JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Towing Capacity (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/towing-capacity-1555207/)

ScottLaFoy 07-29-2013 01:04 PM

Towing Capacity

Hello, we just bought a brand new 2013 Jeep Compass from the Rocky Mountain Dodge dealer. We spent all day test driving and discussing options with the sales people. Our first and only need going in was it had to be able to tow up to 2000 pounds. We didn't want something that would use up a lot of gas because it is a commuter during the week and it would pull the tent trailer, or sport bike trailer on the weekend. After assuring us repeatedly the vehicle could tow 2000 pounds we purchased it. 5000 km later and we go and look in the owners manual to see if they have the hitch part number so we can order the parts and install it, turns out that this Compass can only tow 1000 pounds. That is no where close to enough. So after some investigating I have found that some Compass's can tow 1000 and other can tow 2000 and they have the same engine and transmission. It seems that the only difference is the oil cooler is on the ones that can tow 2000.

My question is, if I install the oil cooler will I be able to tow 2000 pounds? I am going to go back to the dealer with any info I can gather here so I have some knowledge, because I do not trust the dealership one bit. I hope I can make this work because the only other option I see is trading it in and taking a massive hit and buying something else.

Thank you in advance.

2013 Compass
4x4

FujativeOCR 07-29-2013 01:16 PM

I would say yes. Usually thats all that tow packages come with. Oil cooler, trailer wiring harness. Maybe tranny cooler. May void your warranty though as an add on.

ScottLaFoy 07-29-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FujativeOCR (Post 15731883)
I would say yes. Usually thats all that tow packages come with. Oil cooler, trailer wiring harness. Maybe tranny cooler. May void your warranty though as an add on.

Do you think it would void the warranty if I got the dealer to install with OEM parts?

NHPATRIOT 07-29-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottLaFoy (Post 15731834)
Hello, we just bought a brand new 2013 Jeep Compass from the Rocky Mountain Dodge dealer. We spent all day test driving and discussing options with the sales people. Our first and only need going in was it had to be able to tow up to 2000 pounds. We didn't want something that would use up a lot of gas because it is a commuter during the week and it would pull the tent trailer, or sport bike trailer on the weekend. After assuring us repeatedly the vehicle could tow 2000 pounds we purchased it. 5000 km later and we go and look in the owners manual to see if they have the hitch part number so we can order the parts and install it, turns out that this Compass can only tow 1000 pounds. That is no where close to enough. So after some investigating I have found that some Compass's can tow 1000 and other can tow 2000 and they have the same engine and transmission. It seems that the only difference is the oil cooler is on the ones that can tow 2000.

My question is, if I install the oil cooler will I be able to tow 2000 pounds? I am going to go back to the dealer with any info I can gather here so I have some knowledge, because I do not trust the dealership one bit. I hope I can make this work because the only other option I see is trading it in and taking a massive hit and buying something else.

Thank you in advance.

2013 Compass
4x4

Get the MOPAR oil cooler kit and let the dealer install it( kind of a pain for a DIY'er anyway ). Should be approx. $300 installed( parts and labor ). Your warranty will be 100% safe if you use the MOPAR cooler installed by a dealer( takes away any opportunity for them to try and blame other parts and/or installation ). I had the dealer add the cooler to my Patriot at the time of purchase and my warranty is just fine. The cooler actually becomes a dealer installed MOPAR accessory and falls under the factory warranty or the one that comes with the part.

After that you can tow the max for the vehicle of 2000lbs. The oil cooler is the only thing on the vehicle that effects towing capacity. No difference in other areas like brakes or suspension. Just FYI however, 2000lbs is truly the MAX these vehicles can tow. I have towed right up to that limit a few times and it is about all the vehicle is capable of. My boat runs 1500-1700lbs depending on how it is rigged at the time and I would not want to tow more on a regular basis.

Go over that and your brakes will be inadequate and you will severely strain the drivetrain( especially in hilly areas ). 2000lbs is doable but it is truly the max. Also, remember to add all the weight of items in the cargo area and inside the trailer to the weight of the trailer for your final figure. It isn't just the trailer weight. If your trailer alone, or trailer and gear together, weighs 2000lbs don't load up the inside of the vehicle with another 500+lbs as well. You may not be "towing" it but it adds to the weight the vehicle has to stop and the drivetrain ahs to get moving.

Make sure you keep up with maintenance if you will tow a lot. Especially the CVT if you have that. Definitely go with the 60K service interval from the owner's manual if not sooner. It is the weak link in the drivetrain. Inspect your brakes regularly as well.

FujativeOCR 07-29-2013 03:18 PM

^that stuff

Gramps 07-30-2013 09:17 AM

I installed my own oil cooler a long time ago. The factory kit was 'about' $100 or less. It's rater easy if you take the battery out. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/q...5/#post7067041

ScottLaFoy 07-30-2013 10:07 AM

Thank you very much for your responses. I have the answers I was looking for. I will be able to tow my ultralite tent trailer with gear and come in at about 1100 plus people. We live next to the mountains and will be crossing them to head to the coast so I hope at this weight we should be OK. I will just make sure when I take the boat out we stay away from the mountains. I will definitely be more careful next time I deal with a dealership, and verify what they say is correct before leaving. I am really glad I can make this work.

Thanks again,

tjkj2002 07-30-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottLaFoy (Post 15735220)
Thank you very much for your responses. I have the answers I was looking for. I will be able to tow my ultralite tent trailer with gear and come in at about 1100 plus people. We live next to the mountains and will be crossing them to head to the coast so I hope at this weight we should be OK. I will just make sure when I take the boat out we stay away from the mountains. I will definitely be more careful next time I deal with a dealership, and verify what they say is correct before leaving. I am really glad I can make this work.

Thanks again,

They told the truth about the tow limit if you had bought one with the tow package.Should have bought one with it instead of one without it.

The time now is 08:50 PM.