Suspension noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Suspension noise

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 04-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
louthmale

Suspension noise

My 2012 compass limited has developed a knocking noise from the front left corner area. Took it to my dealer who kept it for a couple of days test drove it and heard the noise but couldn't diagnose where it was coming from. He said they checked the subframe bolts and torqued all the sub frame and front suspension bolts but it hasn't cured the noise. If only seems to happen when the front suspension is at full extension and it a metal on metal noise that it makes. He is suggesting it could be the top shock mount and the next step now is to replace that but he isn't sure if it will help. Does anyone have any experience of a similar problem?. I have said it to him about the obvious track rod ends etc that seem to fail prematurely but he dismissed this saying it was far too early for that to happen (6800 km on the clock)

louthmale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

My 2011 had a lot of suspension noise when new on rough roads. Also noticed it more when light than heavy. It's gone away over time. Mine was more in the rear though.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

Mine makes similar sounds from front end drivers side. Only hear it over bumps and at lower speeds. Dealer found nothing out of ordinary. Only 2900 miles but did it since day 1..starting to think it might be normal. But hopefully it goes away.
Lehman26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
louthmale

Thanks guys. I agree it's less noisy on rough ground seems a bit odd. I'm beginning to think it's more of a greasing issue seems to happen more the longer I'm driving. Im thinking something is drying out as it heats up hopefully over time it will cure itself
louthmale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Its probably the cheap bushings they use need to break in over time.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.