Thoughts On Gas Mileage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Thoughts On Gas Mileage

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-08-2010, 02:27 AM   #1
Lafaso870

Thoughts On Gas Mileage

Using the EVIC history and the equivalent history on the Pathfinder + plus just eyeballing the tachs, I have noticed that:

2007 Patriot Limited 2.4L w/FDII at 100kmh tachs at 3000 rpm
2010 Pathfinder LE 4.0L 6 speed auto at 100kmh tachs at 2000 rpm

Patriot's EVIC reports average gas mileage of 11.5 litres per 100km of travel
Pathfinder's equiv reports gas mileage of 12.2 litres per 100km of travel

Travel type for each vehicle is both city and highway combined.

With *virtually* double displacement of the Pathfinder mill, the additional gasoline burden with the Pathfinder is less than 1 litre per 100km.

The 6 cyl mill obvious works less hard but what does this say about the gas mileage for an FDII? Either the mileage for Patriot is abysmal or the Pathfinder's mileage is incredible.

Another detail to mention is the Pathfinder requires premium fuel (91) or about 13 cents per litre over regular unleaded (87).

Thoughts?

Lafaso870 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 05:51 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Patriot about 20.5 mpg. It doesn't sound too bad but I wonder what the other FD II folks are getting? Do you use/need the off-road capabilities at all? Maybe the FD I would have been a better choice. I'm getting about 24/25 mpg any more (9.4 - 9.8 litres/100km) and 62 mph (about 100 kph)is about 2100 rpm.

Pathfinder about 19.3 mpg. Is this a 4X4? More towing capacity and room and maybe a higher initial cost and higher cost per mile because of the premium fuel.

Two really different vehicles with different capabilities. I'm just not sure if it's a fair comparison for gas mileage alone.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Very curious to know if that mileage is observed in the 4x4 or 4x2 for the Pathfinder...
Unread 10-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

Our Cherokee usually takes more than 12 L per 100 km while the EVIC often shows 7.8 L per 100 km for highway driving with our FD1 Patriot with the 5 speed MT. I figure 30 mpg for the Patriot compared to 20 mpg for the Cherokee.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
willard
2007 MK Patriot 

My money is on the transmissions, and maybe wheel size.
willard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 01:22 AM   #6
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

It seems that the FDII's lower gearing really starts to hurt its fuel economy at high speeds. When you've reached the highest gearing available, the only way to go faster is to spin the engine faster...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafaso870 View Post
With *virtually* double displacement of the Pathfinder mill, the additional gasoline burden with the Pathfinder is less than 1 litre per 100km.
You can't look at fuel economy strictly as a function of engine displacement. The laws of physics state that in order to move an X kg vehicle, Y joules of energy must be used. A larger displacement engine that is able to put out the needed amount of energy with lower RPM may indeed be more economical than a smaller engine that needs to be revved way up. On the other hand, it eats up more fuel when just idling, so during conditions where both engines can keep a low RPM, the smaller one wins the fuel economy contest. And of course, when you compare two totally different vehicles, there are a whole host of variables. Driving conditions, tires, driving style variances, etc. etc. can all enter into it.

All that said, it does appear that especially with the FDII, the best fuel economy is achieved with slower speeds. I've noticed the same with my FDI - the lowest fuel consumption I get is consistently during conditions when I must keep my driving speed around 80km/h. And with the overall lower gearing of the FDII, there should be an even more pronounced difference between the fuel economy during lower speed and high speed driving.
Unread 10-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

My 2007 compass 2wd (CVT) has consumed 2022 gallons of gas since purchase.
It's mileage for that fuel has been 23.13 mpg.
unibus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #8
willard
2007 MK Patriot 

I'm just saying that if you change your wheel size and/or composision, you're going to change your MPG
willard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2010, 04:56 AM   #9
lidhead
2009 MK Compass 

I get 27 MPG consistently on my 09 Compass Ralleye 5 spd 4x4. It goes down to 25 MPG in the winter time.
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

I was amazed at the mileage numbers our U.K. owners seem to get. I recently found out that they use Imperial Gallons (about 20% larger than U.S. Gallons) in the U.K.. Years ago Imperial Gallons were used in Canada and I believe Canadian Dealers have no problem quoting gas mileage numbers with the non-existant size gallon because it sounds a lot better than the numbers with U.S. gallons. I would get about 36 miles to the Imperial Gallon if there was such a thing.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #11
bseblfrk09
2013 JK Wrangler 

In my 2008 compass FWD I average about 30 mpg's. I travel long distances though. I bet I will get better on
Y road trips when I get some taller tires on it.
bseblfrk09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fd ii , mileage , mpg , patriot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.