Trailer Light Harness - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Trailer Light Harness

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
HomerJ
2007 MK Compass 

Trailer Light Harness

I am wondering if something like this would be OK to use on my 07 Compass? I only tow my boat 30 seconds down the road to the launch and back maybe once or twice a year, and didn't want to spend $100 or more on the harness from Mopar. This one looks like it splices inline to the wires for the existing tail lights.

tail light converter | Trailer Wiring | Electrical | Towing | Princess Auto

What do you guys think?

HomerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The MK's route everything threw the Totally Integrated Power Module which require relays for the trailer lights to work correctly. Without the relays the system reads an overload and will either shut down or blow the TIPM. Drawtite and some others do make some harnesses with relays that are less expensive than the factory units but you'll have problems with the one that you've linked to here.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
HomerJ
2007 MK Compass 

Ok, thanks for the info. I see that Uhaul makes one too that draws its power for the lights right from the battery. Is that pretty much what the ones with relays do?

I was trying to cheap out, but I guess that won't be possible.
HomerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The factory harness gets power from the battery with a link going into the TIPM. I think the aftermarket harnesses can be had for about $50 while the factory ones go for twice that much. I have the factory one and can't give you a recommendation on the aftermarkets. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass , electrical , patriot , tow harness , trailer harness , trailer lights

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.