Transmission needs replaced - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Transmission needs replaced

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-03-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
mashnost

Transmission needs replaced

We've been feeling and hearing a "flutter" in the transmission of our 2007 Compass at about 40mph, we took it to the dealership and they told us that it will need a new transmission! At least it's covered under warranty but this shouldn't be happening at 26,000 miles! It also needs a new windshield wiper motor since the high setting wouldn't work... Anyone else having the same problems?

mashnost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

CVT or 5 speed?
Unread 09-03-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
mashnost

it's a CVT. We have to wait a week to get a new transmission shipped. Dealer told me that since it is a sealed system, they just replace the whole thing...not bad if you're under warranty, which I am!
Unread 09-04-2008, 02:47 AM   #4
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm, I was just wondering because I don't recall hearing about any other failed CVT's sorry for your bad luck. The 5 speed on the other hand I've heard quite a few horror stories about.
Unread 09-13-2008, 08:18 PM   #5
mashnost

Well, we got the transmission replaced....and the flutter and noise was still there...the service manager said that I might want to go check the tires since I had to replace 2 tires (one had a nail in the sidewall) about 2 months ago...I bought 2 more matching tires and voila, the noise went away...why didn't they check this in the first place? I didn't know that I needed to replace all 4 tires on an AWD vehicle at the same time! The transmission was covered under warranty but I can't help thinking that a transmission was completely unnecessary.
Unread 09-14-2008, 08:03 AM   #6
Zappy
2007 MK Compass 

I would hope that before any dealer would recommend replacing the transmission that they would really check it's condition instead of just saying it sounds like you need a new tranny and replace it like that. Did they say if they found any real evidence of transmission problems before they just changed it out?
Zappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #7
mashnost

Nope, I really think that they messed up and replaced the transmission without it needing it. When I first brought it in, they told me that they couldn't find anything wrong with it but that it was definitely making a sound and they could also feel the flutter, so they said it was probably internal and it would need a new transmission...Their mistake, my new transmission at 28000 miles.
Unread 09-15-2008, 07:06 AM   #8
Jawa78
2008 MK Compass 

Two things I learned from having a 99Limited WJ

1. Unless the tires are brand new you do not replace one or two tires you replace all 4.

2. Unless you mark your tires before going in for rotation the dealership or tire place will not rotate them properly. Most places are lazy and tend to do front to back rotation vs cross rotation.

AWD and 4x4 jeeps and cars are just plan picky when there is un even tread .
Jawa78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2008, 10:25 PM   #9
wil3284
1993 YJ Wrangler 

so was your tranny making like a metal clanging/ clunking sound also because i have a 07 compass and mine started doing that at about 10k miles and i was wondering about that myself it kind of scares me. i just dont want to be left on the side of the road. and did they give you a rental because this is my and the wifes only car right now.

You tube vid of my wrangler finally running
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNA8LeAjalk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLlqF71WLXw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RNu9lTwKxE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzq2FBCs4qU

need reptiles?
www.razorsharpreptiles.com

www.militaryjeepers.com
wil3284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2008, 06:03 AM   #10
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Mine makes a clunk when the clutch or whatever it is in the CVT disengages.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.