Trail rated badge - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Trail rated badge

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-20-2007, 07:34 PM   #16
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonegunner
Poser...eh?

Might as well go and get a Congressional Medal of Honor and wear it .. and tell about how you won it...

Of that you are a Seal (in the Army even ...)

Yep... poser...
In that case, everybody who has a Trail Rated or lifted Jeep or 33" tires or off road lighting or skid plates or etc., etc. and DOESN'T take it off-road is also a poser. I'd rather be a wanna be and try, than to never make the effort. Since older Jeeps don't have the badge they must not be worthy either. If we can go over the trails that we want, then it's our kind of Trail Rated.

Equating wearing a Trail Rated badge to the Congressional, now there's a stretch. We hardly need Congrssional approval to enjoy our Jeep's in our own way.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 07:50 AM   #17
sracer

Quote:
Poser...eh?

Might as well go and get a Congressional Medal of Honor and wear it .. and tell about how you won it...

Of that you are a Seal (in the Army even ...)

Yep... poser...
Are you so insecure that you cannot take this whole badge thing in the spirit it is intended and must resort to insults?

Your Congressional Medal of Honor comparison is so way off base I can't help but wonder if you have given it any thought before posting it....because where in this thread did anyone say anything about making stories up about the trails we've tackled? Where did anyone say that we're going to indulge a "Walter Mitty" fantasy and pretend that we used our Patriots to traverse the deepest blackest jungles of the Amazon rain forest?

Here's a little info for you... approximately 90% of Jeeps factory-equipped with the "Trail Rated" badge never see terrain more challenging than a gravel parking lot. (feel free to dig out the study and verify it yourself)

Would you consider those 90% who don't take advantage of the "Trail Rated" capabilities to be posers? Because after all, they are giving others the impression that they are using their Jeeps for the tough trails.

You make it sound like the "Trail Rated" badge is some sort of sacred medallion, maybe even something that should be guarded and restricted like coinage. If so, take THAT beef to the Jeep dealerships who give them out like candy.

When it comes right down to it, my FDI Patriot is indeed Rated (by me) for the Trails that I will be tackling.

[/url][/SIZE]
sracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 08:37 AM   #18
phonegunner
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Now let us think ... and really think...

The vehicle as it was designed by the Manufacturer is "Trail Rated"... as the Manufacturer has set the testing that needs to be passed to earn the "Trail Rated" marking.

That does not mean the the Un-Trail Rated vehicles can not be modified to be or be capable of Trail Rated equivalence.

The Trail Rated is "as built from the factory".

It has nothing to do with how it is driven, where it is driven or how it is modified by the owner, but how it is built and equipped by the Manufacturer.

If you want to POSE and put a Trail Rated badge on your vehicle that was not manufactured as Trail Rated then go ahead ... POSE. You are the one that knows (and others that are in the know will know) that it was not from the Manufacturer as a Trail Rated vehicle.

This is the same with those that BUILD their own 1970 Convertible Hemi Challengers with 4 speeds and the like... only the true ones built from the Manufacturer are what they are. All others are POSERS and know it.

So, if it came with the badge from the manufacturer then that is what it is...

If it did not come with the badge from the manufacturer and you want to put a badge on it .. go ahead...

However just because you want it does not make up for what the badge really was intended for...

These days you can buy anything you want and do anything you want...

Why not design your own badge that says "Street Rated".. or one that says "My Trail Rated"...

Ted...
2005 TJ Wrangler X (now with the oldest daughter)
2006 KJ Liberty Renegade (the work vehicle)
2007 MK (or is that mmmmmk?) Compass Limited (the wifes 4x4 daily driver)
phonegunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 09:04 AM   #19
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

No problems there. Even Road Rated or Snow Rated would be cool. We could also modify a Jeep badge that says "Trail Rated by me". Maybe I can sell them on eBay.

Speaking of Challengers, I'd be a poser on that too, just like ALL customs, a '72 with full T/A equipment from a '70 including the grill but not the tail lights. The whole idea is to enjoy what you have, however you want. The Hemi re-makes are now bringing in almost as much as the originals and they are sold as re-makes and they are not being referred to as "posers".

However, I would rather be called a "wanna be" as opposed to a "Poser", it's all in the connotation . Most do agree that the Trail Rated badge is more of a marketing tool than anything else even tho they are tested for the attributes. I don't believe that it's a question of being a poser as much as it is being able to accessorize or customize the way you want.

The term Trail Rated comes from the Nevada Automotive Test Center and not from the manufactures. If you have the money, they will test and certify anything that you want to build whether you're a manufacturer or not.

http://www.natc-ht.com/V_TRCS.htm

Unread 04-21-2007, 12:40 PM   #20
phonegunner
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ok...

Truce...

But yeah..... the "Trail Rated by me" might just go over good...

Ted...

PS: my wife really likes the Compass Limited she just bought (looks just like yours Gramps..)
Unread 04-21-2007, 12:57 PM   #21
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
ok...

Truce...

But yeah..... the "Trail Rated by me" might just go over good...

Ted...

PS: my wife really likes the Compass Limited she just bought (looks just like yours Gramps..)
Cool! I'm lovin' mine too. BTW, to the group! . Some times we need to get our blood flowing!

Unread 12-22-2007, 02:21 PM   #22
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer
Go for it! Since putting that badge on, I'm getting 5 MPG more, I'm losing weight, and my hair is growing back.... just imagine what it can do for winter driving!

just in case anyone was wondering why i added the "Trail Rated" badge to my Compass....just read the above quote. if you were a 50+yr old male and could accomplish all this with the addition of one emblem on your Jeep, wouldn't YOU?
whoever said "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!" must have been out of their minds......
trail-rated-compass.jpg

Last edited by Jeepster55; 12-22-2007 at 10:12 PM..
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2007, 12:31 PM   #23
phonegunner
1997 TJ Wrangler 

sracer and 51_Jeepster... are you telling me that the Trail Rated badge is similar to playing a country western song backwards...?

Merry Christmas to all ....

Ted...
Unread 12-24-2007, 01:19 PM   #24
Jeepster55

Quote:
sracer and 51_Jeepster... are you telling me that the Trail Rated badge is similar to playing a country western song backwards...?

Merry Christmas to all ....

Ted...

in so many words....YES!!!

Merry Christmas to all as well!
Unread 12-24-2007, 03:56 PM   #25
Jeepster55

according to Websters Dictionary under "TRAIL....#3C: "a course followed or to be followed"

since my Compass follows a 'trail' to and from work, each and every day, rain or shine, snow, sleet or gloom of night", then i feel i can proudly claim that it is "Trail Rated"....as in MY 'trail' to and from work. at least mine is a 4X4 and not one of those wimpy 4X2 FWD's....or worse, a Patriot that is referred to as a 'truck'!

and besides, as someone else pointed out, the "Trail Rated" thing is only a marketing tool anyway. are you guys saying that a CJ, YJ or even an early TJ are NOT 'Trail Rated" just because they DON'T have a badge on them? when i'm done with my Compass, other than having the 'FDII' Pkg, mine will have the same 'stuff' as a "Trail Rated" Patriot.

Last edited by Jeepster55; 12-31-2007 at 05:58 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.