Things that annoy you about Your Compass - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Things that annoy you about Your Compass

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-01-2008, 02:20 PM   #91
davep
2007 MK Compass 

New Compass

Just picked up a compass last week; traded in a Toyota Matrix AWD for a 4X4 Sport CVT. They are similar cars; the jeep being much more on the SUV side, Matrix being more on the hatchback side.

My beef is the Matrix, which is less "rugged" also had fold-flat rear and passenger seats, but they folded down to be more flat and had hard plastic armor on the back sides.

Other complaints:

The standard (non-leather) steering wheel on the compass is absolutely terribad. The texture is hard and rough to touch and slippery. I've only put about 100 miles on the car and I called the dealership to replace it with the leather version. If I were to add one of those (ugly) aftermarket steering wheel covers, the thickness of the wheel would be like holding a baseball bat; I can feel my hands cramping just thinking about it.

The headliner color is cream on a grey interior car, and already shows all sorts of marks - it's a 2007 compass but I'm the first owner, the marks are just incidental from the car being test driven and on the dealer's lot for several months (157 miles on the odometer).

Dropping the AUX input on the "upgraded" radios was a very bad move. That feature is listed as a standard on base model cars, and the "MP3 Player Holder" is integrated in the console. It doesn't make sense to remove it, and Mopar only has an ipod-specific aftermarket accessory. 3rd party manufacturers of aux inputs are "hacks" that trick the radio into thinking it's satellite or something, and have questionable reliability. In a perfect world, the Mopar Bluetooth kit would allow music streaming/play control as well as speakerphone connectivity.

Beyond those complaints.. The car has really won me over. I drove a fully loaded "Limited" with the CVT/18" wheels and it really felt sluggish - and I was ready to agree with the magazines I had read. Then I took my car out for a test, CVT/17" wheels "Sport", and I had none of the sluggish performance.. The sales guy at the dealership jokingly said "Well, that leather and all those extra speakers add a bunch of weight" I don't know if the 18" wheels have lower profile tires, but if they don't it could account for some of the lack of pep. I've had no issues with a lack of acceleration; and I'm used to driving a Mustang (albeit a V6).

I've been really impressed with the smooth ride, and the only noise seems to just come from the tires on the road; but no louder than other similar vehicles (all weather tires just a little on the loud side?). One thing that surprised me is because of the smooth acceleration and smooth drive, I tend to drive slower/more relaxed; if you look past the plastic, it really makes me feel like I'm in a luxury car; pretty cool since I picked it up with a bunch of options for $15500 (4x4, CVT, 6 disc radio, sunroof, power everything, vehicle information system, etc.)

Sorry for the text wall!

davep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #92
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

the only complaint I have (I didn't read through all 7 pages)

the ebrake vs the center console - ARGH

also with a stick - that flippy cell phone holder is useless...

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #93
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davep View Post
I don't know if the 18" wheels have lower profile tires, but if they don't it could account for some of the lack of pep.

Sorry for the text wall!
Dave, just FYI: the Sport uses 215/60R17 at 27.2" tall and the Limited uses 215/55R18 at 27.3" tall. If I was guessing it would be that the Limited may not have had the TSB done on it and the Sport did. Other than that maybe you're starting to adapt to the CVT already.

As long as I'm around you can't talk too much, that's my job!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #94
davep
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Dave, just FYI: the Sport uses 215/60R17 at 27.2" tall and the Limited uses 215/55R18 at 27.3" tall.
Well, there goes that theory - maybe it was the extra magnetic force from the premium sound's additional speakers?

Quote:
If I was guessing it would be that the Limited may not have had the TSB done on it and the Sport did.
I actually just ran into that post; I checked the underside of my hood for the TSB sticker, and it doesn't look like that performance update was done - plus I'm having the "lag/stumble/jerk" from a stop or while coasting slowly. My new steering wheel will be here in a week, I'll have 'em do the TSB at the same time!
Unread 04-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #95
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

No matter how hard I try, I cannot figure out how to get the 6.1 liter HEMI out of the wifes SRT8 Charger and fit it under the hood of the Compass ... not to mention doing it without the wife knowing - hehe

Seriously .. the only annoying thing I have found is that glove box doesn't lock. I kinda like to lock stuff in there when I go for a bike ride and not worry about it as much. Other than that ... love the Compass
'07 Compass Limited 4X4: K&N Air charger, Borla cat back exhaust, Rocky Road Lift kit, Firestone Destination A/T 245/65/17's, Red painted brake calipers, Pioneer AVIC Z2, Sirius, iPod interface, Polk Audio 6X9s (all 4 doors), Polk Audio Tweeters (dash), Polk Audio 6.5s (rear hatch), 2 Kicker CVR 10" Sub woofers in custom enclosure (hidden), Eclipse XA4000 4 channel & XA1000 1 channel amplifiers.

Peep my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3031696
rob_rector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #96
davep
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_rector View Post
Seriously .. the only annoying thing I have found is that glove box doesn't lock. I kinda like to lock stuff in there when I go for a bike ride and not worry about it as much. Other than that ... love the Compass
There looks to be plenty of open space under the cargo area floor, if you can't lock stuff, you can hide it!
Unread 04-01-2008, 07:29 PM   #97
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
There looks to be plenty of open space under the cargo area floor, if you can't lock stuff, you can hide it!
Not too much space anymore - for some reason

and with the cover

I actually like the Compass more and more every day I drive it. Which reminds me ... it is time to go home and test out the K&N cold air intake I had installed today
'07 Compass Limited 4X4: K&N Air charger, Borla cat back exhaust, Rocky Road Lift kit, Firestone Destination A/T 245/65/17's, Red painted brake calipers, Pioneer AVIC Z2, Sirius, iPod interface, Polk Audio 6X9s (all 4 doors), Polk Audio Tweeters (dash), Polk Audio 6.5s (rear hatch), 2 Kicker CVR 10" Sub woofers in custom enclosure (hidden), Eclipse XA4000 4 channel & XA1000 1 channel amplifiers.

