tire pressure monitor problem on Compass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > tire pressure monitor problem on Compass

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-12-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
jeepsternj
2008 MK Compass 

tire pressure monitor problem on Compass

I've had my Compass for about 2 weeks and everything is great. I love the car, but the tire pressure monitor light keeps coming on. I put air in the tires the first time it happened, but then the light came on again today so I'm thinking maybe it's faulty and I shouldn't put air in it again--just take it to the dealer. Has anyone else has this problem?

jeepsternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
merlinTec

Hi
I would check again make sure they are correct before you go as if they are too low or too high all the dealer will do is adjust and send you on your way when you could have a fault but the dealer puts it down to driver error. Where the pressures low last time? Wouldn’t want you to have to go back twice.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 05-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
OnRoad
2008 MK Compass 

If you have the Electronic Vehicle Information Center, you can check the values. If not, get out a tire pressure gauge and measure the tires both cold AND hot. The tire pressure can be 5 pounds higher when the tires are hot.
The pressure on the door jamb is usually the cold inflation pressure.

The sending unit on each tire is part of the valve assembly and has a battery in it. It is possible for there to be a low battery condition or a sensor that simply is faulty. I have not heard of anyone else having a problem with this however....
Unread 05-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
jeepsternj
2008 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec View Post
Hi
I would check again make sure they are correct before you go as if they are too low or too high all the dealer will do is adjust and send you on your way when you could have a fault but the dealer puts it down to driver error. Where the pressures low last time? Wouldn’t want you to have to go back twice.
Regards,
Merlin
Thanks Merlin. The pressure in one of the front tires was low last time so I put air in up to 36 psi. That was about a week ago. I don't know which tire is the low one because the display I have doesn't say, but I'm guessing it's the same tire. I went to the dealer today but the mechanics had all gone home. The salesman said he thinks maybe I have a nail in it and it's slowly leaking. So I have to go back on the weekend to have someone look at it.
Unread 05-15-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
Shirai_Ryu

If you have to add air more than once to the same tire in a short amount of time, bring it in & have it checked out, the Tire pressure Monitoring system from chysrler is very sensitive & should turn on the light if it reads any one tire 5psi+ low. Its not hard to lose 5psi, a small tempature drop can cause it, if you ive in an area where the outside tempature flucuates this light will likely be on alot.

I know alot of people that have had their tires inflated with Nitrogen to help stop the light from comming on everytyme the tempature changes.

Bottom line, if the light is on, look at your tires, make sure not flat, if not check the pressure when you have tyme, & if keeps reoccuring, bring it in to have it checked out.

Have had a very low failure rate with the Tire Pressure sensors/system, I highly doubt there is a problem with the system, especially on a two week old vehicle.
Shirai_Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
howdy246
2008 MK Compass 

Thats why they gone to putting nitrogen in the tires. Two different dealers told me about the pressure problems with just air in the tires.
howdy246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 06:11 AM   #7
OnRoad
2008 MK Compass 

Just air here and the light has never gone on. Of course once a month I have the car in for an oil change during the winter so ...
Unread 05-17-2008, 06:52 AM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Just air in mine too. Mine has gone off because of a quick drop in temperature and nails in the tires (3 times). That's it's purpose.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2008, 08:43 AM   #9
jeepsternj
2008 MK Compass 

I'm the original poster. The light went off for about 4 days and then came back on again yesterday. The weather was much cooler yesterday so maybe that's the problem. I checked the tire pressure when the tires were cold and got a reading of 30 on all the tires. The door jamb says it should be 32. After I'd been driving for about a half hour, I checked the pressure again and it was 36, but the light was still staying on. So I'm just going to take it in tomorrow and have it checked. I'm going away on a trip in a few days and will be gone for 2 weeks so I don't want to come home to a flat tire.
Unread 05-20-2008, 09:12 AM   #10
schoat333
2008 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsternj View Post
I'm the original poster. The light went off for about 4 days and then came back on again yesterday. The weather was much cooler yesterday so maybe that's the problem. I checked the tire pressure when the tires were cold and got a reading of 30 on all the tires. The door jamb says it should be 32. After I'd been driving for about a half hour, I checked the pressure again and it was 36, but the light was still staying on. So I'm just going to take it in tomorrow and have it checked. I'm going away on a trip in a few days and will be gone for 2 weeks so I don't want to come home to a flat tire.
if you dont see a nail in the tire that is low try putting some soapy water around the valve stem were it meets the rim. the valve stems actually have rubber gaskets and a nut that hold them in place since the sensor is attached. sometimes they leak if the arnt installed tight enough or even if they were tightened too much. if you put soapy water around them and it starts bubbling then you have a leak.

If not then it is very possibly that the quick change in temp was the problem. that did happen to me the first week i bought my patriot but has not happened since.
schoat333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2008, 12:26 PM   #11
jeepsternj
2008 MK Compass 

I'm the OP. I took the car in to get checked and the mechanic said the sensors on all 4 tires had to be reset so he did that and also put air in the tires. They seem to be fine now.
Unread 08-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #12
rchurch5454
2009 MK Compass 

2009 Compass

I just went to get my oil change the guy went to check the air and cracked the stem column to the tire pressure sensor which resulted in the tire pressure light coming on. Air was hissing out of it, and of course they claimed it was leaking when I went in for the oil change. The guy was completely lying to my face because the tire pressure light wasn't on going into the place and there definitely was no air hissing out of the tire. I brought the car immediately to the dealer by the time I got there the tire was pretty much flat. The dealer had to replace both sensors on the passenger side and a tire. Apparently they have had a lot problems with people forcing the caps off the valves and cracking the column. I would say if your tire pressure light is going off or if you are having problems getting the tire caps off bring it back immediately to the dealer. Better to be safe than sorry.
rchurch5454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 06:30 AM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

This has come up in several forums. Make sure that your valve stem caps are PLASTIC and not metal! The metal ones will seize/rust on and break the stem.

Unread 08-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #14
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
This has come up in several forums. Make sure that your valve stem caps are PLASTIC and not metal! The metal ones will seize/rust on and break the stem.
To add to this it must be the correct plastic caps too. If you look down the cap of your new one you will see it has a rubber seal at the end, this is to stop water entering the valve. Other caps from rubber valves don't have a seal in the end and there has been issues getting warranty on a valve with the incorrect cap on it.
Unread 08-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #15
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Thanks! I hadn't noticed that.

Tags
compass , mk , patriot , tire pressure , tpms

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.