Strange honking noise from brakes while reversing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Strange honking noise from brakes while reversing

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-07-2007, 11:11 AM   #1
Doba

Strange honking noise from brakes while reversing

Our Compass has been doing this for a few months now. When going in REVERSE only and lightly on the brakes they make an aweful sound. We asked the dealership and they told us there was nothing they could do and that was the way it was going to be. I can't accept that answer and I'm looking for a better one. Has this happened to anyone else?

Doba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I have brake drag noise only in the morning backing out of my drive way after sitting over night, no other time. I never thought much of it because I've had that on other stuff too. Seems to be less now that the weather is warming up and drying out. Totally different weather between Phoenix and Madison.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
Doba

It is all the time and pretty loud. Pretty embarassing driving a brand new car and it makes those types of noises.
Unread 05-07-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

I know the brakes adjust themselves when you reverse, my Caliber makes a sort of grinding noise when backing up.
Unread 05-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
indianrefining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doba
Our Compass has been doing this for a few months now. When going in REVERSE only and lightly on the breaks they make an aweful sound. We asked the dealership and they told us there was nothing they could do and that was the way it was going to be. I can't accept that answer and I'm looking for a better one. Has this happened to anyone else?
Maybe it's that guy behind you!
indianrefining is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 07:37 AM   #6
BuzzDog

Try SLAMMING on the brakes a few times in reverse. Might just be an automatic brake adjuster that needs to be freed up.
BuzzDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2007, 11:40 AM   #7
Doba

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrefining
Maybe it's that guy behind you!
Somehow I don't think that is it.

I'll try slamming the breaks and see if that works.
Unread 05-14-2007, 11:53 AM   #8
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

The Compass has 4 wheel disk brakes.... There are no "adjusters" as one would have with a drum style brake system.
unibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 05:19 AM   #9
BuzzDog

Doh...I knew that! However, I wonder why my rear brake drag goes away for a few weeks when I slam the brake pedal in reverse?
Unread 05-15-2007, 06:49 AM   #10
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzDog
Try SLAMMING on the brakes a few times in reverse. Might just be an automatic brake adjuster that needs to be freed up.
If as you said.... "Doh...I knew that!" then why did you mention it in your above post.

Aside from that, if your rear brakes are dragging then there is something wrong with them that you should have the dealer attend to or fix yourself. Dragging brakes will cause excessive brake wear, lower mileage, or worse warp the rotors.
Unread 05-15-2007, 04:19 PM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Doba,
Sorry that I didn't look here earlier. I didn't expect to see this in the SM, it's very lean on any trouble shooting info!

Found this in the Service Manual:

DISC BRAKE MOAN OR HOWL WHILE BRAKING IN REVERSE

Rear disc brake caliper guide pin bolts installed in incorrect locations.

Remove lower guide pin bolt and inspect for special sleeve on tip. If sleeve is present, remove upper and lower guide pin bolts and install special sleeved bolt in upper location and standard guide pin bolt in lower location. Perform on both sides of vehicle. Replace rear brake pads.

Unread 05-15-2007, 09:35 PM   #12
pillzny

My brakes also make that sound in the morning or for sitting for a couple of hours... especially after rain. I just pump the brakes a couple of times and it goes away
pillzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 10:08 PM   #13
BuzzDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibus
If as you said.... "Doh...I knew that!" then why did you mention it in your above post.
I knew I have four wheel disks, but just forgot about the minor detail of not having adjusters. I may be a bit older than you, and may have a few more things on my mind than you do.

Please don't be so quick to judge...I though people were nice on this forum? Guess I may be wrong...
Unread 05-16-2007, 04:49 AM   #14
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibus

Lighten up guys! I could have said something really dumb like "make sure your brake rods aren't bent". How many remember non-hydraulic brakes?

Even though there are no adjusters on disc brakes this procedure may work. Disc brake pads get a glaze built up on them and slamming on the brakes in reverse sometimes acts like sandpaper to remove the glaze. Same result just a different reason why it works.

Something else I'll add to my "dumb" list; I was always checking the air pressure in the tires dururing the winter and pumping them up as needed. Don't forget to check them now that the temps have warmed up, I was up to 41 lbs COLD!

Unread 05-16-2007, 06:54 AM   #15
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzDog
I knew I have four wheel disks, but just forgot about the minor detail of not having adjusters. I may be a bit older than you, and may have a few more things on my mind than you do.

Please don't be so quick to judge...I though people were nice on this forum? Guess I may be wrong...
No offense intended BuzzDog... I just don't like to see misleading info ( I get enough of that from the dealership ) that might misdirect those who have minimal car knowledge.

I'll try not to jump so fast next time.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.