Trans Overheating - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Trans Overheating

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #16
taylor2384
2011 MK Patriot 

Hi all, I have a 2011 Patriot with 73,000 on it and it left me stranded on the highway yesterday. The transmission overheat light came up on the dash and the RPM on the tach went up but my speed went down. So I had it towed to the dealer I purchased it from and they said they can't find anything wrong with it! They are going to do a couple software updates and hope that fixes it. The powertrain update is covered but I have to pay the other. I can't believe a software update isn't covered under my extended warranty! I have been worried about this CVT since the month I had it and now I want to get rid of the vehicle because of it.

taylor2384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #17
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor2384 View Post
Hi all, I have a 2011 Patriot with 73,000 on it and it left me stranded on the highway yesterday. The transmission overheat light came up on the dash and the RPM on the tach went up but my speed went down. So I had it towed to the dealer I purchased it from and they said they can't find anything wrong with it! They are going to do a couple software updates and hope that fixes it. The powertrain update is covered but I have to pay the other. I can't believe a software update isn't covered under my extended warranty! I have been worried about this CVT since the month I had it and now I want to get rid of the vehicle because of it.
What is the other software update for? What kind of extended warranty do you have?
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #18
taylor2384
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares

What is the other software update for? What kind of extended warranty do you have?
Hello JeepCares, the software updates they performed were the powertrain control (PCM) and the transmission control module (TCM).

The extended warranty that I purchased was a 5 star plan through Warranty Solutions at the time I purchased the car.

I find it insane that a customer has to pay for a software update that the manufacturer came out with to solve an issue with their product. Coming from a equipment dealer background that's not a good practice and its little things like this that sways customers decisions on their next big purchase.
Unread 08-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #19
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I would have a fluid change on it. trans fluid change should happen every 60k miles anyways, and since it over heated, you might have cooked trans fluid.

overheated could be caused by low fluid too. so changing it should fix that issue as well.
aroundincircles is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #20
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Doesnt the owners manual say to change fluid at 120k unless driven hard?
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #21
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Oh, yeah, I only read the first part of it. 60k for driving hard, 120k for typical driving. Thanks for catching that. But if it over heated, I would still change the fluid...
aroundincircles is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #22
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Yeah, but if it overheated prematurely, change the fluid on Jeeps dime.
Unread 08-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #23
JeepCares

Quote:
I can't believe a software update isn't covered under my extended warranty! I have been worried about this CVT since the month I had it and now I want to get rid of the vehicle because of it.
Quote:
I find it insane that a customer has to pay for a software update that the manufacturer came out with to solve an issue with their product. Coming from a equipment dealer background that's not a good practice and its little things like this that sways customers decisions on their next big purchase.
I think the service bulletin you are referring is below. Note it has been out there awhile. How long have you had your Pat? How much were you actually charged - was it less than the deductible on your extended warranty?

Quote:
The transmission overheat light came up on the dash and the RPM on the tach went up but my speed went down. So I had it towed to the dealer I purchased it from and they said they can't find anything wrong with it! They are going to do a couple software updates and hope that fixes it.
Any idea if it did fix it? You've only been stranded that one time? No symptoms before that?
NUMBER: 21-010-11
GROUP: Transmission and
Transfer Case
DATE: October 26, 2011
SUBJECT:
Flash: Driveability and Transmission Performance Improvements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM) and Transmission Control Module (TCM) with new software.
NOTE: Both the PCM and TCM must be reprogrammed for these changes to be
implemented.
MODELS:
2011 (MK) Compass/Patriot
2011 (PM) Caliber
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 2.0L or 2.4L (sales code ECN or ED3) equipped with an automatic transmission (sales code DAV).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience any of the following:
I. Overall improved acceleration and responsiveness to throttle input.
II. Improved highway speed throttle pedal responsiveness and passing acceleration.
III. Reduce engine RPM’s while accelerating at highway speeds.
IV. Deceleration bump felt between speeds of 20 - 25 MPH (32 - 40 KPH).
V. Less throttle pedal effort necessary to maintain a constant highway speed.
VI. RPM hangs (HI RPM) after a normal acceleration followed by the driver reducing the
throttle input.
Updating the PCM and TCM software will correct the conditions listed above.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #24
taylor2384
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:

I think the service bulletin you are referring is below. Note it has been out there awhile. How long have you had your Pat? How much were you actually charged - was it less than the deductible on your extended warranty?

