Trunk Jammed Closed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Trunk Jammed Closed

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
colinjeep
2008 MK Compass 

Trunk Jammed Closed

I have a 2008 Compass. The trunk actuator is dead and I can't get the trunk open. I have released the eyehole in the rear above the locking mechanism, but there is no way to get the solenoid to the open position. I cant get the panel off with the door closed. Does anyone know how to get past this obstacle. Thanks so much in advance!

colinjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

This won't be easy and I haven't tested this with the lift gate closed. You should be able to remove or loosen the bottom corners of the upper window trim with the lift gate closed. I don't think you can get to the two bolts on the lower left of the lower panel (looking from the inside of the cargo area) but you can pull out on the top and side portions of it. I know because mine has popped loose many time because the panel is just held in by spring clips. From there you 'should' be able to reach down and release the locking lever. Here's a few pictures that may help.
1-lifgtgate-trim.jpg   2-upper.jpg   3-lock-cyl.jpg  

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
colinjeep
2008 MK Compass 

Hello Bob
Thank you so much for your reply. I so appreciate it!
I've done what you suggested. Cant get my hand all the way down. But then I realised that the handle does work, the mechanism to unlock does function. In fact, there is a little keyhole that pops out of the panel and I see the lever move to the right when the handle is pulled outside. So the issue is not the unlock, but rather the solenoid that is in the locked position. There has to be something on the solenoid to unlock the mechanism, so that the handle can then work? Does this make sense?

Please let me know what you think?
Regard
Colin
colinjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Yes it does make sense. Have you tried pushing down or pulling up one the lift gate? maybe there is too much tension on the latch mechanism. Really though it sounds like the solenoid is just not functioning and you need a way to by-pass it to get the latch to work. If you could get a wire coat hanger bent correctly to pull or push on #2 or #3 in the second picture to operate #4 then you may be able to get it open. Have you tried calling a dealer to see if they have a way of getting it open? They may have a special tool to get to it. The only thing else I can think of is to take my panel off and take some pictures to see how it actually works.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
actuator , emergency , solenoid , stuck , trunk

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.