Tire Pressure Monitoring System Question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Tire Pressure Monitoring System Question

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-21-2006, 07:03 PM   #16
mealso

OPERATION
On vehicles equipped with the premium TPM system, the Wireless Control Module (WCM), commonly referred to as the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM), uses transponders (trigger modules) located in three of the four wheel wells on the vehicle to provide it with the location of the tire pressure sensors on the vehicle. Like the base system, the WCM receives RF signals from all four rotating wheel speed sensors. When the WCM needs to know which sensor is located at a particular location on the vehicle, it directs the transponder at that location to send out a low frequency signal to excite the nearby sensor. The WCM then receives that excited signal and knows where that sensor is located. This auto-locating process only happens in the first 10 minutes of any WCM cycle while traveling at speeds above 20 mph (32 km/h). (The auto-locating process will start again only if the vehicle has been shut off for approximately 15 minutes or longer). Once the WCM has performed this to the three locations that have transponders, it uses the process-of-elimination theory to know that the fourth sensor ID signal is coming from

mealso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 07:38 AM   #17
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mealso
OPERATION
On vehicles equipped with the premium TPM system, the Wireless Control Module (WCM), commonly referred to as the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM), uses transponders (trigger modules) located in three of the four wheel wells on the vehicle to provide it with the location of the tire pressure sensors on the vehicle. Like the base system, the WCM receives RF signals from all four rotating wheel speed sensors. When the WCM needs to know which sensor is located at a particular location on the vehicle, it directs the transponder at that location to send out a low frequency signal to excite the nearby sensor. The WCM then receives that excited signal and knows where that sensor is located. This auto-locating process only happens in the first 10 minutes of any WCM cycle while traveling at speeds above 20 mph (32 km/h). (The auto-locating process will start again only if the vehicle has been shut off for approximately 15 minutes or longer). Once the WCM has performed this to the three locations that have transponders, it uses the process-of-elimination theory to know that the fourth sensor ID signal is coming from

Excellent, where did that come from?

Sounds like they've revised the system from what they first tried on the WJ.

Good news.

I still wonder what I'd have to do for another set of wheels for snow tires.

Kev
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 01:03 PM   #18
mealso

CAUTION
CAUTION: The use of tire sealants is strictly prohibited for vehicles equipped with the Tire Pressure Monitoring system. Tire sealants can clog tire pressure sensors.

CAUTION: Any time a sensor is to be installed in a wheel, it is necessary to install a new sensor-to-wheel seal, metal washer and valve stem nut, to ensure air tight sealing.

CAUTION: Tire pressure sensor valve stem caps and cores are specially designed for the sensors. Due to risk of corrosion, do not use a standard valve stem cap or core in a tire pressure sensor in place of the original equipment style sensor cap and core.

CAUTION: When installing the valve core, be sure to tighten the core to specifications (Refer to 22 - TIRES/WHEELS/WHEELS - SPECIFICATIONS). Overtightening by a little as three or four inch pounds can damage the sensor.

CAUTION: Do not attempt to install a tire pressure sensor in an aftermarket wheel. Use tire pressure sensors in original style factory wheels only. If aftermarket wheels are installed, and therefore do not contain tire pressure sensors, the system will not function properly and the driver will be continuously notified of a system malfunction.

NOTE: TPM thresholds have been established for the original tire size equipped on the vehicle. Use original size tires only to maintain system accuracy.
mealso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 02:25 PM   #19
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mealso

CAUTION: Do not attempt to install a tire pressure sensor in an aftermarket wheel. Use tire pressure sensors in original style factory wheels only. If aftermarket wheels are installed, and therefore do not contain tire pressure sensors, the system will not function properly and the driver will be continuously notified of a system malfunction.

There is an important point.

At least for now, NO TIRE RACK.

Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 04:28 PM   #20
Chomot
2000 WJ 

I have a quesiton.

Does anyone know the specs on the different part numbers of tire sensors avialible?

Chrylser offers three different sensor part numbers that I have found so far.

52088990AC
56053030AC
68001696AA

I know the 52088990AC works with the 2002 EVIC 56042756AF but what about the other two?

Also are there different presser settings avialble? I like to run my pressure at the number posted on the tire sidewall not the vehicle door post. In this case it is at 40 or so and I do not want over pressure alarms.

Thanks
Chomot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #21
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomot
Also are there different presser settings avialble? I like to run my pressure at the number posted on the tire sidewall not the vehicle door post. In this case it is at 40 or so and I do not want over pressure alarms.

