingier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Here's another thought. Anybody get the email about the Dodge Journey for 2009? Check it out.

Standard engine is our 2.4 VVT with a 4 spd Auto; Optional on the AWD SXT and R/T is a 3.5 V-6, 235 hp @ 6400, 232 lb-ft @ 4000 coupled to a 6 speed CVT AutoStick. Anybody got a shoe horn? It's Hot Rod City!

http://www.dodge.com/en/2009/journey/

Unread 02-12-2008, 06:37 PM   #11
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I dunno about the CVT taking on hole shots.. even stock they took pains to make sure you CANT do a 6 grand neutral drop with it, the rev limiter in Park or Neutral is 2.5k.. as gramps said, a self destruct mode is built in when HP hits 240 or so.

but man I would LOVE to see a turbo patriot glad to know you guys are here.
Unread 02-12-2008, 07:03 PM   #12
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Here's another thought. Anybody get the email about the Dodge Journey for 2009? Check it out.

Standard engine is our 2.4 VVT with a 4 spd Auto; Optional on the AWD SXT and R/T is a 3.5 V-6, 235 hp @ 6400, 232 lb-ft @ 4000 coupled to a 6 speed CVT AutoStick. Anybody got a shoe horn? It's Hot Rod City!

http://www.dodge.com/en/2009/journey/
if it wont fit up front, theres room in the back.

after all if they can take a caddy and stick two northstar V8s in it (one in front, the other in the trunk) why not us

check it out: mosler twinstar cadillac with 2 V8s: all wheel drive, 600 HP, 200 MPH. just throw a lift on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosler_TwinStar
http://www.caranddriver.com/specialt...-eldorado.html
Unread 02-12-2008, 07:33 PM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

That CVT isn't the same one that we're using, it's a 62TE, whatever that is. But it can hold up to the V-6.

It had crossed my mind earlier to re-invent the "Hemi Under Glass". For those younger than some of us (i.e. me) that was a '66 'Cuda drag car with a 426 in the rear end, but instead call it "Hemi in My A$$". Joking around with the lube guy while getting an oil change one day I asked him "why don't you drop a 5.7 in the back seat while you're at it?" He said "well, it won't be done in 15 minutes then". Too bad I was in a hurry that day.

Unread 05-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #14
Kedive
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Are These 2.4L not the same as the 2.4L that went into the TJ SE's? If so there are TJ guys who have put PT Cruiser turbos on and ran with no problems other than figuring out how to install them to be useful for crawling. I was searching the compass forums to see if anyone has done it yet and am a little surprised I haven't found anyone who has done it yet.
Kedive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #15
patrick3319
2008 MK Compass 

I would love to even just put a stock turbo from the caliber since we run the same engines and what not, like someone said, they may be built a little more, but its just not to push too much psi! I think it'd be sweet just to have a turbo jeep and make everyone be like "WTF" i've already suprised many people running 16.6 stock...so imagine a nice small turbo on there
patrick3319 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.