Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Sway bar disconnect?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Gramps 
#1 ·
The Patriot is very eager to lift its paws as soon as the terrain gets a bit uneven. Not being mechanically very savvy I have no idea if this is a very stupid idea or not, but has anyone looked at disconnecting the anti-sway bar for off-roading? Would it be possible, how much more stretch would doing this offer, what would the possible downsides to this be (outside of driving on the roads with the bar disconnected, of course :) )?

#2 ·
I know that many of "the Big Boys" disconnect theirs for off road. Since you're driving slower, I can't see any harm that it would do. I seems that you're already aware of the extra lean at speeds that you'll have driving it on the road that way.

#3 ·
Well, it's a whole year later - and I still haven't gotten around to disconnecting the damn things. Yeah, my projects, they are completed fast... :rolleyes:

I was actually looking at the undercarriage of the Jeep last spring and thinking about this, when I noticed something: With the suspension at full droop, with the 2" lift, the brake line seems quite taut enough. I am not sure of how big an increase in the wheels movement range disconnecting the anti-roll bars would create, but I am unwilling to try without first making sure the brake lines can handle it. And, not being very mechanically savvy, the brakes are one thing I'd rather not mess with without knowing for sure how to do it right. Has anyone else looked at this issue? What do you guys think?

#4 ·
DO NOT touch your brake lines! I also have noticed such on my lifted Compass. Unless you have a mechanic friend who can extend those lines, you should not mess with your anti-sway bars. Just my opinion, but I won't touch mine. Good luck.

#5 ·
I was going to wait to respond to this after I had some more time to look into it but this is what you need to do. Look up the factory hose and then look in the buyers guide to find what fitting are used on each end. I always used the NAPA parts books because that's where I worked, other parts houses and manufacturers may have a similar set up. Then you look threw the buyers guide until you find a longer hose with the same ends and possibly some correct brackets but you can usually find a work around on those if needed. From there it's a simple replace and bleed the brakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.