Thanks

The pressure on the door post is the correct pressure for the tire on your car. The number on the sidewall is the max pressure for the tire. Tires are supposed to be filled cold, once you start driving the tires will heat up and the pressure will soar exceeding the sidewall specification. You are putting yourself and those who travel with you at risk by doing this. Your tires will also wear poorly or prematurely, the slight mileage increase is not worth the risk.

Just my two cents......
unibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #22
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomot
I have a question.

Does anyone know the specs on the different part numbers of tire sensors available?

Chrysler offers three different sensor part numbers that I have found so far.

52088990AC
56053030AC
68001696AA

I know the 52088990AC works with the 2002 EVIC 56042756AF but what about the other two?

Also are there different presser settings available? I like to run my pressure at the number posted on the tire sidewall not the vehicle door post. In this case it is at 40 or so and I do not want over pressure alarms.

Thanks
Those numbers are for the earlier Liberty's (2004) and Grand Cherokee (2002-2004) that take the large magnet to recalibrate them.

52088990AC is the early Libby and GC,
56053030AC is Dodge Charger (part of the Police Wheel package, maybe more)
68001696AA is the same and includes the nuts.

Totally different set up on the MK's and newer Liberty's:

The Mk's use sensor 56063 030AB and the Liberty's use sensor 56053 036AA. These are reprogrammed automatically somehow by comparing the revolutions between each tire and comparing it to the others. I'm not sure how, logarithms and stuff that are beyond me.

I'm not up to speed on the earlier systems but on the MK's there is no "over pressure limit", only low pressure warning, may be the same on the systems that you have the part numbers for. I don't believe that the latter sensors will work with the earlier EVIC used on those.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 05:56 PM   #23
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibus
The pressure on the door post is the correct pressure for the tire on your car. The number on the sidewall is the max pressure for the tire. Tires are supposed to be filled cold, once you start driving the tires will heat up and the pressure will soar exceeding the sidewall specification. You are putting yourself and those who travel with you at risk by doing this. Your tires will also wear poorly or prematurely, the slight mileage increase is not worth the risk.

Just my two cents......
I agree with you there! If you start off with your pressures at the upper limit you're not allowing for heat expansion. Even if you don't have a blow out your tires won't last as long. There's my , too.

Unread 07-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #24
Chomot
2000 WJ 

You know I did not realize that side wall pressure was the max, I just always assumed that it was the pressure the tire OEM specified for that tire when you were filling it. I figured since there are lots of different brands avialible in the size for my vehicle that they specify what their product requires.

I guess I will have to reconsider this now. Good advice.

So thanks for the EVIC responce but I am not sure I am clear.

Will sensor 56053030AC will work with the 2002 EVIC 56042756AF?

My goal is to have a PSI read out while driving that way I can verify it during operation.

Thanks
Chomot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 06:33 PM   #25
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I'm afraid that I can't answer that. The 56053030AC is Dodge and 56042756AF is a Jeep EVIC. You would need to find out if the Charger uses the large magnet for recalibration and then does Dodge and Jeep use the same frequency. The 52088990AC with the 2002 EVIC 56042756AF is a safe bet.

The 56053030AC and 68001696AA are also for steel wheels, the 52088990AC is for factory aluminum.

Unread 01-22-2008, 07:30 AM   #26
lanzelot
2007 MK Compass 

Tire rotation and tire monito

Hi guys,

I have a Jeep Compass 2007 Sport loaded...

Last week I did the schedule tire rotation and the tire monitor is giving me information of the tires but in the wrong position...

What should I do in order to get the right reading from the right tire in the right position?

Thank you very much!!!
lanzelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 08:08 AM   #27
lanzelot
2007 MK Compass 

Rotated but problems

I rotate my tires in my compass and the TPM give me the woring reading...

What should I do now?

thank you very much!
lanzelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 08:49 AM   #28
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I had the same problem on my first rotation, never did find a cure. I just kept a mental track of which one it was. The next rotation it went back to being correct, then I bought new tires before it was due again. It's post #46 over here. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/compass-owner-review-301347/

Unread 01-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #29
merlinTec

Hi
After a 4 hour stand (key out) it will do a relearn but it have to be driven above 25mph for about 10 minutes to do so.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 06-12-2008, 09:57 AM   #30
Budster
2011 WK 

Tire Sensors part # 2008 Jeep Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mealso View Post
OPERATION
Please help me with the part numbers for the tire sensors on my 2008 Rubicon. thanks,
Budster is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.