Any idea if it did fix it? You've only been stranded that one time? No symptoms before that?

Transfer Case
SUBJECT:
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
implemented.
MODELS:
2011 (PM) Caliber
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 2.0L or 2.4L (sales code ECN or ED3) equipped with an automatic transmission (sales code DAV).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
II. Improved highway speed throttle pedal responsiveness and passing acceleration.
VI. RPM hangs (HI RPM) after a normal acceleration followed by the driver reducing the
throttle input.
Yes, so far so good. The transmission still makes an obvious whining noise (like it did before). Especially after I drive for more than about 15-20 miles and even more when it's hot out over (80 degrees). This was the first time I was left stranded and had to pull over.
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #25
taylor2384
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:

Transfer Case
SUBJECT:
OVERVIEW:
implemented.
MODELS:
2011 (PM) Caliber
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
throttle input.
I purchased my Patriot January 2011 from this same dealer.

After arguing with the service writer because he stated I was getting billed for the update, I looked at my invoice and I was actually charged for the tech to test drive and a loaner vehicle. Both I still don't agree with but I will take that up with my dealer. My deductible is $100.
Unread 09-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #26
Jeepguy44

Starting Recall Effort for Jeep Patriot Transmission Overheat

Hey guys, I'm working on getting Chrysler to address this problem on a larger scale--they wouldn't fix mine either...it's absolutely ridiculous. Share your story on (oneword): Jeep Patriot Transmission Overheat (dot) com
Jeepguy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #27
Woodzy24

Hey Guys,

I have a 2011 Jeep Patriot 70th anniversary edition with 28k on the clock. I've been having what sounds like a similar problem. Fluctuating rpm needle even when the car is on cruise control.

Sluggish acceleration followed by over acceleration. Bumpy ride as if the car can't find the correct gear in the lower speeds. This stops only if I switch to manual. Whining noise- more than normal! We took it to the local dealership. They told us it sounds like dirty fuel. They recommended using premium for a while. This reduced the number of instances but didn't fix the problem. They kept the car for 2 weeks and said they didn't find a problem. I was pretty taken aback.

We told them we wouldn't take the car back as it wasn't safe. They recommended giving driving techniques (to women) which actually wouldn't fix the problem-just treat the symptoms. This involves using manual rather than automatic. I was double mad by this point.

We complained to jeep which meant the dealership was authorized to run a fuller investigation- we authorized them to put some mileage on it. The result. They found nothing. They told us that when customers reported this problem if they replaced the throttle it seemed to resolve the issue. Which they did.

1 day later it started again. We took video footage and went to another dealership we purchased it from. Within five minutes the guy said it sounds like the transmission. You are under warranty we will replace. I was delighted until suddenly they can't find the problem and have kept it overnight to give it a "cold start" and hook it up to a computer. If they don't find the problem and fix it. I want to know what I can do ?

So far the customer service has blamed woman driving( no skill involved in auto driving- I'm from Ireland we all drive manual) dirty fuel,
There is no problem it's all in your head. And finally what problem?

What are my options here if they don't find anything?

Thanks!
Woodzy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #28
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

The owners manual specifically says to use regular gas (87 octane) and that there is no benefit to using premium. It isn't a high compression engine and that is all 91-93 octane is for. High performance engines. The dealer was lying to you. (big surprise there).
Unread 09-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #29
Woodzy24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR
The owners manual specifically says to use regular gas (87 octane) and that there is no benefit to using premium. It isn't a high compression engine and that is all 91-93 octane is for. High performance engines. The dealer was lying to you. (big surprise there).
Thank you! Very helpful. The current dealership said they hooked it up to a computer today and took it for a drive- they recorded that it malfunctioned four times. Relieved they acknowledged a fault. Will be interesting to see if they can fix it!
Woodzy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #30
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

And dont forget to leave bad reviews for the other dealer everywhere you can find. Yelp etc.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.