Tire Pressure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Tire Pressure

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-30-2007, 07:01 AM   #1
Gav'spurplez

Tire Pressure

OK,
so my g/f purchased a patriot and it came with the smaller 16 " wheels. well one of the add-ons from the dealer that we got in the deal were the 17" wheels and white lettered tires. i have noticed her outer tread starting to get feather a bit. 2 tires were at 30.5 and 2 tires were at 31.5.

since the jeep was built with the smaller tires, that is the "pla-card" on the inside of the door. 35 psi per tire, but that's for the 16s.

can someone tell me what the 17" white lettered tires should be set at ??

thanks

1999 Wrangler Sport - SOLD
2009 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
Gav'spurplez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2007, 07:38 AM   #2
TeHpWNaG3
2007 MK Patriot 

It all relative...

...to her driving style. I wouldn't let them get below 35psi or the ride becomes too mushy in the turns. I experimented with different pressures and found that 30psi, while being very comfortable taking road bumps, made the Patriot feel boat-like switching lanes and such. You don't want that feeling in an SUV!

I run them at 40psi. I get a few more miles to a tank-full and the cornering is much improved. Ride quality suffers just a tad, but I think the trade-off is more than worth it. The contact patch at 40psi is still rather large, as is the "radial bulge".
TeHpWNaG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2007, 08:25 AM   #3
Gav'spurplez

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeHpWNaG3
...to her driving style. I wouldn't let them get below 35psi or the ride becomes too mushy in the turns. I experimented with different pressures and found that 30psi, while being very comfortable taking road bumps, made the Patriot feel boat-like switching lanes and such. You don't want that feeling in an SUV!

I run them at 40psi. I get a few more miles to a tank-full and the cornering is much improved. Ride quality suffers just a tad, but I think the trade-off is more than worth it. The contact patch at 40psi is still rather large, as is the "radial bulge".
how many miles do you have on yours ?? at 40 psi, do you see any " more than normal" wear in the middle of the tread pattern ??

i bumped her up to 34 psi before she left and i guess i'll re check at the end of the week. BUT she drives "normally" she definitely does not hot rod around, or take corners at 80 mph.

so, i guess we'll see
thanks
Unread 10-30-2007, 09:35 AM   #4
TeHpWNaG3
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav'spurplez
how many miles do you have on yours ?? at 40 psi, do you see any " more than normal" wear in the middle of the tread pattern ??

i bumped her up to 34 psi before she left and i guess i'll re check at the end of the week. BUT she drives "normally" she definitely does not hot rod around, or take corners at 80 mph.
First off, unless the wheel camber is incorrectly adjusted or other extemporaneous circumstances are in play, the outside tread removal is evidence of pressures too low for "safe driving". Other variables need to be considered, but this IS a brand new vehicle.

I have just over 3,000 miles put on it. As I said, the contact patch at 40psi is still rather large and I have not noticed any unusual tread wear so far. My Stratus R/T has low-profile high-performance tires that tend to crown with higher pressure, but the off-road tires on my Patriot do not seem as susceptible to this phenomenon (most likely due to higher volume). Visually, it's tough to tell the difference between 35psi & 40psi. Driving them definitely tells the tale. 44psi (max spec) was a little too jittery in straight-line driving and I could feel Lincoln's beard when driving over a penny.

I do not beat on it in the turns or otherwise--because I know this isn't a sports car. I don't mind the "truck-like" feel of higher pressures (road noise, bumps, etc.). If it feels good for her to run 34-35psi, I say go for it. But I have to emphasize that running anything lower than that will degrade your fuel economy (not so much) and handling characteristics (much more so). Try 38-40 psi. You can always reduce the pressure if she feels it is too harsh. The change could be so subtle that she wouldn't even notice, but I certainly did! The fuel savings alone should be enough incentive to give it a try.

One other thought... make sure your gauge is accurate. I am big into mountain biking, where tire pressure is a HUGE deal. I use a very high-quality pressure gauge. The on-board gauge for most gas station compressors are terrible. I had a reading of 55psi at my local fill station when it was actually 35psi. So, make sure this isn't a contributing factor to premature tire wear.
TeHpWNaG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2007, 10:19 AM   #5
Gav'spurplez

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeHpWNaG3
First off, unless the wheel camber is incorrectly adjusted or other extemporaneous circumstances are in play, the outside tread removal is evidence of pressures too low for "safe driving". Other variables need to be considered, but this IS a brand new vehicle.

I have just over 3,000 miles put on it. As I said, the contact patch at 40psi is still rather large and I have not noticed any unusual tread wear so far. My Stratus R/T has low-profile high-performance tires that tend to crown with higher pressure, but the off-road tires on my Patriot do not seem as susceptible to this phenomenon (most likely due to higher volume). Visually, it's tough to tell the difference between 35psi & 40psi. Driving them definitely tells the tale. 44psi (max spec) was a little too jittery in straight-line driving and I could feel Lincoln's beard when driving over a penny.

