Trans Overheating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Trans Overheating

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
goobie1
2011 MK Patriot 

Trans Overheating

My 2011 Patriot has 30,000 miles & recently the transmission has overheated twice. Took it to my dealer where I was told it needed a software update for the CVT which they installed. Of course the fluid needed to be changed since it was burned & they refused to cover this under warranty. Cost $300. Has anybody had this experience & what did you do about it?? Thanks.

goobie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Recommended change interval is 64,000 at least isn't it? That should be covered.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
Recommended change interval is 64,000 at least isn't it? That should be covered.
Maintenace items are not covered under warranty like fluid replacements unless directly part of a warranty repair like a trans replacement then yes the fluid would be covered.
Unread 09-22-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Then what is the service interval? Wouldn't it need one to be considered a maintenance item?
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I would think that a needed software update that caused an over heating condition on the CVT would be warranty item and subsequently the fluid change. I would talk to Jeep about this.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
I would think that a needed software update that caused an over heating condition on the CVT would be warranty item and subsequently the fluid change. I would talk to Jeep about this.
They have software updates come out monthly for something,not really needed but they may have found a parameter set that works better or increase/decrease a threshold before tripping a code/light,stuff like that.

Just the same as when you get updates for your computers operating system,just little tweaks here and there.
Unread 09-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Since it wasn't a recall or Rapid Response update it shouldn't have caused this kind of issue? Just asking.

Unread 09-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

I am with gramps. I don't think a simple software update would solve the issue, they may be just pawning it off to get you (and a possibly time-consuming warranty fix) out of their shop as quickly as possible. Definitely talk to Jeep about this directly.
[I]4.7L V8, 545RFE, Big Horn Edition[/I]
jasonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
goobie1
2011 MK Patriot 

Transmission Overheating

Thanks for all the great replies & suggestions. I am contacting Jeep to ask for reimbursment for the fluid change & to document it in case there are any further problems with the transmission. Unfortunately, I anticipate there could be further down the road. The car runs noticibly better, smoother, lower RPM's now. The update was for transmission & engine performance, # 21-010-11. Maintenance schedule calls for fluid change at 64,000 miles under severe conditions, 120,000 miles for normal. The car has never towed anything. I also have a 2010 Honda wihich recently needed a similar update, but they notified the owners. Neither Jeep nor the dealer, who has serviced it several times, told me about this. Instead I had to wait for it to overheat to find out. When this happens, a warning light comes on & some type of limiter or governor kicks in & drops your speed & RPM's until it cools down. Will let you know what happens. Thanks again!!!!
Unread 10-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
goobie1
2011 MK Patriot 

Transmission Overheating

I contacted Jeep & they ended up reimbursing me $200 for the trans fluid change. They actually have a Reimbursement Department that handles these things. They applied what they called a "co-payment" to the total bill of $300 - other words for this are depreciation or betterment. If you have ever had an insurance claim then you are probably familiar with this concept. Anyway, it's better than nothing & more than the dealer was willing to do. They will not be getting any more of my business. I'm just praying there are no more problems with the transmission.
Unread 10-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I'm glad that you got some satisfaction out of this from Jeep. Yup, I'd find a new dealer too.

Unread 10-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
goobie1
2011 MK Patriot 

Oh yea. if you do a Goggle search you will see this is not an unusual problem for the Patriot/Compass/Caliber. There is even a YouTube video a guy took of his instrument panel when it was happening. Just remember, Jeep actually has a Reimbursement Department!!!!!!
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
NHBart
2011 MK Patriot 

2011 Patriot transmission overheat

I also have a 2011 Patriot with 58k that is having transmission overheating issues. It happens after about 1.5 hrs on the road. It starts with the transmission getting loud and then goes into safe mode. It has been to to the dealer 3x and there are no computer cods for them to figure it out. I do no towing and it has not been with heavy loads. I am considering using the lemon law as the dealer is unable to figure it out. The last time they had it for 3 weeks. Told me to drive it again and see if it happens again. Isn't 3x enough? It is extre dangerous to be stopped or go 40 mph on a busy interstate. The unit is sealed so I can't even check the fluid. Any ideas?
NHBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBart View Post
I also have a 2011 Patriot with 58k that is having transmission overheating issues. It happens after about 1.5 hrs on the road. It starts with the transmission getting loud and then goes into safe mode. It has been to to the dealer 3x and there are no computer cods for them to figure it out. I do no towing and it has not been with heavy loads. I am considering using the lemon law as the dealer is unable to figure it out. The last time they had it for 3 weeks. Told me to drive it again and see if it happens again. Isn't 3x enough? It is extre dangerous to be stopped or go 40 mph on a busy interstate. The unit is sealed so I can't even check the fluid. Any ideas?
Might check your local lemon laws,58k in most cases is way to many miles to even consider the lemon law.In most states those 3 trips must be within the 1st year and 12,000 miles for the same issue.
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
goobie1
2011 MK Patriot 

Sorry you are having problems. Have you contacted Jeep in Detroit? Does your dealer seem to know what they're doing? I don't know anything about lemon laws but sounds like that is an avenue you may wish to look at. I have approx 55,000 miles on mine now with no further problems and have liked the vehicle overall. Good Luck!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.