Ticking sound coming from under steering column - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Ticking sound coming from under steering column

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-16-2006, 07:29 AM   #1
phil8400

Ticking sound coming from under steering column

I mentioned this is a previous post, but I had thought the ticking noise was only happening when steering. The noise is getting worse and more frequent.

So, now...

I get a "tick" sound coming from under the steering column (or driver's foot well area) when I accelerate or decelerate. The noise doesn't seem to be coming from the actual pedals. When accelerating, the ticking noise seems to happen mostly from complete stops, but during normal driving as well. Decelerating or breaking also causes the noise.

Any ideas? Anyone else? I'll bring it in for servicing, but it will be a few days before I can.

phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2006, 08:13 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Phil,

Does the Tick change speed (faster/slower) as the Compass does? I really haven't a clue, just digging for more info.

Gramps
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2006, 08:52 AM   #3
phil8400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Phil,

Does the Tick change speed (faster/slower) as the Compass does? I really haven't a clue, just digging for more info.

Gramps
Nope. It just "ticks", then stops. Sometimes, I might get two ticks back to back.
Unread 11-16-2006, 09:00 AM   #4
jetjane

Hi...this might sound silly but are you sure it isn't your keychain that is making that noise? I heard the same thing one day and my keychain hitting the steering column was the culprit.
jetjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2006, 09:35 AM   #5
phil8400

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjane
Hi...this might sound silly but are you sure it isn't your keychain that is making that noise? I heard the same thing one day and my keychain hitting the steering column was the culprit.
Not silly at all. I thought about that the other day and drove while holding on to it...wasn't that.

I'm beginning to think that it could be the speedometer cable?? I don't know how or why, but it would be inline with the accelerating and decelerating aspect of it. You know how if you push back hard against your seat and you hear a slight tick or sound?...well it sounds like that, but coming from under the dash in the driver's area. It almost sounds like static... tick, tick!
Unread 11-16-2006, 10:21 AM   #6
Kev M
2012 WK 

Speedo CABLE?

Who uses cables anymore?????

I think most everything has been electronic for a decade or more.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2006, 11:59 AM   #7
phil8400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M
Speedo CABLE?

Who uses cables anymore?????

I think most everything has been electronic for a decade or more.
lol. Well, when it comes to cars...
Unread 11-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #8
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8400
lol. Well, when it comes to cars...

Uh yeah, when it comes to cars and trucks (and some bikes, like Harleys since the mid 90s, though some other bike manufacturers are lagging behind due to less sophisticated fuel systems).

I'm sure there are exceptions, but Vehicle Speed is an input used by pretty much all modern fuel injection systems, and that signal TENDS to come from a transmission mounted Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS), negating the need for a speedo cable.

I obviously haven't crawled under a Compass yet, but I don't recall ever coming across a cable on my 98 XJ or my SILs early 90's Wrangler, though I could have missed/forgotten something.

Still, I'd lay dollars to donuts there are no cables on th Compass or almost any other car or truck for the past decade or so.

Kev
Unread 11-16-2006, 05:04 PM   #9
phil8400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M
Uh yeah, when it comes to cars and trucks (and some bikes, like Harleys since the mid 90s, though some other bike manufacturers are lagging behind due to less sophisticated fuel systems).

I'm sure there are exceptions, but Vehicle Speed is an input used by pretty much all modern fuel injection systems, and that signal TENDS to come from a transmission mounted Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS), negating the need for a speedo cable.

I obviously haven't crawled under a Compass yet, but I don't recall ever coming across a cable on my 98 XJ or my SILs early 90's Wrangler, though I could have missed/forgotten something.

Still, I'd lay dollars to donuts there are no cables on th Compass or almost any other car or truck for the past decade or so.

Kev
What I meant is that I'm 100% clueless.
Unread 11-16-2006, 06:08 PM   #10
Kev M
2012 WK 

LOL, as am I in this case.

I do know that one of my business partners recently had a noise coming from the instrument cluster of his Suburban (out of warranty) and it required a new instrument cluster to fix.

I'd say you should try to pinpoint the location of the noise.

If it is pretty darn consistent or constant then at least you can demonstrate it to the service advisor.

Good luck my friend.

Kev
Unread 11-16-2006, 07:30 PM   #11
SlimGoaty
1997 XJ Cherokee 

crazy thing to say but how about a rock stuck in the tread?

My buildup on CherokeeForum

97 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231, RE 5.5, Tom Woods DS, AA SYE, 35x12.50 KM2,
Upgraded Harness, PIAA bulbs, Rustys Tie-Rod, L&L Fab bumper,
Quadratec 9500i Winch, Aussie locker, 4.88's
SlimGoaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2006, 07:54 PM   #12
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

More craziness.

Remember the "walnut on the steering shaft" story of mine? Well, I'm sure that you have squirrels up there, maybe they stashed a nut, ear of corn or who knows what up on the back side of the engine block that only "rocks" back and forth but won't dislodge,or maybe a rock, or maybe the factory "lost" a bolt in that area, or maybe a bad engine mount? When you take it in for service have them look for anything strange like that when it's up on the rack.

At my next service I'm taking my camera along to get some shots of the under carriage. Jeez, 3 more weeks and I'll be at 9K!

In S.Oregon the critters liked to chew the insulation on the wiring. Someone would try and start their car after work and the battery cable or something else would be almost chewed through. They're cute but pesky at times.

Gramps
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2006, 06:51 PM   #13
jvet4

I have heard a similar ticking noise and have not had a chance to pinpoint it. It seems to be there when I am making a hard turn (say into a parking spot) but it is tough to determing the source well driving.
jvet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2006, 12:08 AM   #14
decimon

A possibility is valve stems slapping against wheels or wheel covers. Very sneaky problem.

Just see that the stems are centered in their holes and that there are not wear marks on the sides of the stems.
decimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2006, 01:06 PM   #15
phil8400

A better explanation...

Ticking noise coming from the driver's side near the floor or around the near the steering column. I hear the sound when the Compass rocks forward and backward from letting off the gas and then accelerating again. It always happens when that motion is made in the car. I can go over a big bump and not hear the clicking noise, but as soon as I let off the gas, there it is.
The perfect word to describe the sound is a "clicking" noise.

Also...
My driver's window also rattles when driving over small or large bumps. It seems to be coming from the window seals.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.