tell me a bit about the patriot 4wd system - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > tell me a bit about the patriot 4wd system

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 08-25-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
zippome
2000 WJ 

tell me a bit about the patriot 4wd system

so i have a wj but i have a few questions about the new patriots. my dad is looking for a car to replace his forrester xt and of course i thought jeep. i cant really find too much info about the 4wd system in these things. is it 4 wheel all time or can you switch from 2 to 4. is it electronic can i dictate when it does what. a 5spd, 4x4 patriot would be ideal.

thanks
mark

4" Zone Offroad Kit, 16x7 Cragar Soft 8's, 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns, Rock-It Sliders, Rancho SS, Yakima Load Warrior, Flowmaster Super 40, Reverse Lights, 2 Lights Up Front, Custom 6 Switch Plate, Cobra 76 XTR CB with PA, Lightbar, Custom Hitch Tire Carrier, Fleabay Warm Air Intake
zippome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

In short, the 4x4 MKs are FWD until slip is found. Then the rears will kick in. You can use the 4x4 lock switch, which makes it 50/50 all the time. Otherwise, I believe it's 60/40 if memory serves me correctly.

Look up FD-I (one) and FD-II (2) and you'll find more info.

Below is a few "Similar Threads" to go through as well.
Read my Blog on Jeepspace
Knightfallzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
zippome
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightfallzx2 View Post
In short, the 4x4 MKs are FWD until slip is found. Then the rears will kick in. You can use the 4x4 lock switch, which makes it 50/50 all the time. Otherwise, I believe it's 60/40 if memory serves me correctly.

i read up a bit on them. so is there a way to lock it in 4wd with FD-I? because you cant get it 5spd with FD-II, correct?
4" Zone Offroad Kit, 16x7 Cragar Soft 8's, 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns, Rock-It Sliders, Rancho SS, Yakima Load Warrior, Flowmaster Super 40, Reverse Lights, 2 Lights Up Front, Custom 6 Switch Plate, Cobra 76 XTR CB with PA, Lightbar, Custom Hitch Tire Carrier, Fleabay Warm Air Intake
Unread 08-26-2009, 04:03 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

This could be worth a read.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/h...-works-512380/

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2009, 06:41 AM   #5
TheHeilis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippome View Post
i read up a bit on them. so is there a way to lock it in 4wd with FD-I? because you cant get it 5spd with FD-II, correct?
Correct there is a switch/lever to lock the 4wd in for low traction conditions. And you cannot get FDII in 5spd manual.
TheHeilis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
polished_heckle
2007 MK Patriot 

Jeep - 4x4 Basics - How Jeep 4x4 Systems Work - Freedom-Drive I - 4WD SUVs

FDI and FDII explained.
polished_heckle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
zippome
2000 WJ 

perfect, that was exactly what i was looking for. thanks a lot everyone
Unread 02-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
Turbozcs2003
2002 WJ 

Old thread but have a question on a Patriot with 5 speed and FDI

What transaxle do they use for the 5 speed and since the system can be locked, at what speed can you drive it in the locked mode. Could you drive it on the highway when it is snowing in the locked mode doing say 45-55 mph??

Jeep marketting needs a kick in the *** to explain.

I assume on snow/wet highway one can lock it so the tourque is split 50/50?

Or can you only lock it and drive slow?? If so what is the max speed?

I am not a fan of the real time AWD systems, friend has a body shop up here in maine and fixes way too many smashed up lezabrus Forrestor and Outback junk and now CRV;s with their crap systems. as he says, from the wheels that grip, to the wheels that slip then into the ditch, tree or some other poor vitim next to them LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightfallzx2 View Post

Turbozcs2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

I have the 5 speed manual and I heard that it is based on a transaxle used for a Neon. I have used 4X4 Lock which is 50/50 at highway speeds in deep snow, no drama at all even though the video says low speed. Full time 4X4 is Not 60/40 but is 100% FWD until it needs more traction or performance.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The 5 speed is a T-355.

You can turn the lock on/off at any speed. The lock is a 50/50 to start out and up to about 25 or so for snow/poor traction conditions and then reverts to an "on demand" so you can leave it there even on dry pavement. Since it's connected electronically you don't have the same differential wrap up like in a gear driven 4x4. I've run mine at 60-65 mph before.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4x4 system , 5 speed , compass , patriot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.