Trailer tow prep package question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Trailer tow prep package question

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
mjstk

Trailer tow prep package question

So, after owning GM products for 15 years, I am the proud new owner of an '08 Jeep Patriot. I've had my Patriot for 2 whole days now, and I'm officially hooked on Jeeps. I want to have a hitch installed, but I am having a hard time finding out if the one I bought has the trailer tow prep package installed already. I've tried searching the forum and searching the web for my VIN, but I can't seem to find anything that tells me where I can find a list of options for my Patriot. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

I plan on having the oil cooler installed if I don't have one, but it would be nice to know if I actually need one first.

mjstk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
miscrap

Do you have a full size spare tire? The tow prep package included one. Also, it came with a wiring harness do you have a 4 flat plug in back?
miscrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
TeHpWNaG3
2007 MK Patriot 

Even though I bought the tow package from the dealer up front, I still had to bring the vehicle in to have the hardware and electrical installed. YMMV.

If you have the wiring harness pre-installed, pull out the rear deck to access the spare tire. If you don't see the plug somewhere inside the compartment, they may have it tucked behind the left side panel. Facing the rear of the vehicle, pop out the left side interior panel and look for the power module and/or harness plug. All the cargo area panels comes out fairly easy. Just pull them straight back from where they attach to the body. They snap back in even easier. Some of the foam seals may have to be pulled first, so keep an eye their orientation. Some of the panels overlap, so keep an eye on which ones come out and go back in first. It's simple, but I don't want you to go in totally blind.

If you don't have the tow package electrical, honestly, I would buy them in the aftermarket and install them yourself, unless you don't feel comfortable doing any of this.

I installed the oil cooler kit myself. I don't do a lot of towing, I like neat options like this, so I installed it. It will make your coolant temp run a little warmer, but I think the intended benefits are there. It's up to you on whether or not you actually need it.
TeHpWNaG3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
mjstk

Thanks! I was just about to ask where I could find the wire harness. I will check that out.
mjstk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.