Tire Brands - What's Good-What To Avoid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Tire Brands - What's Good-What To Avoid

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
mrsticklmyer

Tire Brands - What's Good-What To Avoid

Okay, I'm going to go ahead and purchase an entire new set of 17" tires for my 2007 Jeep Compass. The ones I have on there now are pretty worn at less than 50,000. I don't know anything about tires. I'm at the tire dealer's mercy. Is there anything I should know before purchasing these tires? Which brands have you had the most luck with? Which brands should I totally avoid? I've been hearing bad things about firestone brand so I'm going to avoid those. The guy at Discount Tires showed me some Goodyear or Dunlap tires that he clamed were supposed to last 85,000 miles. But, I've read on some other sites that most tires don't usually last as long as the companies claim.

I live in Michigan so I defintately need all-weather tires. I don't do any off-road traveling. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

mrsticklmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

You can get ratings for tires in your size by looking at tirerack.com and plug in the size you want. Some MK owners are very happy with Hankook Optimo H727 and I personally have Cooper CS4 "T" tires in 215/65/17 for our Patriot and they are quiet and have good tread wear so far but tirerack.com does not sell or rate them.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Add me to the anti-firestone list. They sold me a set for my previous Volvo that I later found out were'nt load rated for the 3,700 lb car, and developed Radial Pull. The letters H and S stand out in my memory...but they sold me one when I needed the other. They lasted less than 10k.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Busmaster2

Prior to getting my compass I wouldn't have considered firestones. However with almost 10,000 miles on the compass i'm doing pretty well with the oem firestones. I did have one replaced undet warranty. The replacement tire has a 70,000 milr warranty so I think i'll stick with them. Besides, nyc streets tear up anything short of bulletproof mil spec rubber.
Busmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I wouldn't rule out a manufacturer bc of a bad experience with a tire shops incompetence. Remember too that all manufacturers have 'good, better and best' tires. There is little comparison between GY Wrangler SR-As and Wrangler Silent Armour or between Firestone Firehawks and Destination A/Ts. The Tire Rack and 1010tires have good comparison charts and some local brands are worth considering.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
oldlongbeard

Try Nokians

I have had Nokian Tyres on a few vehicles now, and wouldn't have anything else on my vehicles while I still live in Michigan. I don't have a Jeep yet, though.

Regards,
Greg
oldlongbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 03:45 AM   #7
ddavidv
2008 MK Patriot 

+1 on using Tire Rack's online catalog and reading the reviews. You can't choose or dismiss a brand based on one model of tire; each tire company may make several models of tires in a particular size. Some will be good, some won't. Some will be better suited for your specific driving needs, others won't. Don't get hung up on brand. Michelin makes some good tires but they are astronomically more expensive than many other brands that will be rated just as good.

Suggested mileages are fairly useless unless you study further. Treadwear rating is more important, but the single most significant thing to getting tires to last as long as possible is regular rotation. I've driven fleet vehicles for years, and they do required rotations I believe every 10,000 miles. I've gotten amazing life out of some tires that had poor reputations for long life simply because of this. Few people take the time or expense to do regular rotations and it's costing them in the long term.
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
bigkat91
2011 MK Compass 

Ive gotten 28734 miles on the O.E. good year wrangler sr-a, even with 8k rotations im down to 3/32" right now. Looking to get new tires here in a few weeks.
bigkat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
ram2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
Add me to the anti-firestone list. They sold me a set for my previous Volvo that I later found out were'nt load rated for the 3,700 lb car, and developed Radial Pull. The letters H and S stand out in my memory...but they sold me one when I needed the other. They lasted less than 10k.

H and S are speed ratings for tires (what sustained maximum speed they are designed for).
ram2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

Good timing on this topic - my stock original tires are getting a bit worn at 55,000 miles. I recently had them evaluated and they're probably good for another 10-20K miles, but I'm starting to look into replacements.

Question about the replacements: if we get the tires replaced at a non-Jeep place, will the tire pressure sensors still function properly? Or do we need to take them back to a dealership to have them recalibrated or set up?
WingedScapula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedScapula View Post
Good timing on this topic - my stock original tires are getting a bit worn at 55,000 miles. I recently had them evaluated and they're probably good for another 10-20K miles, but I'm starting to look into replacements.

Question about the replacements: if we get the tires replaced at a non-Jeep place, will the tire pressure sensors still function properly? Or do we need to take them back to a dealership to have them recalibrated or set up?
No as long as they know how to set them up there the same idea for all Pressure sensors no matter teh brand
33" BFGodrich KM2's | Ion Alloy 174 Rims | 4.5 Rubicon Express Lift | Currie adjustable control Arms | Advanced Adaptors SYE | Tom woods rear CV diveshaft | 4.0L I-6 Engine | NV231 Command-Trac Transfer case | Dana 30 w/ Aussie Locker | Dana 35c Rear w/ Trac-Lok Limited slip | 3.73 | ORO LED Tail lights | JKS Adjustable Trackbars and Quicker Disconnects | Black Magic Brakes | ZJ V8 Tie rod Upgrade | Uniden 520XL CB/PA system

[B]My Build Thread:[/B]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2003-wrangler-sport-4-5-re-lift-33-bfg-km2s-never-ending-wish-list-1312377/"]Click Here[/URL]

[B]Some of my Favorite Sites:[/B]
[URL="http://www.4x4xplor.com/mods-TJ.html/"]4x4xplor.com[/URL]
[URL="]http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp/"]stu-offroad.com[/URL]
[URL="http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/"]Quadratec Knowledge Base[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]TJ tech bootcamp[/URL]

[B]Ask about my Custom Vinyl Decals![/B]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/new-vendor-custom-vinyl-decals-1385910//"]Click Here[/URL]
jeepinjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:35 AM   #12
ddavidv
2008 MK Patriot 

Tire brand won't matter. They measure pressure, which will be the same regardless of tire. A good 20 minute highway drive should reset them if necessary.
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The sensors are 'tuned' to the computer at the factory and as long as you don't change them they will reset. I changed my wheels, tires and went with another set of aftermarket sensors and they are not calibrating so I will need to take mine in to have a service performed to make them calibrate correctly but that's only because I changed all of them.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

Great, thanks all for the info! Time to start looking around...
WingedScapula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
DougE
1983 CJ7 

Avoid Firestone: twice in my lifetime they have produced a faulty tire line and have failed to stand behind them.
Avoid Bridgestone: they own Firestone so probably make their tires in the same plants.
Avoid Dunlop: did not get adequate service before one failed on my Suzuki Sidekick.
Buy Goodyear, Pirelli, Michelin, B F Goodrich, Toyo: all have given me exceptional service.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.