I do not beat on it in the turns or otherwise--because I know this isn't a sports car. I don't mind the "truck-like" feel of higher pressures (road noise, bumps, etc.). If it feels good for her to run 34-35psi, I say go for it. But I have to emphasize that running anything lower than that will degrade your fuel economy (not so much) and handling characteristics (much more so). Try 38-40 psi. You can always reduce the pressure if she feels it is too harsh. The change could be so subtle that she wouldn't even notice, but I certainly did! The fuel savings alone should be enough incentive to give it a try.

One other thought... make sure your gauge is accurate. I am big into mountain biking, where tire pressure is a HUGE deal. I use a very high-quality pressure gauge. The on-board gauge for most gas station compressors are terrible. I had a reading of 55psi at my local fill station when it was actually 35psi. So, make sure this isn't a contributing factor to premature tire wear.
thanks for the info, when i see the patriot here at my house ( where all the tools and resources are ) i'll be sure to bump up the tires to about 38 and see if she says anything from there. she's not one to really notice stuff like that and i really have not driven it, sooooooooooooo

thanks again for your info and experiences,
Unread 04-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
somers
2010 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav'spurplez View Post

so, i guess we'll see
thanks
I run my Patriot tires 215 / 60 /17 at 40 psi because the web page of Continental says 40 for around town and 35 for the highway.
35 could eat away at the side walls.
When using a pencil tire pressure device with the sliding bar always hold the device in the vertical plane so that the slider traverses up
holding the device in the horizontal plane may give incorrect readings.
You all know that tires should be cold for the readings to be correct and the vehicle should be on level ground and not out on the Rubicon in the middle of winter.

Last edited by somers; 04-10-2012 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: more information
somers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
somers
2010 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeHpWNaG3 View Post

I run my patriot at 40 PSI ....... 215 / 60 / 17 which is a little harsh as you say but at least i am not riding up on the side walls because i went on the tire manufacturers web page who said 40 for city and 35 highway i droped the pressure to 38 for a few hours the ride was the same i am not on the highway doing 70 mph.
i chewed up the tire side walls a little on my RAV 4 because of under inflation that information which i got from the vehicle book.

Last edited by somers; 04-10-2012 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: Correction of numbers reversal.
Unread 04-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
somers
2010 MK Patriot 

Some manufacturers will bump the tire pressure up beyond that which is recommended on the door jam sticker because it is not know how long the vehicle will sit on the dealers lot.

Do check you tires before you take delivery .

i took delivery of a sports car and found the the tires were up to 50 PSI+/- the car virtually had no rolling resistance.

Buyer be ware !
Unread 05-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #9
somers
2010 MK Patriot 

If you are interested to see if the correct amount of tread is meeting the road and you are not chewing up the tire where the side wall meet the tread , take a piece of chalk and run it across all the tires take your car for a drive you will soon see if you are riding on the tread , you can do the same trick using a tire protestant on the sidewalls
over or under inflation can have an adverse cracking affect in time on the side walls
Unread 05-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
somers
2010 MK Patriot 

With respect to tire pressure i have finally decided on 38 psi for my Patriot tires this directly relates yo the slow driving condition that exist in my country , however may i strongly suggest that you check you tire pressure on a weekly basis and do not forget your life saving the spare which can go for 30 days or so .
I use a paint can opener to pick the debris out of the tire tread.

My thoughts
I do not recomend that you let you tires go beloe36 PSI or excede 40 psi for in town driving .
On the highway 36 psi is good as the vehicle experiances aero dynamic lift at highway speeds.

If you pick up a nail etc deal with it imediately and change the wheel out.
Never ever let a gas station jockey inflate your tires. do it your self.
HINT
Check your engine oil level to marks often.

A clean vehicle is a happy vehicle.
Unread 05-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
ODubhGhaill
2014 MK Patriot 

Factory recommended tire pressure for my wife's 2014 Patriot with Firestone Affinities is 32psi, while my FDII with Goodyear Wrangler SR-A is 35psi. I would suggest keeping the pressure at the factory or tire manufacturer's specs. Be aware of the pressure changes occurring due to temperature - 35psi at 55 degrees F jumps to near 38psi at around 75psi, both measurements taken "cold." Winter is really difficult to judge, when one day is -15F and the next is mid to upper 30sF. A good pressure gauge is crucial.
ODubhGhaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2014, 09:36 AM   #12
somers
2010 MK Patriot 

I can not over stress the importants of maintaining the correct tire pressure which depends on many factors with respect to location and driving conditions in you area the are limitation and tis depends on your selection of tire.
i am a litt;e disapointed that JEEP did not develop the wheel well and arches to suit a wide variety of tire shapes and styles after all yhe apatriot is a jeep and we all know what jeeps do after the end of a hard days at the office.
Unread 05-31-2014, 06:23 PM   #13
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by somers View Post
I can not over stress the importants of maintaining the correct tire pressure which depends on many factors with respect to location and driving conditions in you area the are limitation and tis depends on your selection of tire.
i am a litt;e disapointed that JEEP did not develop the wheel well and arches to suit a wide variety of tire shapes and styles after all yhe apatriot is a jeep and we all know what jeeps do after the end of a hard days at the office.
FIAT is the answer. Jeep wrote the book. Fiat did not read it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.