JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Trans Overheating (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/trans-overheating-1419747/)

goobie1 09-21-2012 03:11 PM

Trans Overheating

My 2011 Patriot has 30,000 miles & recently the transmission has overheated twice. Took it to my dealer where I was told it needed a software update for the CVT which they installed. Of course the fluid needed to be changed since it was burned & they refused to cover this under warranty. Cost $300. Has anybody had this experience & what did you do about it?? Thanks.

FujativeOCR 09-21-2012 09:34 PM

Recommended change interval is 64,000 at least isn't it? That should be covered.

tjkj2002 09-21-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FujativeOCR (Post 14201227)
Recommended change interval is 64,000 at least isn't it? That should be covered.

Maintenace items are not covered under warranty like fluid replacements unless directly part of a warranty repair like a trans replacement then yes the fluid would be covered.

FujativeOCR 09-22-2012 12:48 AM

Then what is the service interval? Wouldn't it need one to be considered a maintenance item?

Gramps 09-22-2012 06:46 AM

I would think that a needed software update that caused an over heating condition on the CVT would be warranty item and subsequently the fluid change. I would talk to Jeep about this.

tjkj2002 09-22-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gramps (Post 14202028)
I would think that a needed software update that caused an over heating condition on the CVT would be warranty item and subsequently the fluid change. I would talk to Jeep about this.

They have software updates come out monthly for something,not really needed but they may have found a parameter set that works better or increase/decrease a threshold before tripping a code/light,stuff like that.

Just the same as when you get updates for your computers operating system,just little tweaks here and there.

Gramps 09-23-2012 08:13 AM

Since it wasn't a recall or Rapid Response update it shouldn't have caused this kind of issue? Just asking.

jasonwe 09-23-2012 07:10 PM

I am with gramps. I don't think a simple software update would solve the issue, they may be just pawning it off to get you (and a possibly time-consuming warranty fix) out of their shop as quickly as possible. Definitely talk to Jeep about this directly.

goobie1 09-25-2012 01:52 PM

Transmission Overheating

Thanks for all the great replies & suggestions. I am contacting Jeep to ask for reimbursment for the fluid change & to document it in case there are any further problems with the transmission. Unfortunately, I anticipate there could be further down the road. The car runs noticibly better, smoother, lower RPM's now. The update was for transmission & engine performance, # 21-010-11. Maintenance schedule calls for fluid change at 64,000 miles under severe conditions, 120,000 miles for normal. The car has never towed anything. I also have a 2010 Honda wihich recently needed a similar update, but they notified the owners. Neither Jeep nor the dealer, who has serviced it several times, told me about this. Instead I had to wait for it to overheat to find out. When this happens, a warning light comes on & some type of limiter or governor kicks in & drops your speed & RPM's until it cools down. Will let you know what happens. Thanks again!!!!

goobie1 10-26-2012 12:15 PM

Transmission Overheating

I contacted Jeep & they ended up reimbursing me $200 for the trans fluid change. They actually have a Reimbursement Department that handles these things. They applied what they called a "co-payment" to the total bill of $300 - other words for this are depreciation or betterment. If you have ever had an insurance claim then you are probably familiar with this concept. Anyway, it's better than nothing & more than the dealer was willing to do. They will not be getting any more of my business. I'm just praying there are no more problems with the transmission.

Gramps 10-26-2012 04:24 PM

I'm glad that you got some satisfaction out of this from Jeep. Yup, I'd find a new dealer too.

goobie1 10-29-2012 10:09 AM

Oh yea. if you do a Goggle search you will see this is not an unusual problem for the Patriot/Compass/Caliber. There is even a YouTube video a guy took of his instrument panel when it was happening. Just remember, Jeep actually has a Reimbursement Department!!!!!!

NHBart 07-27-2013 11:53 AM

2011 Patriot transmission overheat

I also have a 2011 Patriot with 58k that is having transmission overheating issues. It happens after about 1.5 hrs on the road. It starts with the transmission getting loud and then goes into safe mode. It has been to to the dealer 3x and there are no computer cods for them to figure it out. I do no towing and it has not been with heavy loads. I am considering using the lemon law as the dealer is unable to figure it out. The last time they had it for 3 weeks. Told me to drive it again and see if it happens again. Isn't 3x enough? It is extre dangerous to be stopped or go 40 mph on a busy interstate. The unit is sealed so I can't even check the fluid. Any ideas?

tjkj2002 07-28-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHBart (Post 15724668)
I also have a 2011 Patriot with 58k that is having transmission overheating issues. It happens after about 1.5 hrs on the road. It starts with the transmission getting loud and then goes into safe mode. It has been to to the dealer 3x and there are no computer cods for them to figure it out. I do no towing and it has not been with heavy loads. I am considering using the lemon law as the dealer is unable to figure it out. The last time they had it for 3 weeks. Told me to drive it again and see if it happens again. Isn't 3x enough? It is extre dangerous to be stopped or go 40 mph on a busy interstate. The unit is sealed so I can't even check the fluid. Any ideas?

Might check your local lemon laws,58k in most cases is way to many miles to even consider the lemon law.In most states those 3 trips must be within the 1st year and 12,000 miles for the same issue.

goobie1 07-28-2013 05:28 PM

Sorry you are having problems. Have you contacted Jeep in Detroit? Does your dealer seem to know what they're doing? I don't know anything about lemon laws but sounds like that is an avenue you may wish to look at. I have approx 55,000 miles on mine now with no further problems and have liked the vehicle overall. Good Luck!!

The time now is 10:29 AM.