Strut Tower Brace - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Strut Tower Brace

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-22-2007, 06:46 AM   #16
TeHpWNaG3
2007 MK Patriot 

A. Strut Tower Brace Kit
B. Close up of Firewall Bracket
C. Mounting location of Firewall Bracket.
D. Strut Tower mount
E. Brace installed. The windshield valance (directly under "E") is removed to allow access to the blindside of the firewall.

The instructions were easy to understand. Only the firewall and firewall insulation required drilling and cutting, respectively. The brace is made of steel and is nicely finished with aluminum-colored paint and a Mopar decal plate. The brace did not interfere with any of the engine components. There is approx. 1.5" between the brace and the stock airbox, if that matters to someone with a cold-air intake mod(???). Job time: 1.5 hours.

What the instructions won't mention:
Figure C shows (not too well because I did a good job) a cut I made to the firewall insulation. This allows the Firewall Bracket (Figure B) access to the firewall mounting holes. The mounting holes need to be drilled, so the brace assembly will have to be removed after the holes are marked. I used a dab of grease on the bolt threads prior to final torque. When the brace is fully installed, the bracket should be hidden for a clean appearance.

I did notice a bit more lateral stiffness but don't have enough road time to make a final performance evaluation. I'll run it for a week and post my thoughts.

Last edited by TeHpWNaG3; 10-27-2007 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: Update
TeHpWNaG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2007, 10:56 PM   #17
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeHpWNaG3

A. Strut Tower Brace Kit
B. Close up of Firewall Bracket
C. Mounting location of Firewall Bracket.
D. Strut Tower mount
E. Brace installed. The windshield valance (directly under "E") is removed to allow access to the blindside of the firewall.

The instructions were easy to understand. Only the firewall and firewall insulation required drilling and cutting, respectively. The brace is made of steel and is nicely finished with aluminum-colored paint and a Mopar decal plate. The brace did not interfere with any of the engine components. There is approx. 1.5" between the brace and the stock airbox, if that matters to someone with a cold-air intake mod(???). Job time: 1.5 hours.

What the instructions won't mention:
Figure C shows (not too well because I did a good job) a cut I made to the firewall insulation. This allows the Firewall Bracket (Figure B) access to the firewall mounting holes. The mounting holes need to be drilled, so the brace assembly will have to be removed after the holes are marked. I used a dab of grease on the bolt threads prior to final torque. When the brace is fully installed, the bracket should be hidden for a clean appearance.

I did notice a bit more lateral stiffness but don't have enough road time to make a final performance evaluation. I'll run it for a week and post my thoughts.

Clean install. Thanks for the pics!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #18
TeHpWNaG3
2007 MK Patriot 

Well, it's been a month or so since I installed this bad boy and here's my ride report.

Any handling issues the brace was intended to address did not manifest itself during real-world driving. The brace is very well constructed and looks great, but doesn't seem to serve any practical purpose other than stiffening the frame, if anything. Perhaps this is the way it's supposed to be, but for my money I was hoping for a little more tactile feedback from the vehicle after installing this mod.

Get it, if you want it. My opinion is that the Patriot doesn't need it. In hindsight, I think the 2" lift would have been a better purchase for even money.

pWN

p.s. This brace is not compatible with the Cold Air Intake mod. The brace will interfere with the "air box".
TeHpWNaG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2008, 11:54 PM   #19
cristoferj81

Compass Strut Tower Brace Install Question

I have a 2007 Compass Limited and just purchased the Mopar Strut Tower Brace. It looked like it would be an easy install, but the Mopar instructions included are not specific enough and I am running into problems. Has anyone installed this yet, and if so, can you provide any tips from removing the cowl to drilling in the firewall. Thanks.
cristoferj81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 12:25 AM   #20
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...=469001&page=2
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 04:48 AM   #21
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Threads merged. Thanks 07compasssport.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.