Peep my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3031696
rob_rector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #98
davep
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Not too much space anymore - for some reason
HAH! Yeah, I'd imagine you'd have problems resting more than a soft, light object into one of those woofer cones (your lucky feather?). Looking at your photo makes me think an aftermarket lockbox for the cargo cubby would be a great product!
Unread 04-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #99
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Well, there goes that theory - maybe it was the extra magnetic force from the premium sound's additional speakers?
Maybe you got to close to the Oregon Vortex. Did you do your test drive down by Medford or Grants Pass?

Quote:
I actually just ran into that post; I checked the underside of my hood for the TSB sticker, and it doesn't look like that performance update was done - plus I'm having the "lag/stumble/jerk" from a stop or while coasting slowly. My new steering wheel will be here in a week, I'll have 'em do the TSB at the same time!
Only on production dates 04/07 or earlier. The "lag/stumble/herky jerky" usually is cured during the assimilation process.

Quote:
No matter how hard I try, (part A) I cannot figure out how to get the 6.1 liter HEMI out of the wife's SRT8 Charger and fit it under the hood of the Compass ... (part B) not to mention doing it without the wife knowing - hehe
I can help you with part A but part B you're on your own.

Unread 04-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #100
davep
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Maybe you got to close to the Oregon Vortex. Did you do your test drive down by Medford or Grants Pass?
Nope, test drives were fairly north of Medford (Cottage Grove).

Quote:
Only on production dates 04/07 or earlier. The "lag/stumble/herky jerky" usually is cured during the assimilation process.
Mine shows a build date of 12/06, don't dash my hopes just yet!
Unread 04-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #101
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Nope, test drives were fairly north of Medford (Cottage Grove).
Must have been the BA sound system like you said.
I remember Cottage Grove. That's where the main wiring harness in my Challenger went on the fritz driving down from Bellevue, WA to Grants Pass back in '92.

Quote:
Mine shows a build date of 12/06, don't dash my hopes just yet!
With a date that early you could be in luck. I hope it all works out!

Unread 04-01-2008, 10:00 PM   #102
jbjeepguy
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Other complaints:

The standard (non-leather) steering wheel on the compass is absolutely terribad. The texture is hard and rough to touch and slippery. ... 3rd party manufacturers of aux inputs are "hacks" that trick the radio into thinking it's satellite or something, ..

Just a counter point- I actually like the plastic steering wheel- big and real grippy (mine is not slippery at all- wonder if something was applied to yours?).

I have the base radio with the AUX input which I used for a week till I got the CHYX adapter that tricks the radio into thinking it is hooked up to the Sirius sat unit. So far it works pretty well and I do not have to keep pressing to mode button every time I turn off the ignition- the base radio will always come on to what ever source was selected before AUX- it will never turn on with the AUX input selected.

07 Compass, FDI, CVT
jbjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #103
davep
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjeepguy View Post
Just a counter point- I actually like the plastic steering wheel- big and real grippy (mine is not slippery at all- wonder if something was applied to yours?).
Gosh, really? It is a thick wheel, but it's like the same plastic as the dash, just feels cheap to me. The Toyota I traded in for the Compass had a plastic wheel that I had no complaints with; it was kind of a smooth leather texture rather than just the random "rough" texture of the Jeep's wheel/dash.
Unread 04-02-2008, 11:33 AM   #104
jbjeepguy
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Gosh, really? It is a thick wheel, but it's like the same plastic as the dash, just feels cheap to me. The Toyota I traded in for the Compass had a plastic wheel that I had no complaints with; it was kind of a smooth leather texture rather than just the random "rough" texture of the Jeep's wheel/dash.

Interesting- I thought the Toyota I got rid of had a cheap feeling plastic wheel and the Jeep wheel feels to be of hight quality. Anyway I have long fingers and the thick Jeep wheel is more comfortable than a thinner wheel.

07 Compass, FDI, CVT
jbjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #105
fuzzyweis
2008 MK Compass 

Just had mine a couple of weeks, but I agree with the posts about the reviews. Either the reviewers treat it like a car and say it gets bad economy, or treat it like a full out SUV and say it has low power.

Used to be 0-60 in 10.2 seconds was down right respectable for an automatic. The Subaru SVX only did it in 7.3 and that was a super sporty model automatic, and everyone thought that was great back then, what's 3 seconds?

If it was old Amigo times like 17 seconds(with a manual), I could understand. But people still loved the old Amigo due to it's 4x4 style

As for the economy, it gets 10% better mpg than the PT Cruiser, which has no AWD, with the same size engine, from the same company, yet reviewers love the Cruiser, go figure.(Cruiser also has a 0-60 time of 10.7 seconds)

Other small annoyances are generally covered, some good ideas on minor upgrades. The lack of a compass does bug me, but I've already ordered a rear view with integrated compass to rectify that.

More aftermarket products would be nice, I've yet to find a picture of a Compass with brush guard, and if I want to upgrade the radio I'll need to find a new console panel due to the factory panel has cutouts for the radio knobs.(unless I'm missing something)

'08 Compass Sport 4X4 CVT
fuzzyweis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.