Strange "Oil Change Required" Behavior - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Strange "Oil Change Required" Behavior

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #1
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

Strange "Oil Change Required" Behavior

Hi guys,

I've done a forum search for this issue but couldn't find anyone else mention it, so I thought I'd run it by all of you.

I've seen the "oil change required" indicator before. For me, it usually comes on at around 5,000 miles (although I know it's not distance-based, but rather takes other factors into account). If I remember it right, the message stays lit for a few seconds, and the check engine light comes on. No problem.

In this case, I had driven about 300 miles on a highway, took a break for about 20 minutes, and when I started the car again, the message came up, and has been coming up ever since then. I had only driven about 1,500 miles since my last oil change.

However, it's a bit strange, which is why I wanted to run it by all of you. It seems as if the message appears after about three to five seconds of starting the car, which is longer than I remember it taking. More importantly, it disappears very quickly, either before or right around the time that the warning tone stops. The check engine light never illuminates during this whole process.

I've read over the procedure for resetting this indicator, which I'm thinking about trying. Two questions: is this a cause for concern about anything? And am I somehow mis-remembering how the usual oil change indicator worked, and this is how it's always been?

Thanks for the help!

WingedScapula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

If there's no check engine light associated with it I wouldn't be too concerned. If it were me, I'd do the reset procedure, and keep an eye on it for a few start cycles. I think if there's any problem it has to happen multiple starts in a row or there won't be a code and associated light. If you reset it and it comes on again then I'd assume something is up. Also. Check your oil level. Maybe somebody didnt tighten a filter and you lost some.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Oh and I think there usually is a delay for the oil warning after starting the car. I think the car runs a few self diagnostics when you turn the key to on and it takes a few seconds to figure out the results.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.