Test drove a Patriot today... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Test drove a Patriot today...

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap Skid

Unread 01-16-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Test drove a Patriot today...

So I test drove a Patriot today. I'm in the military in Korea, going to be here for a few years, and I'm hating the '99 Kia that I bought simply because it was cheap. Cheap in sooooo many ways...

Anyway, I wanted something nicer than the Kia, bigger inside, AWD for these NASTY winters (or at least FWD with traction control and I'd buy some winter tires), but reasonably-sized so I can still get down the alleys to my apartment and fit it into the garage.

Drove a Ford Focus...meh. Did absolutely nothing for me. Drove a Ford Fusion Sport...very nice, quick, but honestly kinda long and wide for the alleys around here.

Then I drove the Patriot. I almost didn't drive it because the reviews that I've read haven't been terribly kind...they focused in on the interior (updated since most of the reviews were written), and the CVT...the reviews I've read have panned it as being unresponsive and slow. The one I drove was a FWD, CVT, pretty much a base model. I was stunned...I really liked it! The new dash is nice, it would fit nicely in the garage and down the alleys here, it's very maneuverable, and it just felt good from behind the wheel. I did kinda feel like I was driving it from inside a bunker looking out the gun port, but I could still easily see all the corners of the vehicle and didn't notice any huge blind spots. What really surprised me was the CVT. I was prepared to dislike it based on the reviews I had read, but I found it to be endlessly entertaining! I like that even in Drive there is some engine braking available, and I'm sure the autostick would help out even more. I didn't find it to be sluggish at all, and I liked the fact that you're never in the wrong gear for going up a hill. I walked away from it glad that I had driven it, and stunned at how much I liked it!

There's a Limited AWD arriving at the end of January that I think I'd like. It's a pretty well loaded limited (most everything but nav and the low-range gearing). I'm still mulling it over, but that CVT really won me over on the test drive. And I'm a die-hard manual transmission lover.

Anything I should look for or look out for? It should be fairly fresh off the assembly line so I'd assume any TSB's or earlier issues would have been corrected.

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 06:38 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

WOW, your last post on the forum was over 2 years ago? We're glad you came back!

We've got a link to the TSB's and Rapid Responses up in the Quick Links sticky, you may want to skim through those but as far as things to look for these are all in the past:

Loose tie rods, ball joints, steering module, out of alignment and leaking roof.

Like I said, these are hopefully things that are all in the past and really weren't common problems at all. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another MK. They really hold up pretty well.

I think most of us with the CVT feel like it's gotten a bad rap, you either like it or you don't. It's 'different' but I like it.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
DXT
2012 JK Wrangler 

I really like the CVT also and feel that it has gotten a bad rap.
DXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 01:13 AM   #4
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

I wuv my CVT. Don't really understand all the hate towards it. Then again, I don't really understand most gripes towards the Patriot in general...
Unread 01-22-2010, 02:11 AM   #5
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the comments. Still haven't made up my mind yet, but leaning more and more towards getting it.

Unread 01-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
Edstu234
1995 ZJ 

I've had my 08 for almost two years and love it. The cvt really grows on you and I enjoy it more than other trannies. I love how I can be cruising at 60+ and just give it alittle gas and it climbs till your going way to fast. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
Edstu234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 04:47 AM   #7
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

I put a hold on the silver limited, and it should arrive on Thursday. I've got about 10 days before I either have to buy it or the hold gets removed. I just have to get a few things in order before I can buy it...biggest thing is I have to sell the Kia because the military here limits you to one car per person at a time. So Thursday or Friday I'll take a close look at the Patriot I have on hold, and if I like it, then the Kia will go up for sale that day. Unfortunately I won't have it in time to deal with the roads right now...got some snow today, it turned to a light rain, and now the slush is freezing all over the roads. Looks like tomorrow I'll be walking to work again and hopefully not slipping too many times!

