JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Towing Capacity for 08 Patriot (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/towing-capacity-08-patriot-825722/)

ups4 07-27-2009 08:00 PM

Towing Capacity for 08 Patriot

My son is planning a move from South Florida to Canada later this month and wants to rent a small trailer to pack his few personal belongings.

He will have a queen sized bed, a 32" LCD TV, TV stand, and about 10-40lb boxes.

His Patriot is stock with no towing package. 2.4L engine and the CVT tranny. What chances does he have of making it with this set-up?

Paul

jeep95xj 07-27-2009 08:51 PM

Little to none. I wouldnt do it. Rent a real jeep pack it out and tow the patriot!

Gramps 07-28-2009 03:40 AM

That looks like only 600 lbs plus the weight of the trailer. Without the trailer prep package you're still way under the 1500 limit that Jeep rates your real Jeep at.

wesleyd 07-28-2009 08:50 AM

I tow a pop up tailer that weighs 1500lbs unloaded and close to 2000lbs loaded. I do have the tow group that I installed myself for under 300 bucks not including the hitch. As long as the combined weight of the trailer and furniture is under 1000lbs you will have no problems what so ever. Not sure how the oil cooler can add another 1000lbs capacity to the Jeep but the manual says it does so I installed it but I think I could probably still tow it without it, just wanted to keep my warranty valid. If you go to Jeep UK it allows for 1500kg (3000+LBS) for a braked trailer.
Good luck
Wes

ups4 07-28-2009 02:26 PM

Gramps,

Are you saying that the towing capacity of the Patriot w/o the tow pkg. is 1500lbs?

I'm thinking he's gonna be borderline here. And with such a long trip, it might be prudent to go a different route. I'd sure hate to get a call from him half way there saying the transmission blew up :facepalm:.

Thanks for the info.

Paul

wesleyd 07-28-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ups4 (Post 7660741)
Gramps,

Are you saying that the towing capacity of the Patriot w/o the tow pkg. is 1500lbs?

I'm thinking he's gonna be borderline here. And with such a long trip, it might be prudent to go a different route. I'd sure hate to get a call from him half way there saying the transmission blew up :facepalm:.

Thanks for the info.

Paul

My manual says 1000lbs without the tow package and 2000lbs with the tow package.
Hope that clears it up for you, if he is even near the 1000lbs mark just get him to install the oil cooler. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour and costs about 130 bucks from the dealer.

Gramps 07-28-2009 04:17 PM

Duh, you're right, 1000 lbs with out. I was thinking of the 1500 lb rating on a Class I hitch, sorry.

What is the weight of the trailer? Is it open or enclosed. You say 10 boxes @ 40 lbs each, that's 400 lbs. A 32" LCD doesn't weigh much. Even if we used the weight of my 64" that's only 100 lbs. Queen size bed, awkward but not really heavy, maybe 60 lbs? Does it have a headboard, foot board? I'll assume a frame of some kind.

Boxes, LCD and bed = 560 lbs.
Unknowns - Headboard, foot board and trailer? Over 440 lbs?

The route is also something to think about if it's getting close. Is he going threw the mountains or swinging over threw the Mississippi Valley? How much is the Patriot itself going to be loaded down?

I'll say if you have doubts then don't do it. You can rent a Uhaul truck with a car carrier and not worry about it.

Riotous 07-28-2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesleyd (Post 7661206)
My manual says 1000lbs without the tow package and 2000lbs with the tow package.
Hope that clears it up for you, if he is even near the 1000lbs mark just get him to install the oil cooler. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour and costs about 130 bucks from the dealer.

I went to build my own and do not see a "tow pkg." What is included in the tow pkg and how do you order it?

Gramps 07-28-2009 06:19 PM

My Jeep dealer told me that the Tow Package is now only available on the FD II. It consists of an Engine Oil Cooler and an uninstalled wiring harness.

Here is the Installation. There is also a link in the Quick Links in the Stickies.

ups4 07-28-2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gramps (Post 7661371)
I'll say if you have doubts then don't do it. You can rent a Uhaul truck with a car carrier and not worry about it.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree.
The unknown variables are what scares me. I'm gonna recommend that he doesn't use his Patriot to tow this time. Supposedly, you're not supposed to tow the Patriot unless all four wheels are off the ground.:(

Unfortunately he and his wife lost their teaching jobs down here, and she is from Canada and could go there and teach. They are strapped for money until then, so any mods or extra costs associated with the move would be prohibitive.

The queen mattress is the biggest problem with this move so I suggested he try and sell the mattress (it's brand new) and just buy a new one up there.
They should be able to get the rest of their stuff in the Jeep, or most of it anyway, and that would solve that problem.

We'll work it out. Thanks for all the suggestions and info. :thumbsup:

Paul

Gramps 07-28-2009 07:19 PM

You can flat tow a 5 speed but not a CVT. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/can-you-flat-tow-2007-compass-behind-rv-763562/

rusty57 08-09-2009 09:04 PM

The selling point for me was it would toe my Aliner at 950 lbs dry weight, maybe up to 1500 loaded with bedding grub and water. However I will be only be giving the CVT one more chance to last or it will be getting traded for a standard before the warrenty expires. Made it to Tofino and crapped out. Abandoned it at Port Alberni for 2 months waiting for a replacement transmission - non available. Pee matched for 6 months to get my money back --- looked like I was haveing a 20000 $ holiday for ahile that started on a 2000 $ budget.

Not exactly the performance I had hoped to lay my money down for. I ripped all over western Canada with the same Aliner behind a 2001 Neon.

Russ

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesleyd (Post 7661206)

rusty57 06-11-2010 08:05 AM

Well here goes again with my Patriot CVT!!! I am ready to go to an event in Texas from my home in Saskachewan and pull the Aliner. Same symptoms of trouble are back before I even hooked up. Intermittent loud growling, growling during turns and generally louder powertrain. No noticeable difference in RPM to speed yet which I clearly noted during the last failure. The dealer tells me its tire noise and my trailer loads should be no problem.

I am a lead mechanic at a major Caterpillar dealer. Oil sampling results are treated as gospel when finalizing before failure repairs. I cannot convince my dealer to do this service for my cvt transmission. They do not admit that Chrysler can do this. I know they can do and would be doing it in a heartbeat if it meant nailing me to the cross. Probably would do an oil analysis anyway after failure.

Russ

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty57 (Post 7727523)
The selling point for me was it would toe my Aliner at 950 lbs dry weight, maybe up to 1500 loaded with bedding grub and water. However I will be only be giving the CVT one more chance to last or it will be getting traded for a standard before the warrenty expires. Made it to Tofino and crapped out. Abandoned it at Port Alberni for 2 months waiting for a replacement transmission - non available. Pee matched for 6 months to get my money back --- looked like I was haveing a 20000 $ holiday for ahile that started on a 2000 $ budget.

Not exactly the performance I had hoped to lay my money down for. I ripped all over western Canada with the same Aliner behind a 2001 Neon.

Russ

The time now is 03:49 AM.