Tire Pressure Monitoring System Question - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Tire Pressure Monitoring System Question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #31
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budster View Post
Please help me with the part numbers for the tire sensors on my 2008 Rubicon. thanks,
It's your first post and you seem a little lost but we'll see if we can help you out. Go HERE and download yourself a free parts book in pdf format and you can look up about any part that you may need.

Of course you're always welcome to come in here and visit anytime but you could get faster help in the Wrangler Forums that you can find on the Home Page.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #32
OxyG3nE

so i read that i cant put aftermarket wheel because of the damn thing? there is no way to disable the tire pressure monitoring? and im also getting new winter tire this week.. i should go to jeep dealer to install them ? i wanted to go in a little garage near my house.. but im affraid now lol
OxyG3nE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2008, 04:38 AM   #33
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Some/many of the aftermarket wheels will take the sensor. You're not stuck with just the factory stuff. It depends on the manufacturer.

Unread 10-24-2008, 09:25 AM   #34
Autocar
2011 KJ Liberty 

My 08 patriot keeps turning on the light everytime the overnight temp goes below 32. First time it did it checked all tires with a guage & all were / are @ 36 lbs. Only have 900 miles so this will wait until the first service.
Autocar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2008, 09:58 AM   #35
deepnite10

my TPS light also came on when tire presure went down
to 32psi..just glad all the tire s were at the same or near
same psi s..32,32,32,33 psi respectively..
deepnite10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2008, 08:34 PM   #36
thecatsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibus View Post
The pressure on the door post is the correct pressure for the tire on your car. The number on the sidewall is the max pressure for the tire. Tires are supposed to be filled cold, once you start driving the tires will heat up and the pressure will soar exceeding the sidewall specification. You are putting yourself and those who travel with you at risk by doing this. Your tires will also wear poorly or prematurely, the slight mileage increase is not worth the risk.

Just my two cents......
I know this is an old post, but this is complete misinformation - and frankly dangerous advice.

The sidewall pressure on any tire is the maximum COLD tire inflation pressure. The manufacturer has already allowed for heat expansion of the tire.

Here's a quick test for anyone that wants to see how much tire pressure changes under heat. Check your TPMS readout when the vehicle has been parked all night. Then go drive for an hour. A little stop and some cornering will generate maximum heat - not highway driving. Watch the pressure change. If your tires are properly inflated, your pressure will change very little from parked cold to running hot.

The door sticker on your car is a recommended pressure for maximuym ride comfort. It has absolutely nothing to do with tire safety. It has to do with making the car ride as comfortable and luxurios as possible.

In contrast, the sidewall pressure is tested by the manufacturer to be the maximum recommended COLD inflation pressure. And rest assured, they put plenty of room for safety factor in that recommendation. All tires have been tested to show that they should be able to run for the full life of the tire at that pressure.

The higher your tire pressure (within the tire manufacturer's limit), the less rolling resistance it has - increasing fuel economy. It also reduces sidewall flex, increasing load capacity and cornering stability, also reduces dangerous sidewall roll should the tire corner at high speed. By reducing the sidewall flex, heat build up is significantly reduced. A low pressure tire will heat up significantly higher and faster than a high pressure tire. And running your tires low on air is far more dangerous than running them high. Higher pressures also decrease tread wear and increase the life of the tire.

The only benefit of running your tires at the posted pressure on the door is a comfy ride. You sacrifice tire life, fuel economy, load capacity and possibly even safety by not running at the higher pressure recommended by the manufacturer. Remember the Ford Explorer recall for tire blowouts? The problem was never the tire itself. The primary problem was the recommended inflation set by Ford. Ford paid far more in settlements than Firestone because of it. The tire in question was rated by Firestone for 42psi cold. Ford put a door sticker recommending 26 psi for a comfy ride. This caused too much sidewall flex, tire overheating, and sidewall roll - a very dangerous combination in a top heavy SUV. Both Ford and Firestone issude recalls. Fords was more extensive. And the Ford recall was nothing more than to replace the door sticker with a new one that recommended 34 psi tire pressure and to inflate all tires to that pressure.

IMPORTAN NOTE. When considering the load rating of your tires for hauling or towing, they are only capable of sustaining that load rating at the maximum sidewall inflation pressure. Any reduction in pressure reduces load capacity!

The best inflation pressure for any car is to run as close to the max sidewall pressure as possible without creating an uneven treadwear condition. This may take some experimentation on some cars.

Consider one last thing. When Jeep makes a car, they only know what tires will be put on at the factory, and even then they ofer some optional tires that are nonstandard (although the door sticker will be the same). How do they know that every set of tires you ever install will run best at the same pressure. Answer is, they don't. While they do place a recommended size and load range on the sticker as well, there is no way for Jeep to know the best inflation pressure for your next set of tires. Again, the ratig on the door is nothing more than a ride comfort setting.

And Yes, I so this for a living. I am an ASE certified mechanic with 22 years experience who manages a full service car care center. My store sold over 14,000 car tires last year and will break that number this year. So I have a little bit of time and experience invested in the tire business.
thecatsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2008, 08:55 PM   #37
jacko15
2014 WK 

Thanks thecatsfan...That was very informative. I hope members read and take your advice to heart. I'm very attentive to tire pressure on all my vehicles, even bicycles. Catastrophic tire failure can be devastating, I know, I've experienced it.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #38
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

More info on inflation. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.