TCS operation in cross-axle hang-up and similar situations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > TCS operation in cross-axle hang-up and similar situations

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-27-2008, 03:44 AM   #1
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

TCS operation in cross-axle hang-up and similar situations

In another forum there is a discussion on-going regarding the way Jeep Patriots and Compasses behave / should behave in a situation where only one wheel per axle has traction. There seems to be some confusion between what the manual says, how people interpret what the manual says, and real-life experience. From what I've read from the manual, the TCS should act in a similar manner as a limited slip differential, but one video of an FDII Patriot showed an airborne wheel spinning freely until the vehicle was put into low range.

Have folks over here tested their MKs performance in a similar situation? Even better, do you have video of it? If so, I'd love to hear about it!

Tony1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Urr

I have been in situations almoust like this, but Compass was in both situations in some angle and simple gravity might have done the job...
But, to think of it, in one case there was a big bump on the "road" and I stopped one wheel on it, only two wheels touching the ground, sometimes three as Compass was just hanging there... So the gravity couldn't push me upwards onto that bump, when I went there. But it may have been just luck
In bright and happy future: Jeep Wrangler
Urr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2008, 01:30 AM   #3
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

Here's a video posted to "the other place". Several times you can see an airborne wheel just spin freely. I guess that talk in the manual about the TCS acting as a limited slip was just marketing BS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69QmaNrvwdQ
Unread 12-25-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
polished_heckle
2007 MK Patriot 

Tony, that's not an FDII in the video. No tow hooks.
polished_heckle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

You can hear that its a Diesel, that means FD I and a 6 spd. It could have used some better tires and a running start too but that wouldn't change the wheel spin, just made it easier. Electronic simulation is never quite as good as the real thing.

On the big screen they showed us the sun
But not as bright in life as the real one
Its never quite the same as the real one
Grey Seal - Elton john.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2008, 02:59 PM   #6
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

I am quite well aware of what sort of vehicle is in the video, thank you. However, nowhere in the manual does it claim that "limited slip"-type performance is available only on the FDII. Quite contrary. Hence, the question in the first place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.