Things to look for on a used patriot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Things to look for on a used patriot

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 08-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
boon4376
2013 JK Wrangler 

Things to look for on a used patriot

So My buddy's XJ has over 200,000 miles on it, death wobble, over heats in traffic, transmission makes weird noises, valves are ticking hard...

Time to get a new jeep! I'm I'm having a really hard time convincing him he should get a patriot! Wants an older liberty, but from a reliability stand point the patriot would be more better eh? And TCS is better than open diffs right (for off roading)?... And then theres the crash test where Liberty is marginal and the patriot is "good" (with side impact airbags).. + Stability control for the winter.

Its a no brainer to me...

I have found a 4x4 5 Speed MT patriot for $9500 and it has 75,000 miles on it... What are particular things we should make sure to check out?

How are these things holding up in terms of reliability? I would think the GEMA engine is relatively bullet proof and I'd think the 5 Speed would have much better longevity compared to the CVT.. But are they good?

What is the warranty for the second owner? 5 year 100k still? or is that only for the first owner?

What are troubled spots to look for?

boon4376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 12:11 AM   #2
troys96xj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldn't reccomend buying one.I have a 2007 that I bought new and have had the entire front end replaced.I have never offroaded it,allways on the road.I just had the ball joints,inner and outer tie rods replaced,control arms,hub units and the list goes on.They did $2500 work on it over the forth of july weekend.I'm getting rid of it as soon as I can.It only has 32,000 on it.I can't afford to dump $2,500 into it every2 or so years.Thats why I got rid of my Neon.I replaced the front on it 4xs in 6 years and it seems the Patty is going to be no different.Good luck to you if you get one.
troys96xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

Our 5 speed 4X4 Patriot has 55k miles on it and no issues so far. It is awesome in the snow and icy roads. The engine and tranny seem reliable but the suspension has been a problem area for some owners. Aftermarket parts like Moog are recommended over the factory parts.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
richcz28
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Might as well get a new one at that price. They start at 17k, but theres always like 1500 cash back on them or something. Getting a lifetime power warranty is a good bonus to buying new also.
richcz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troys96xj View Post
I wouldn't reccomend buying one.I have a 2007 that I bought new and have had the entire front end replaced.I have never offroaded it,allways on the road.I just had the ball joints,inner and outer tie rods replaced,control arms,hub units and the list goes on.They did $2500 work on it over the forth of july weekend.I'm getting rid of it as soon as I can.It only has 32,000 on it.I can't afford to dump $2,500 into it every2 or so years.Thats why I got rid of my Neon.I replaced the front on it 4xs in 6 years and it seems the Patty is going to be no different.Good luck to you if you get one.
the 07s are the only ones with this issue. The problem was fixed in the 08 and above MKs
Unread 08-10-2010, 07:18 AM   #6
Urr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus_jack View Post
the 07s are the only ones with this issue. The problem was fixed in the 08 and above MKs
So if the control arm is replaced in 2008 or later, it shouldn't need replacing again after 30-40 000 miles as did the original one?
In bright and happy future: Jeep Wrangler
Urr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urr View Post
So if the control arm is replaced in 2008 or later, it shouldn't need replacing again after 30-40 000 miles as did the original one?
i guess i should have mentioned the early 08s as well, my bad
Unread 08-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
bassinhalman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troys96xj View Post
noting your signature, maybe it is the way you drive. i dont mean that in a smarta** way, i have 08 Patriot with 67000 miles and no problems and it is awesome in the snow.............

Tags
mk , opinions , patriot , problems

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.