Trailer Hitch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Trailer Hitch

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
Liberty6

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Trailer Hitch

Hey all, I'm thinking of trading my 2011 Liberty in for a 2014 Patriot 4x4.
Is it possible to install a hitch on the Patriot, ive never seen one with a hitch and I pull a small utility trailer. Ive noticed on the Jeep web page you can order a hitch with a manual tranny, but don't see if it's possible to get a hitch with the automatic. Appreciate any answers

Liberty6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
937Comanche
1991 MJ Comanche 

Not only is it possible it is relatively easy to do. if you do not order the factory towing package bumper cover you will have to trim the rear bumper cover at the bottom to allow the receiver to stick through, though. I used a 2" Curt and ordered it with a wiring kit. I used the bolts already on my factory two hooks on the driver's side. Get a FD-1 Pat with the new six speed auto...by far the best MK I have driven and I have driven/ridden in just abut every combo.

I did some comparison shopping and got mine through Amazon with a wiring kit for about $140 shipped.
pat-trailer.jpg  
Unread 08-17-2014, 03:46 PM   #3
miscrap

One thing, there is no oil cooler available from Jeep to go with the 6 speed automatic, so you're limited to 1,000 lbs.
miscrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
Liberty6

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I did some digging on the Jeep site and they do offer everything including the oil cooler kit, kinda weird though cause ive been told by dealer guys that the Patriot can't tow anything. I only got a utility trailer. Appreciate the help.
Liberty6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 07:47 AM   #5
miscrap

You can find Patriots with the 6 speed that have the factory towing prep package which includes the oil cooler, but you can't add an oil cooler to a 6 speed Patriot. The only Mopar kits available are for the 5 speed manual and the CVT.
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
937Comanche
1991 MJ Comanche 

Keep in mind that sometimes the factory is completely full of crap. On my '14 I made the dealer install the skid plate package as part of the deal. They checked and Ma' Mopar said that there were no skid plates for the '14 auto. Just as on the oil cooler were people say "The only Mopar kits available are for the 5 speed manual and the CVT." BS. I had them order up all of the '13 plates and fasteners for that CVT thing. Guess what? They bolted on just like they would have on that '13. The dealer dude who installed it confirmed that it was straightforward and no mods had to be made. There is definitely a trailer package available with the 6-spd. So....yeah, if there is a factory oil cooler there is one in the parts chain somewhere. Anyone who doubts this is not using common sense. And it may well be the same one already in use, just like with the "they don't make them" skid plates for mine. It just takes a guinea pig to test it.
Unread 08-18-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
miscrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 937Comanche View Post
Keep in mind that sometimes the factory is completely full of crap. On my '14 I made the dealer install the skid plate package as part of the deal. They checked and Ma' Mopar said that there were no skid plates for the '14 auto. Just as on the oil cooler were people say "The only Mopar kits available are for the 5 speed manual and the CVT." BS. I had them order up all of the '13 plates and fasteners for that CVT thing. Guess what? They bolted on just like they would have on that '13. The dealer dude who installed it confirmed that it was straightforward and no mods had to be made. There is definitely a trailer package available with the 6-spd. So....yeah, if there is a factory oil cooler there is one in the parts chain somewhere. Anyone who doubts this is not using common sense. And it may well be the same one already in use, just like with the "they don't make them" skid plates for mine. It just takes a guinea pig to test it.

I've contacted several people at Jeep, as well as with several suppliers. The answer is always...

Unfortunately Mopar does not currently offer a Engine/Transmission Cooler Kit for the new 2014 Patriot & Compass with the 6 speed automatic transmission. Once a cooler kit becomes available we will add it to the site, so check back for future updates from Mopar.

Thanks!
Corey

Corey Silvia
Director of Parts Operations
JustForJeeps.com

And

Thank you for your recent inquiry to Mopar.com

Please contact your local dealer for information on the part and to
place your order.
Currently an oil cooler for your 2104 Patriot is not available through
Mopar.com.
Please check in again at Mopar.com as we continue to add new accessories
and parts often.

Thanks again for contacting Mopar.com

Sincerely,

Duane

Customer Service Representative
Mopar Customer Assistance

Last edited by miscrap; 08-18-2014 at 11:15 PM..
Unread 08-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
southernsally
2014 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty6 View Post
Hey all, I'm thinking of trading my 2011 Liberty in for a 2014 Patriot 4x4.
Is it possible to install a hitch on the Patriot, ive never seen one with a hitch and I pull a small utility trailer. Ive noticed on the Jeep web page you can order a hitch with a manual tranny, but don't see if it's possible to get a hitch with the automatic. Appreciate any answers
It's definitely possible to install a hitch on the Patriot. I see people with hitches on their Patriots all the time where I live. I actually got mine for my Wrangler from hitchweb.com If you are still looking for a hitch, you should definitely check them out
southernsally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #9
937Comanche
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscrap View Post
I've contacted several people at Jeep, as well as with several suppliers. The answer is always...

