Things that annoy you about Your Compass - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Things that annoy you about Your Compass

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-13-2007, 05:36 PM   #16
DusterTim

My wishes for the Compass are: a door unlock button on the front passenger door, why did they eliminate that, and lighted visor mirrors and one more, plastic around the rear seat belt receivers on the seat, it is really difficult to buckle up with one hand and to use two hands is difficult.

DusterTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2007, 06:05 PM   #17
phil8400

[QUOTE= plastic around the rear seat belt receivers on the seat, it is really difficult to buckle up with one hand and to use two hands is difficult.[/QUOTE]
phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2007, 08:11 AM   #18
DusterTim

On other cars the rear seat belt recievers ( the one on the seat bottom, the female buckle) are wraped in plastic allowing you to just grab the male end of buckle with one hand and click it into the female end, one hand operation. On the Compass, the female end is loose with no plastic around it, now you have to grab the male end with one hand and the female with the other hand, very awkward. Makes it tough for kids to do it on their own. Try it and you will see what I mean.
DusterTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2007, 03:08 PM   #19
BuzzDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DusterTim
...a door unlock button on the front passenger door, why did they eliminate that...
It seems to be very uncommon for Japanese cars to have a power lock button on the passenger side; my '95 and '96 Maximas were set up that way, and it's probably a cost-saving measure. If you've noticed, there also isn't a lock cylinder on the passenger door exterior. You used to only see that on vehicles that come standard with remote door locks, but it seems to be catching on to most new vehicles. Guess the days of unlocking and opening the door for your lady friend are numbered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DusterTim
...plastic around the rear seat belt receivers on the seat...
This remided me of something I noticed the other day...again, not a biggie. I wish there was a way to unbuckle the rear center shoulder harness where it attaches at the seat cushion. That way, you could let it reel into the retractor and have it completely out of the way.

================
Just turned over 1,111 miles last night!
23.9 mpg from my last tank; a mix of mostly city and some freeway driving
================
BuzzDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2007, 03:40 PM   #20
jetjane

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzDog
This remided me of something I noticed the other day...again, not a biggie. I wish there was a way to unbuckle the rear center shoulder harness where it attaches at the seat cushion. That way, you could let it reel into the retractor and have it completely out of the way.
You can undo the rear center shoulder harness. There is a special little slot on the buckle that you are to insert the male end of one of the other rear seatbelts in. The shoulder strap then retracts into the side of cargo area out of the way and leaves only a stubby little piece at the seat cushion. I hope this makes sense. Instructions can probably be found in the owner's manual...I say probably because my experience with the owner's manual so far has been that it is missing the sections with the info I needed.
jetjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #21
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

Two things I would have liked to have are a 12v power tap in the rear seat area for the kids electronics, and a set of rear map/reading lights for the rear seat passengers. When time and motivation occur together I'll probably add those two items myself.
unibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #22
BuzzDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjane
You can undo the rear center shoulder harness. There is a special little slot on the buckle that you are to insert the male end of one of the other rear seatbelts in. The shoulder strap then retracts into the side of cargo area out of the way and leaves only a stubby little piece at the seat cushion. I hope this makes sense. Instructions can probably be found in the owner's manual...I say probably because my experience with the owner's manual so far has been that it is missing the sections with the info I needed.
Thanks! I don't actually think it's in the manual, at least not where the index pointed me...
Unread 01-15-2007, 09:17 AM   #23
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Thanks! I don't actually think it's in the manual, at least not where the index pointed me...

For those who need to know, it's on page 43 of the Manual. "Things to know before starting your vehicle" "Second row center lap/shoulder belt operating instructions." Not listed separately in the index but is under the "Seat Belts" section.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick

Last edited by Gramps; 01-15-2007 at 10:25 AM..
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 11:28 AM   #24
phil8400

This thing:

I wish this piece of the center console was only one moulded piece flowing into the rest of the dash.

