tune up questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > tune up questions

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 03-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
dnovack2007
2001 WJ 

tune up questions

i bought the wife a 2008 jeep patriot with the 2.4l 4wd. it has 59,000 miles on it and i wanna replace some things like put a k&n filter replace plugs and other tune up things. now the real question what plugs are the best for this vehicle? i know the copper plugs are great for the 4.0 in my wj but i know these might be diffrent. looking for the best performance for the vehicle ie irdium platnium or copper.

dnovack2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

OEM plugs are NGK V-Power copper cores and it doesn't get much better than that for coppers. The plugs are so easy to change it makes no sense to use expensive plugs like Iridiums and Platinums. The only benefit they give is longer service life. You will not see any HP or MPG gains if you use the premium plugs. Use the coppers and every 30-40K spend 15 minutes to swap them out. The ignition system is designed for coppers so use them.

Save your money on the K&N too. They do not provide any tangible benefits over a paper air filter other than service life. Contrary to the company's advertising and loyalist claims they filter for crap. I ran them for years but have stopped because it is just a waste of money and they just don't do any real good.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Yeah theres been threads on this before, but stick with the copper if the manual says copper, in order to not burn out ignition coils.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
KLRJEEPER

Copper is the best for plugs besides gold. I ran a k&n on my pat and noticed a difference in milage and available power.
KLRJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRJEEPER View Post
Copper is the best for plugs besides gold. I ran a k&n on my pat and noticed a difference in milage and available power.
No offense but only in your mind did you see more power. The 2.4L puts out a whopping 170'ish HP and the 2.0L a massive 160'ish HP. Just adding a cone filter that breathes a little better will provide almost zero HP gains. Certainly no more than 1-2 at the flywheel which translates to nothing at the wheels. It is a placebo effect and nothing more. Either that or the factory paper filter was so clogged all you did was return performance to normal( same applies to any MPG gains ).

Drop in K&N filters do not do anything for power and minimal at best if any for MPG. Their only benefit is an extended sewrvice life over paper filters. They don't filter well at all either. Waste of money.
Active Drive I
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
dnovack2007
2001 WJ 

Y do you say k&n dont filter well? Im not trying to start a war just education. Is there a filter company thats reuseable better than another?
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
dnovack2007
2001 WJ 

Im not looking for hp mpg is great but i know filters dont do crap for both. Im just lookinh for ease of use and be able to wash insted of spending 15 on a filter all the time.
Unread 03-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
KLRJEEPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post

No offense but only in your mind did you see more power. The 2.4L puts out a whopping 170'ish HP and the 2.0L a massive 160'ish HP. Just adding a cone filter that breathes a little better will provide almost zero HP gains. Certainly no more than 1-2 at the flywheel which translates to nothing at the wheels. It is a placebo effect and nothing more. Either that or the factory paper filter was so clogged all you did was return performance to normal( same applies to any MPG gains ).

Drop in K&N filters do not do anything for power and minimal at best if any for MPG. Their only benefit is an extended sewrvice life over paper filters. They don't filter well at all either. Waste of money.
Ok.

I never saw anything. Holy crap. I remember why I don't come here any more
KLRJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
dnovack2007
2001 WJ 

Well now. Anyway back to the real conversation.
Unread 03-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRJEEPER View Post
Ok.

I never saw anything. Holy crap. I remember why I don't come here any more
I am trying to save you wasting your money. I am sorry that it came off like being a jerk. I used to run K&N myself but the truth is they are just a waste of money if you use them for any reason other than service life. They also let a LOT of crap through as they don't filter well( which is why they filter better after they get dirty - the dirt blocks stuff getting through ). All that dust and crap they let through ends up inside your motor which is not good.

Think about it. If you could simply drop in a filter like the K&N get real noticeable and usable power and/or MPG gains don't you think the car mfg's would be using them? Especially if they helped MPG. CAFE standards are getting harder and harder to meet and a car mfg would jump at such an easy and affordable way to bump MPG if it really improved it.

I am not saying you didn't see a rise in MPG and maybe even a little more felt power. But as I also poinetd out it wasn't due to the filter. It was due to some other factor that you aren't thinking about or looking at. Such as replacing a dirty and clogged filter, maybe you did it at the same time you did a tune up? Maybe you reset the PCM when you did it? Just dropping in a K&N replacement stock air filter in such a small HP motor just doesn't provide real world power or MPG gains. I have run them on enough vehicles to know that doesn't happen.

If you are happy wiith the filter however that is cool.
Active Drive I
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnovack2007 View Post
Im not looking for hp mpg is great but i know filters dont do crap for both. Im just lookinh for ease of use and be able to wash insted of spending 15 on a filter all the time.
You still have to buy the recharge kit and then spend the time cleaning the filter and reoiling it( don't over do it! ) before putting it back in. How much is your time worth? The recharge kits used to be about $15. What are they now? Just buy the paper filters and replace every 10-15K. I actually just replaced mine at 15K for the 1st time and it was suprisingly clean. Could have gone another 10-15K easy.
Active Drive I
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
dnovack2007
2001 WJ 

Then if paper is the way to go which mfg would be the best for the money? I was looking at the fram tough guard filter
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnovack2007 View Post
Y do you say k&n dont filter well? Im not trying to start a war just education. Is there a filter company thats reuseable better than another?
K&N's claim to fame is better flow,and yes they do flow better but filter worse.Your engine can only use so much incoming air until you do internal mods and programming to take advantage of those mods so that cheap paper filter outflows what your engine requires.In fact your air filter can be up to 85% clogged and your PCM will will adjust timing and fuel/air to maintain at least 75% performance and mpg's.

AEM,AFE,and amsoil all make washable filter that use no oil and filter as good or better then paper filters.
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #14
bigkat91
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post

K&N's claim to fame is better flow,and yes they do flow better but filter worse.Your engine can only use so much incoming air until you do internal mods and programming to take advantage of those mods so that cheap paper filter outflows what your engine requires.In fact your air filter can be up to 85% clogged and your PCM will will adjust timing and fuel/air to maintain at least 75% performance and mpg's.

AEM,AFE,and amsoil all make washable filter that use no oil and filter as good or better then paper filters.
Amsoil doesn't make an air filter for the 2011's +. Sad :/.
bigkat91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #15
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

When Amsoil doesn't make a filter they ALWAYS substitute/recommend a WIX, which is the same as NAPA Gold.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.