JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Stuck in Reverse/Neutral (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/stuck-reverse-neutral-1505735/)

tomsjeep123 04-07-2013 06:11 PM

Stuck in Reverse/Neutral

I recently purchase at Jeep Patriot 2010 with 38K miles on it. This morning when leaving church I started the vehicle and shifted into drive. However the vehicle did not engage into drive but instead was in reverse. So with my foot on the break I shifted back to reverse and tried drive again. It was still stuck in reverse. I tried neutral with the same results. Then I tried putting it in park. When I got to park it still said reverse and now the shifter would not move. I tried to restart the vehicle but once I had turned it off now the shifter was stuck and the vehicle would not start. Next I tried popping the override switch on the right of the shifter. This allowed me to move the shifter out of park but the dash still read reverse and the vehicle would not start. We noticed the vehicle seemed to be in neutral though because with any amount of force you could push it. We tried disconnecting the battery, resetting the fuses, applying and disengaging the emergency brake, and a rolling start. No matter what the vehicle was still read reverse yet seemed to be in neutral and would not start. The key can only be moved to one position forward, the radio would not turn on. Any suggestions? Has anyone else had this problem? I will be calling the dealer in the morning as they were closed on Sunday. Thanks for any help you can provide. I searched through the forum but could not really find this issue.

Stud_man50 04-07-2013 06:15 PM

I'm not to familiar with a patriot but it seems the linkage going to the shifter has come off. I had this happen to my wrangler and when I crawled underneath I saw the broken linkage. I would say your best bet would be the dealer if its under warranty or a trusty mechanic.

Gramps 04-08-2013 06:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ADJUSTMENT
1. Place TRS (transmission Range Selector) switch and selector lever in the PARK position.
2. Loosen the nut (4) that holds the shifter cable to the manual lever.
3. While pressing the manual lever towards the front of the vehicle in the PARK position direction, tighten the nut to 13 N•m (10 ft. lbs.).
4. Make sure that the park system is engaged when lever is placed in the PARK position.
5. Place the selector lever in PARK position and turn the ignition switch to on position (engine not running).
6. Make sure that the selector lever can be shifted to a different position other than PARK when the brake pedal is depressed. Also make sure the lever can be shifted from PARK only when the brake pedal is depressed.
7. Move and check for excessive effort, sticking, noise or rattle.
8. Confirm that the selector lever stops at each position with the feel of engagement when it is moved through all the positions. Check whether or not the actual position the selector lever is in matches the position shown by the shift position indicator and the transaxle valve body.
9. Confirm that the backup lamps illuminate only when the lever is placed in the REVERSE position. Confirm the backup lamps do not illuminate when the lever is placed in the PARK or NEUTRAL positions with the lever pushed against the REVERSE position.
10. Confirm the engine will only start when the lever is placed in the PARK or NEUTRAL positions.

jeepatriot10 01-12-2014 10:50 AM

The part you have to adjust; where is it located? How do you get to it?

Gramps 01-13-2014 02:54 PM

Take off the engine cover and it's down close to the firewall and exhaust but higher up.

jeepatriot10 01-26-2014 06:57 AM

I'm sorry but I'm not very mechanical. Please forgive my ignorant questions. Do you have to go through the hood to fix the problem or underneath the car? I am trying to fix the problem on my own instead of taking it to the shop and them robbing me. I would appreciate as much info as you can give me and thank you very much.

jeepatriot10 01-26-2014 02:09 PM

I found it. When I move the manual lever with my hand it goes in gear, but when use the shifter it will not move it. That bolt on the manual lever is tight. What could be causing this. What am I doing wrong. Could it be where the the cable meets the shifter is the problem. And, if so, how do I fix that?

jeepatriot10 01-26-2014 02:15 PM

I found it. When I move the manual lever with my hand it goes in gear, but when use the shifter it will not move it. That bolt on the manual lever is tight. What could be causing this. What am I doing wrong. Could it be where the the cable meets the shifter is the problem. And, if so, how do I fix that?

The time now is 03:32 AM.