Towing Capacity - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Towing Capacity

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Reply
Unread 07-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
ScottLaFoy
Registered User
2013 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3
Towing Capacity

Hello, we just bought a brand new 2013 Jeep Compass from the Rocky Mountain Dodge dealer. We spent all day test driving and discussing options with the sales people. Our first and only need going in was it had to be able to tow up to 2000 pounds. We didn't want something that would use up a lot of gas because it is a commuter during the week and it would pull the tent trailer, or sport bike trailer on the weekend. After assuring us repeatedly the vehicle could tow 2000 pounds we purchased it. 5000 km later and we go and look in the owners manual to see if they have the hitch part number so we can order the parts and install it, turns out that this Compass can only tow 1000 pounds. That is no where close to enough. So after some investigating I have found that some Compass's can tow 1000 and other can tow 2000 and they have the same engine and transmission. It seems that the only difference is the oil cooler is on the ones that can tow 2000.

My question is, if I install the oil cooler will I be able to tow 2000 pounds? I am going to go back to the dealer with any info I can gather here so I have some knowledge, because I do not trust the dealership one bit. I hope I can make this work because the only other option I see is trading it in and taking a massive hit and buying something else.

Thank you in advance.

2013 Compass
4x4

ScottLaFoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
Registered User
2011 MK Patriot 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Newfoundland, Center of the Universe
Posts: 878
I would say yes. Usually thats all that tow packages come with. Oil cooler, trailer wiring harness. Maybe tranny cooler. May void your warranty though as an add on.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
ScottLaFoy
Registered User
2013 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
I would say yes. Usually thats all that tow packages come with. Oil cooler, trailer wiring harness. Maybe tranny cooler. May void your warranty though as an add on.
Do you think it would void the warranty if I got the dealer to install with OEM parts?
ScottLaFoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
NHPATRIOT
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Exeter, NH
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottLaFoy View Post
Hello, we just bought a brand new 2013 Jeep Compass from the Rocky Mountain Dodge dealer. We spent all day test driving and discussing options with the sales people. Our first and only need going in was it had to be able to tow up to 2000 pounds. We didn't want something that would use up a lot of gas because it is a commuter during the week and it would pull the tent trailer, or sport bike trailer on the weekend. After assuring us repeatedly the vehicle could tow 2000 pounds we purchased it. 5000 km later and we go and look in the owners manual to see if they have the hitch part number so we can order the parts and install it, turns out that this Compass can only tow 1000 pounds. That is no where close to enough. So after some investigating I have found that some Compass's can tow 1000 and other can tow 2000 and they have the same engine and transmission. It seems that the only difference is the oil cooler is on the ones that can tow 2000.

My question is, if I install the oil cooler will I be able to tow 2000 pounds? I am going to go back to the dealer with any info I can gather here so I have some knowledge, because I do not trust the dealership one bit. I hope I can make this work because the only other option I see is trading it in and taking a massive hit and buying something else.

Thank you in advance.

2013 Compass
4x4
Get the MOPAR oil cooler kit and let the dealer install it( kind of a pain for a DIY'er anyway ). Should be approx. $300 installed( parts and labor ). Your warranty will be 100% safe if you use the MOPAR cooler installed by a dealer( takes away any opportunity for them to try and blame other parts and/or installation ). I had the dealer add the cooler to my Patriot at the time of purchase and my warranty is just fine. The cooler actually becomes a dealer installed MOPAR accessory and falls under the factory warranty or the one that comes with the part.

After that you can tow the max for the vehicle of 2000lbs. The oil cooler is the only thing on the vehicle that effects towing capacity. No difference in other areas like brakes or suspension. Just FYI however, 2000lbs is truly the MAX these vehicles can tow. I have towed right up to that limit a few times and it is about all the vehicle is capable of. My boat runs 1500-1700lbs depending on how it is rigged at the time and I would not want to tow more on a regular basis.

Go over that and your brakes will be inadequate and you will severely strain the drivetrain( especially in hilly areas ). 2000lbs is doable but it is truly the max. Also, remember to add all the weight of items in the cargo area and inside the trailer to the weight of the trailer for your final figure. It isn't just the trailer weight. If your trailer alone, or trailer and gear together, weighs 2000lbs don't load up the inside of the vehicle with another 500+lbs as well. You may not be "towing" it but it adds to the weight the vehicle has to stop and the drivetrain ahs to get moving.

Make sure you keep up with maintenance if you will tow a lot. Especially the CVT if you have that. Definitely go with the 60K service interval from the owner's manual if not sooner. It is the weak link in the drivetrain. Inspect your brakes regularly as well.
__________________
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Latitude
3.2L Pentastar V6
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
FujativeOCR
Registered User
2011 MK Patriot 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Newfoundland, Center of the Universe
Posts: 878
^that stuff
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil
 
Gramps's Avatar
2007 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Madison/Janesville, Wisconsin
Posts: 5,624
I installed my own oil cooler a long time ago. The factory kit was 'about' $100 or less. It's rater easy if you take the battery out. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/q...5/#post7067041
__________________
Bob

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
ScottLaFoy
Registered User
2013 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3
Thank you very much for your responses. I have the answers I was looking for. I will be able to tow my ultralite tent trailer with gear and come in at about 1100 plus people. We live next to the mountains and will be crossing them to head to the coast so I hope at this weight we should be OK. I will just make sure when I take the boat out we stay away from the mountains. I will definitely be more careful next time I deal with a dealership, and verify what they say is correct before leaving. I am really glad I can make this work.

Thanks again,
ScottLaFoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottLaFoy View Post
Thank you very much for your responses. I have the answers I was looking for. I will be able to tow my ultralite tent trailer with gear and come in at about 1100 plus people. We live next to the mountains and will be crossing them to head to the coast so I hope at this weight we should be OK. I will just make sure when I take the boat out we stay away from the mountains. I will definitely be more careful next time I deal with a dealership, and verify what they say is correct before leaving. I am really glad I can make this work.

Thanks again,
They told the truth about the tow limit if you had bought one with the tow package.Should have bought one with it instead of one without it.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.