Unfortunately Mopar does not currently offer a Engine/Transmission Cooler Kit for the new 2014 Patriot & Compass with the 6 speed automatic transmission. Once a cooler kit becomes available we will add it to the site, so check back for future updates from Mopar.

Thanks!
Corey

Corey Silvia
Director of Parts Operations
JustForJeeps.com

And

Thank you for your recent inquiry to Mopar.com

Please contact your local dealer for information on the part and to
place your order.
Currently an oil cooler for your 2104 Patriot is not available through
Mopar.com.
Please check in again at Mopar.com as we continue to add new accessories
and parts often.

Thanks again for contacting Mopar.com

Sincerely,

Duane

Customer Service Representative
Mopar Customer Assistance
I believe that your dealer and Mopar.com are telling you that. It is just that they are full of it. I called my dealer and there is still no skid "package" available for a '14 auto. Yet I have them on mine. It must be magic.

If you wrecked your '14 Pat with the auto and the trailer tow package and the cooler could not be repaired would they total the vehicle as it could not be fixed? Nope. So the cooler/lines are out there.

First the tranny:
I cannot see my tranny due to the skid. But most auto's have an inefficient cooler in the radiator. This is true of the CVT. To show its lack of efficiency note the number of posts of CVT guys whose tranny temp warning light comes on even when not towing. The factory in-radiator coolers have lines running to it from the tranny. This most likely applies to the 6-spd as well as such a design is nearly universal. The easy thing to do would be to splice into those lines and add an auxiliary cooler. I realize that most MK owners are going to be too frightened to do that and that leaves dealer stuff. However they apparently did not offer a stand-alone or auxiliary tranny cooler from the factory either as an option when new or as a factory kit to upgrade the stock tranny cooler for an MK. So it appears that unless you go aftermarket you are stuck with the radiator-mounted one. Other than that maybe they will decide to put together a stand-alone tranny cooler upgrade "package" and give it a part number. Don't look for that as the MK is a lame duck and if they haven't felt the need before this they are not going to now. But to reiterate if there is a factory tranny cooler there are parts to duplicate it.

Engine oil cooler:
And as far the engine goes the same thing applies. If it exists as a factory set up ( and we know it does) then it is out there as spare parts. Maybe asking for individual parts as opposed to a kit would help? If you look at the kit already available for other MK drivetrain combos it is a common and ancient designed sandwich that you insert between the filter and housing. This attaches to the ENGINE not the TRANSMISSION and the engine did not change by all reports. The CVT from '09 up shares the same lines from the sandwich to the radiator as the manual ( http://www.mopar.com/part/82210701 ). What do you wanna bet that the same lines work from the unchanged engine on the '14 or that they could be made to do so easily? This system then has lines running to from the sandwich to the factory radiator hoses and then uses the radiator to cool the engine oil. This is a stupid & inefficient design where an aux. cooler would work much better.

If I were to feel the need for this upgrade I would run separate stand-alone coolers for each component. Either way all you would really need from the factory the correct sandwich on the engine....which is almost assuredly the same across the line. Then running lines to an aux. cooler/radiator would be a cinch whether you did one for both components or just the engine.
mk-oil-cooler.jpg

Unread 08-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #10
miscrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 937Comanche View Post

If you wrecked your '14 Pat with the auto and the trailer tow package and the cooler could not be repaired would they total the vehicle as it could not be fixed? Nope. So the cooler/lines are out there.

That was the exact argument I made. The response I got from JeepCares on another forum was :

"I am not sure what it would entail - or even if you can - add a cooler using production replacement parts. You might want to try checking with your dealer."

I have no doubt that the sandwich for the oil filter should be the same. So I guess the only part we need to track down is the hose that comes with the tow prep package on the '14 Pat with the 6 speed auto. I'll keep looking.
Unread 08-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #11
937Comanche
1991 MJ Comanche 

Someone will eventually want one bad enough to order up the kit I posted above and try it. Then we will see. My trailer is too small to warrant me spending even the $150 on it. Well, you would loose a little oil and you would need to drain the radiator if you did it the stock way so it would be closer to $200. Not a bank breaker but not on my radar as I do not need it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.