Strange honking noise from brakes while reversing - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Strange honking noise from brakes while reversing

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-16-2007, 09:45 AM   #16
Doba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Doba,
Sorry that I didn't look here earlier. I didn't expect to see this in the SM, it's very lean on any trouble shooting info!

Found this in the Service Manual:

DISC BRAKE MOAN OR HOWL WHILE BRAKING IN REVERSE

Rear disc brake caliper guide pin bolts installed in incorrect locations.

Remove lower guide pin bolt and inspect for special sleeve on tip. If sleeve is present, remove upper and lower guide pin bolts and install special sleeved bolt in upper location and standard guide pin bolt in lower location. Perform on both sides of vehicle. Replace rear brake pads.

Thanks Gramps, I'll have to print this out and take it to the service department.

Doba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 12:15 PM   #17
zxjockey
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doba
Thanks Gramps, I'll have to print this out and take it to the service department.
Mine just started doing this as well. I'm going to the dealer with this blurb myself. What a teeth-cracking sound!
zxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 02:49 PM   #18
Trek620
2008 MK Patriot 

Liberty's had this

My 05 Liberty had this same problem and eventually there was a TSB to fix it. Took it to the dealer, informed them I knew of the TSB and they fixed it no charge. If you search the Liberty forum you can find more info. Too bad it's carried over to your Compass. So far my Patriot has not had the problem.
Trek620 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.