When I look at it from the side, I just wonder…”why did they do that?”.
Perhaps this is a prop for the above dash NAV system…which in my opinion looks terrible also.
07_compass_det_dash.jpg  
Unread 01-15-2007, 12:02 PM   #25
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8400
This thing:

I wish this piece of the center console was only one moulded piece flowing into the rest of the dash.

When I look at it from the side, I just wonder…”why did they do that?”.
Perhaps this is a prop for the above dash NAV system…which in my opinion looks terrible also.
Just a guess but, I think that all of the center stack from the shifter to the top of the dash is going to be interchangeable between the Caliber/Compass/Patriot to save on production costs. Since the area between the Windshield and the front edge of the dash is different on all of them making a long one piece molded dash for each of them would have added to the cost.

If someone comes up with a nice dash pad this may be covered up with that.

Last edited by Gramps; 01-15-2007 at 12:15 PM..
Unread 01-16-2007, 12:45 AM   #26
stevej1j8

My pet peeves are similar to a number of others. I had the Compass for almost three months and find that with only six hours of light a day, I miss all the interior lights I have with my 95 Dodge Caravan.

1. Light over back seats
2. Glove box light
3. Lights on all power window and door switches
4. Lighted cup holders
5. Lock on glove box
6. Rubberized padding in all the litttle cubby holes to keep stuff, e.g. sunglasses from sliding noisily around.

I went to a Parts Pick 'n' Pull and got a glove box light and map lights from a 95 Dodge Caravan. Once I get my Service Manual CD, I plan to upgrade the lights.

Other than that, I love my Compass and will enjoy it more when I've fully personalized it.
stevej1j8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2007, 05:49 AM   #27
BuzzDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej1j8
6. Rubberized padding in all the litttle cubby holes to keep stuff, e.g. sunglasses from sliding noisily around.

I've already vented about the lack of a door on the cubby under the radio. I'm going to Office Depot or Staples in the next few days to get one of those "sticky pads" that people put on top of their dashboards to hold a cell phone, and I'm cutting it to fit in that particular cubby. That way, I won't get hit by my ID badge flying out of the hole every time I accelerate.

I think that particular cubby is single-DIN sized, so I may search eBay and try to find a DIN-sized cubby with a door. As I recall, the one in my Maxima was single-DIN.
Unread 01-16-2007, 06:38 AM   #28
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:

I've already vented about the lack of a door on the cubby under the radio. I'm going to Office Depot or Staples in the next few days to get one of those "sticky pads" that people put on top of their dashboards to hold a cell phone, and I'm cutting it to fit in that particular cubby. That way, I won't get hit by my ID badge flying out of the hole every time I accelerate.

I think that particular cubby is single-DIN sized, so I may search eBay and try to find a DIN-sized cubby with a door. As I recall, the one in my Maxima was single-DIN.
Not sure on the nomenclature for the size. I did the eBay thing to try and find an ash tray to fit there and the ones that were called "DIN" were too big. Is there such a thing as "mini-DIN"? or maybe it is a single din as you say.

Unread 01-16-2007, 07:58 AM   #29
PeteC
2000 TJ Wrangler 

No Compass in the Compass.

We did not get the EVIC in our limited as it is just extra money for something that is not critical. Anyway, No EVIC=No Compass.

Kind of sucks if you ask me.
There is no Bandaid for Stupidity
Sorry if my support of legal wheeling offends you
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2007, 11:20 AM   #30
phil8400

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC
No Compass in the Compass.

We did not get the EVIC in our limited as it is just extra money for something that is not critical. Anyway, No EVIC=No Compass.

Kind of sucks if you ask me.
I don't have the EVIC either and you're right, it sucks
I wish I had it, but there were no Compass's to be had when I needed to buy. I was lucky to get mine. Had to make a trade with an out of town dealer who at first, was reluctant. He apparently had two people “looking” at it. I told my salesman to try harder or I would just go and buy it over there

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.