Unread 01-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
fishgutz
2010 MK Patriot 

Soldierguy, first things first. Thanks for your service. Say Hi to SFC Soriano for me if you see him.
The Patriot is on my list toi consider for replacing our 1999 Cherokee that has over 180K miles.
My problem, that the Patriot seems to resolve, is that I am 6' tall and my wofe is 5'10". My 14 year old son is 6'2" and not done growing yet.
I sat in the drivers seat and for the first time in years, all the way back was just a little too far. With the front seat set for me, I tried to sit in the seat behind the driver. No go. Knees in the back of the seat. So no way my son will fit.
So I set the passenger front for me and therefore my wife who has longer legs than me.
When I sat behind, there was enough room for my son. Well, until he hit 6'5" anyway.
I checked the specs on the much touted Chevy Traverse. 3" less rear leg room and over $30K. Are you sheeting me?
So, Bottom line, it appears the Patriot meets most of my criteria. <$25K. Fits my family. Has a 2" Hitch available, and it reporting 30MPg highway even if the rating is only 25.
fishgutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 01:12 AM   #9
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

One step closer

so on the way home today in the Kia, all the sudden it decides that it doesn't want to run unless I keep my foot on the gas all the time. Now I'm facing the choice of spending money on the Kia to fix it before I sell it, or junking it. There's a guy around here who advertises that he'll give a minimum of $100 for any car, any condition...right now I'm thinking that may not be a bad thing. Ahh the joys of driving an 11 year old Kia of unknown history...lol!

And fishgutz...thanks very much! Don't know SFC Soriano, but there's a whole bunch of people around here I don't know...lol! The Patriot is surprisingly roomy....unexpected because it is several inches shorter in height than its competitors.

I took a close look at the silver Patriot limited 4X4 yesterday...a lot nicer than I expected. The black leather interior looks great, and because the vehicle is silver, the limited model's silver trim on the front & rear bumpers and on the sides blends right it, which is a good thing in my book. So hopefully I'll be driving the Patriot by the end of next week, once I get the Kia out of my name and get the money straight for the Patriot.

Unread 01-29-2010, 06:32 AM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

That's too bad on the KIA! What would the trade in value be if it ran well? Regardless, the Patriot definitely would be a big improvement!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

You didn't want to trade th Kia in? I got 1500 dollars for a real piece of crap in 2007, just to get me to buy a new Compass..

PS As poster above said, thanks for your service to our country!
Elihawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 01:59 AM   #12
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
You didn't want to trade th Kia in?
There is no trade-in here. You sell your current vehicle and get it out of your name. Only one vehicle allowed per person here so the existing vehicle must be out of your name before being able to register the new one. There are exceptions, but to have more than one vehicle generally requires a spouse...not going to get one of those anytime soon!

Unfortunately I'll be driving the Kia a bit longer. I had a rather substantial unexpected expense, which pretty much killed the down payment on the Patriot. I could do it with little to no money down and have no problem affording the payments, but I do not want to do it that way...I never put myself in the position of being upside-down on a vehicle loan, so the Patriot purchase is on hold for now.

I'd leave the Kia running with the keys in it somewhere, but I seriously doubt it would get stolen! lol!

Unread 02-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #13
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

^^^^ I guess you'd have to leave a brick on the gas pedal since you said it needed to hold the gas or it would stall out.

I suggest a block of ice, and pop it in drive - by the time the police and insurance get there, the ice is melted, the car is a write off, and since you are in Korea, they would understand why the Kia is a write off.
Unread 02-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #14
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

lol at the insurance possibilities. The Patriot really is a great vehicle. I can fit comfortably in the back, and I am not small. I can't even reach the windshield leaning forward in the passenger seat. My friend has it, and that autostick CVT really is a great tranny. Good luck getting rid of the kia in some great offer.

I hope all pans out for you, and thanks for what you do.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #15
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

I drove a Kia Sportage over the holidays as a rental...and to say it was unimpressive would be an understatement!
Elihawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.